BB@ Home disc By Mail Ending September 19th

Redbox streaming is a new service. They don't have a lot of streaming titles yet, nothing like Netflix.....

Actually it's exactly like Netflix, but just with less content (Netflix pretty much has the same streaming content; EPIX) just stay with Netflix or just rent movies straight from Redbox without the "instant" portion.

When I logged into my BB queue today, I got the following message.
As of September 19, 2013, Blockbuster @Home™ subscriptions will no longer include DVDs, Blu-Rays, or video games by mail.

As our gift to you, your final by-mail movie or show is yours to keep! If you return your current title, we will do our best to send you the next title in your queue but cannot guarantee availability. To ensure you receive your gift, we recommend keeping your current title.

If you currently have a title from an in-store exchange or a video game, please return it and we will do our best to send you the next movie or show in your queue.

Blockbuster @Home will continue to provide 15 movie and 6 entertainment channels, plus access to thousands of On Demand titles! Learn More about the great features included in Blockbuster @Home.

Nah they will get their made for tv/dvd movie Ghoul back, I don't want it. I'm also going to empty out my queue to make sure they don't send anything else out to me. (I just tried to go to Blockbuster@home and it's not loading so I guess I can't wipe my queue)

I also do not find the Blockbuster@Home package to be of any value anymore. I have no interest in the channels any longer as I receive EPIX content through Netflix, Amazon Prime and Redbox Instant and I already pay for a Starz! Subscription so the VOD is useless to me in the BB@H package because i already receive. $10 saved. Back before it became a "Blockbuster" package and was Platinum it had a purpose because I had only a 722 and I used it to record Smackdown late at night Saturdays to resolve a timer conflict. Now I have two Hoppers, no conflicts :)

Last edited:
Actually it's exactly like Netflix, but just with less content (Netflix pretty much has the same streaming content; EPIX) just stay with Netflix or just rent movies straight from Redbox without the "instant" portion.
With the "free" 4 DVD credits, may as well sign up for the instant plan, if you rent that many DVDs or more from Redbox every month.

With the "free" 4 DVD credits, may as well sign up for the instant plan, if you rent that many DVDs or more from Redbox every month.

Right now I do subscribe to Redbox Instant and I'm frustrated at the streaming quality (not about the titles but more about the fact that I have a 30/mbps line and I have buffering problems all the time with Redbox Instant. So I've ran the math numerous times in my head and really if you have Netflix streaming or Amazon Prime already the best bet is to just rent movies from your redbox without instant.

$6.44 = 4 Blu-ray rentals from a redbox in Ohio. (taxes included)
$9.84 = Redbox Instant Streaming Plan in Ohio with 4 rental credits (taxes included)
There is a $3.40 difference, which could be used to rent two more top quality blurays at a redbox without redbox instant.

I don't want to keep a copy of a very highly used DVD, so when I get my last disc, I will turn it in at my BB Store and get one more free movie. If Dish closes the mail order disc portion of BB, then they have no use for box stores, so I see them closing by year end. They will continue to use the BB@Home logo for their streaming, since they paid so much for it.

I don't want to keep a copy of a very highly used DVD, so when I get my last disc, I will turn it in at my BB Store and get one more free movie. If Dish closes the mail order disc portion of BB, then they have no use for box stores, so I see them closing by year end. They will continue to use the BB@Home logo for their streaming, since they paid so much for it.
They did not pay for the logo. They paid to get the B&M locations.

And really, it is time to dump the logo. It's dead. It has been for a while now. Using the logo at this point would just be a shallow/vain attempt to justify a lousy purchase.

Right now I do subscribe to Redbox Instant and I'm frustrated at the streaming quality (not about the titles but more about the fact that I have a 30/mbps line and I have buffering problems all the time with Redbox Instant. So I've ran the math numerous times in my head and really if you have Netflix streaming or Amazon Prime already the best bet is to just rent movies from your redbox without instant.

$6.44 = 4 Blu-ray rentals from a redbox in Ohio. (taxes included)
$9.84 = Redbox Instant Streaming Plan in Ohio with 4 rental credits (taxes included)
There is a $3.40 difference, which could be used to rent two more top quality blurays at a redbox without redbox instant.
For comparison sake, do you have Prime and/or Netflix, and if you do, has is the buffering/streaming quality with Prime and/or Netflix?

They did not pay for the logo. They paid to get the B&M locations.

And really, it is time to dump the logo. It's dead. It has been for a while now. Using the logo at this point would just be a shallow/vain attempt to justify a lousy purchase.

It's been well documented that the BlockBuster name recognition,was a big reason for Dish making the purchase.

The closings raise questions about the future of Blockbuster, which the Denver Post notes has been pushed "to the brink of death." After the closings, Blockbuster will operate just 450 locations in the U.S.

The incredible shrinking Blockbuster business may not surprise people who have visited a store recently. When the local Blockbuster store in my city closed a few years ago, it wasn't exactly a shock: The store was never busy, and it seemed to rely as much on sales of candy as actual video rentals.

That's a far cry from less than a decade ago, when Viacom (VIA) split off the video-rental chain in 2004. At the time, Blockbuster operated some 8,900 stores worldwide, although cracks were already showing in its operations. Viacom set the split after failing to find a buyer as Netflix (NFLX +2.15%) ate into Blockbuster's customer base.

The latest round of closures comes after Dish shut down about 500 Blockbuster stores last year.

With the rash of store closings, it's fair to ask whether Dish executives regret buying the video-rental chain out of bankruptcy in 2011 for $320 million.

If they do, they're not saying so publicly. Dish "continues to see value in the Blockbuster brand," a spokesman for the satellite-television? operator told the Denver Post. The 300 stores that will be closed are those that are unprofitable or those near the end of their leases. The locations of the closures haven't been announced, Dish told the newspaper.

One idea that Dish continues to consider is turning Blockbuster stores into smartphone and wireless service outlets. "We're still evaluating that," chief executive Joe Clayton said at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month, according to the Post. "It's still in exploratory phase."

Soon after Dish bought the chain, it touted the company's "iconic brand" and a new suite of services, including Web streaming. But Dish founder Charlie Ergen gave up on the plan last year, amid regulatory issues.

Ergen shed some insight into Dish's decision to close Blockbuster stores, hinting to Bloomberg News about the poor economics of the video-rental business. "When your lease runs out on the stores, you can’t re-up because you can’t make enough money from just selling DVDs,” he said.

If stores automatically close once there lease is up, wonder how much longer our stores lease is. Now that the disk service is ending no real need to go there.

Though our store has pretty good traffic

Dish could have renamed some of their sats,Fire Bird 1,GTO,Bonneville 7.Talk about a cross branding gold mine!:D

For comparison sake, do you have Prime and/or Netflix, and if you do, has is the buffering/streaming quality with Prime and/or Netflix?

I have no problems streaming from Prime or Netflix, just Redbox. It's actually been a couple months since I've attempted to use the streaming part of Redbox so things could have changed but I imagine it's unlikely. The last movie I watched on Redbox Instant was an movie in SD format and the movie would skip over lines of dialogue causing me to have to backtrack just to catch what they said or I would have actual buffering problems. I think because of all the issues it took about 2 hours to watch an hour and thirty minute movie and I didn't even watch the last 20 minutes of it because I grew to frustrated over quality of the stream. I've just been to lazy to cancel it but I'm probably going to do so next month before my plan renews and just get movies from the Kiosk.

Last edited:
I just got the notice but with one difference.... mine said I could keep the last disc as well so that tells me they are getting out of the dvd by mail game completely. really disappointing personally. I actually used the blurays to get the new releases to augment the streaming stuff since the stuff there is generally older.

Epix is the only channel of use to me and that is available on pretty much everything these days (redbox, amazon and netflix streaming). Starz is somewhat useful but not at $10. Guess its time to add discs back to my netflix account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)