Bay Area HD local Programming

shimma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
I thought Dish Network was compressing the "HD" local programming of the four MPEG-4 San Francisco stations. Then yesterrday, one of them, KTVU, suddenly began broadcasting the 6am morning news in real, honest to God 16x9 high definition.

Wow! All this time these stations were transmitting in SD! What a difference. KTVU is the only watchable local news, and let's hope the others catch on real soon.

Are KRONHD programs (like Bay Area backroads, Henry's Garden and Check Please Bay Area) true HD or just widescreen?

KRON has never been broadcast in HD. The other three stations, KPIX, KGO and NBC11, broadcast network programs in compressed HD but not originally produced programs like news.

shimma said:
I thought Dish Network was compressing the "HD" local programming of the four MPEG-4 San Francisco stations. Then yesterrday, one of them, KTVU, suddenly began broadcasting the 6am morning news in real, honest to God 16x9 high definition.

Wow! All this time these stations were transmitting in SD! What a difference. KTVU is the only watchable local news, and let's hope the others catch on real soon.

They are still compressing it. Nothing changed but KTVU is now doing local news in studio HD.

It looks good too

mrhph said:
Are KRONHD programs (like Bay Area backroads, Henry's Garden and Check Please Bay Area) true HD or just widescreen?
Shimma is wrong. It's True HD. It's a mixture of locally produced HD shows (Bay Cafe, Backroads, etc), and MY-TV HD programming. (They used to also show repeats of older HDNet programming. Maybe still do.)

However, Dish does not carry KRON-HD, only KRON in SD. Maybe that's why Shimma has never seen it. Although, I don't see why he hasn't seen it with the OTA tuner.

Last edited:
GaryPen said:
Shimma is wrong. It's True HD. It's a mixture of locally produced HD shows (Bay Cafe, Backroads, etc), and MY-TV HD programming. (They used to also show repeats of older HDNet programming. Maybe still do.)

However, Dish does not carry KRON-HD, only KRON in SD. Maybe that's why Shimma has never seen it. Although, I don't see why he hasn't seen it with the OTA tuner.
Forgot to scan local maybe :)

No, I've never seen KRON in HD because I don't have an OTA antenna. My homeowners association won't allow one, and I've tried an indoor anntenna to no avail.

Homeowners Association

Depending on what part of the Bay Area you are at, I was allowed to put a Winegard Square Shooter (SS1000) on the roof of our Town Home and was able to pick up all the Sutro and San Bruno OTA stations. Besides HOA'S do not have the right to deny you the right to receive a public broadcasting station. If you have a clear line of sight to Sutro and San Bruno, then the SS should have no problems pulling in those stations.

shimma said:
No, I've never seen KRON in HD because I don't have an OTA antenna. My homeowners association won't allow one, and I've tried an indoor anntenna to no avail.

Are you in a MDU condo? If you own your house they can't forbid it.

Thanks bk63ross and Digital Dude. The guy who put together my AV system, Phil from "The AV Room" in Fremont, will be invited to spec an installation of the Square Shooter if I win an appeal from the HOA.

The BOD and management company strictly and literally interpret the FCC sat rules. Dishes, yes. UHF antennas, maybe.

In my last place in North SJ, I used an indoor Zenith Silver Sensor. I received ALL Bay Area OTA with it, even with the flaky DP811 receiver.

There are also some outdoor antennas that can be used indoor or on a veranda.
http://www.antennasdirect.com/

Then, you can not only enjoy KRON-HD and KQED-HD, both not available on Dish, but also SD digital, which almost looks like HD compared to the grainy, smeared, compressed locals you get through Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)