BBC America HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Anyone know if BBC will be in HD on July 20th? They're advertising on their bug.

I'd so love to see Top Gear in HD.

Thanks,

Reading that I gather that, basically, the official CSR response is "no, BBC HD is not being offered". However, the CSRs have no idea about what is or isn't in the works and DTV keeps that info secret.

Just read through that. DTV seems to be the only unconfirmed one mentioned. BBC is one of the few SD channels I'll watch so I have my hopes up.

Well, where is it?

So the rumor mill was saying we were supposed to get the channel yesterday but no luck. Sad because I think a nice amount of their programming would be real HD and not stretch-o-vision like some of the channels in the line-up.

The only rumor about BBCAHD launching yesterday was that one post from dbstalk.com. Other than that nobody mentioned it anywhere, heck even BBCA acknowledged that the channel launched and they didn't have it one provider.

Here's the timeline as it normally works:

1. HD Channel is announced
  2. HD Channel signs carriage agreements
  3. Providers identify bandwidth for channel
  4. HD Channel goes live for distribution
  5. Providers send signal to their subscribers

BBC America knew that step 3 was a problem. They admitted it. There was no room at the inn. Just because they built a channel doesn't mean anyone had anywhere to put it. It would have been unwise for DirecTV to hold a spot open for this channel since the last round of major additions. BBCA had no idea when they'd be ready back then and neither did DirecTV.

Now they get to wait for step 3 to be possible.

EDIT: BBCA is apologizing for the confusion on their own website. They did not announce the launch date until June 1. This is far too little time to expect any major carrier to meet the date. On their site, BBCA explains that basically nobody had the HD channel at launch due to their late notification.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts