Battleship

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I saw this movie Friday and I really liked it. Much better than the previews led on.

Plot? holes everywhere
Dialog? Ok
Lots of CGI effects? YES!!

I enjoyed the movie, ended up seeing it 2x. Yes it is predictable in some spots, completely off its rocker in others, but for just turning off your brain and enjoying the movie, it does well. So, they toss science (like you can send a signal to a planet who knows how many light years away and get a response in a couple years) out the window. Have alien ships that can go through space, but cannot seem to get more than 10 feet off the water? US military presence around Hawaii limited to around 8 marine helicopters? Total local response is 3 HPD? I could go on and on about so many unrealistic premises, but I still enjoyed the movie...

It was a typical summer popcorn action movie. It was better than I expected, but I honestly didn't go in expecting brilliance.

Plot? holes everywhere
Dialog? Ok
Lots of CGI effects? YES!!

I enjoyed the movie, ended up seeing it 2x. Yes it is predictable in some spots, completely off its rocker in others, but for just turning off your brain and enjoying the movie, it does well. So, they toss science (like you can send a signal to a planet who knows how many light years away and get a response in a couple years) out the window. Have alien ships that can go through space, but cannot seem to get more than 10 feet off the water? US military presence around Hawaii limited to around 8 marine helicopters? Total local response is 3 HPD? I could go on and on about so many unrealistic premises, but I still enjoyed the movie...
Luckily Steven Seagal (Under Siege) left the USS Missouri ready to go so it could come back 10 years later to save the world.:eek::rolleyes:

NotMe546 said:
Luckily Steven Seagal (Under Siege) left the USS Missouri ready to go so it could come back 10 years later to save the world.:eek::rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's been closer to 20 years since Under Siege.... :)

I finally caught this one on Dish PPV this weekend. I was bored, and really was not expecting much. Turned out I was pleasantly surprised. Many have covered some of the unbelievable parts of it, but its a movie, so knowing that, I ignored the plot holes or disregard for science. In doing that, I was entertained. Lots of action, lots of eye candy (CGI and Brooklyn Decker) and it was actually pretty funny. I laughed, literally laughed, at Hopper breaking into the store to get the chicken burrito, and getting tazed for his efforts (after falling a couple of times trying to climb back out).​

You said the best part -- Brooklyn Decker :D

Scifi/action movies you usually have to try and not put too much thought into them. I was fine with everything in the movie other than they were able to get Big Mo going from a cold start in less than an hour. It takes several hours to get those steam boilers up to temp with enough pressure to get a Battleship moving.

Other than that this was the 2nd movie with Taylor Kitsch this year that supposedly bombed, but that I thought was much better than the previews and trailers. John Carter being the other.

FYI -- There is a bonus scene at the end of the credits to set up a sequel.

Actually John Carter and Battleship brought in a lot more overseas at $282 and $302 million total grosses. So, they were not complete losses for the studios, just not blockbusters considering the budgets were 250 million and 209 million.

Watched it the other night and honestly was surprised.I was expecting a real stinker.The fx were great,one issue was Liam Neeson as the admiral just didn't seem to fit the role too well.The aliens were pretty cool.Overall better than I figured.

I watched Battleship on VUDU & cut it off during the closing credits. Come to find out(after the rental window was closed for re-watching it) that they had a scene after the credits that I missed.