BBC America no world news

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
I record BBC World News every M-F this morning it wasn't there. Not a problem w/E* but BBC America ran Graham Norton instead. I wonder what the L happened is all?

I record BBC World News every M-F this morning it wasn't there. Not a problem w/E* but BBC America ran Graham Norton instead. I wonder what the L happened is all?

Found this on their site:

Our nightly news program, BBC World News America, is now airing on public television stations across the country.

The air time of the new 30-minute program will vary from city to city because these stations determine their own program schedules; viewers should check their local listings or website of their public (PBS) station. BBC World News America will no longer appear on the BBC America channel, but WILL continue on the BBC World News channel.

This shift is happening for several reasons. First, the BBC is making an effort to establish two strong and distinct channels in the US market. BBC America will have more of an entertainment focus going forward, while BBC World News is a global 24-hour news channel.

At the moment, BBC World News is not as widely available as BBC America, and we hope that viewers who value our smart and impartial international coverage will contact their cable or satellite provider to ask that BBC World News be added to their channel lineup.

At the same time, we have a valuable, long-standing relationship with public television in America, and we want to make our very best work available to the maximum number of American viewers via that path as well.

Our approach to the news will not change; we will still try every day to bring viewers the best of BBC journalism from all around the world, and to "connect the dots" from America to the wider world.

Whether it's the global economy, the ongoing turmoil in North Africa and the Middle East, Japan's earthquake crisis, the environment, or the arts, what happens "out there" matters more and more here in America, and we'll be there to cover it.

Matt Frei and Katty Kay will continue to anchor the program from Washington, and our crack production team will continue to open a window to the world each and every weekday.

We hope you'll make the effort to continue watching BBC World News America, either on your local public television station or on BBC World News.

If You Like World News America, Check Out

Found this on their site:

Our nightly news program, BBC World News America, is now airing on public television stations across the country.

The air time of the new 30-minute program will vary from city to city because these stations determine their own program schedules; viewers should check their local listings or website of their public (PBS) station. BBC World News America will no longer appear on the BBC America channel, but WILL continue on the BBC World News channel.

This shift is happening for several reasons. First, the BBC is making an effort to establish two strong and distinct channels in the US market. BBC America will have more of an entertainment focus going forward, while BBC World News is a global 24-hour news channel.

At the moment, BBC World News is not as widely available as BBC America, and we hope that viewers who value our smart and impartial international coverage will contact their cable or satellite provider to ask that BBC World News be added to their channel lineup.

At the same time, we have a valuable, long-standing relationship with public television in America, and we want to make our very best work available to the maximum number of American viewers via that path as well.

Our approach to the news will not change; we will still try every day to bring viewers the best of BBC journalism from all around the world, and to "connect the dots" from America to the wider world.

Whether it's the global economy, the ongoing turmoil in North Africa and the Middle East, Japan's earthquake crisis, the environment, or the arts, what happens "out there" matters more and more here in America, and we'll be there to cover it.

Matt Frei and Katty Kay will continue to anchor the program from Washington, and our crack production team will continue to open a window to the world each and every weekday.

We hope you'll make the effort to continue watching BBC World News America, either on your local public television station or on BBC World News.

If You Like World News America, Check Out

Doesn't apply. This is not related to the morning 2 hr block that they run.

Just sharing what I found. Though it does not address the morning block, it appears to be the reason.

Can't agree as the morning block has been on the entire time except for today. That has to do w/ the evening news that was moved over to PBS. I have a feeling that they had a problem this morning that isn't being reported.

Can't agree as the morning block has been on the entire time except for today. That has to do w/ the evening news that was moved over to PBS. I have a feeling that they had a problem this morning that isn't being reported.

I missed the "this" morning of your OP.

We are in the US, who cares about world news??

I kid I kid

:)

Sadly, for far too much of the population, it's true.:sick:

I'd even pay for an international English language news package. Please give me real news from a variety of sources.:dead

I used to watch the NBC nightly news and it seemed like the quality of their broadcasts have gone downhill. ABC World News has gone downhill as well. The CBS evening news, however, seems to have gotten better, since the new anchor there took over.. Still though, it seems that American newscasts, in some ways, they just seemed to have turned into talk shows, talking about more casual topics than real news.

This is just a complete guess (as I did not record the American Public Television presentation of BBC World News for public TV stations), but with the recent News of the World phone hacking scandal, BBC World News has has nearly 85% of the newscasts devoted to it, including live House of Commons weekly question time and some live from the Parliament committee investigating the scandal: BBC America might have thought the blocks of live coverage was too disjointed compared to when BBC World News has the straight newscasts and business and sports segments on the clock (now preempted) and GMT (still noted as "BBC World News on our guides, and incorrectly so), usually a well produced program with no repeating of stories for the full hour with longer pieces and often featured good interviews was a mess of a news show as a result, and BBC America may have thought the coverage to be do "domestic" for a U.S. audience and may lose viewers during that time, so it was Graham Norton off the shelf, instead, always sure to keep the audience riveted :).

Just a guess.

Last edited:
This is just a complete guess (as I did not record the American Public Television presentation of BBC World News for public TV stations), but with the recent News of the World phone hacking scandal, BBC World News has has nearly 85% of the newscasts devoted to it, including live House of Commons weekly question time and some live from the Parliament committee investigating the scandal: BBC America might have thought the blocks of live coverage was too disjointed compared to when BBC World News has the straight newscasts and business and sports segments on the clock (now preempted) and GMT (still noted as "BBC World News on our guides, and incorrectly so), usually a well produced program with no repeating of stories for the full hour with longer pieces and often featured good interviews was a mess of a news show as a result, and BBC America may have thought the coverage to be do "domestic" for a U.S. audience and may lose viewers during that time, so it was Graham Norton off the shelf, instead, always sure to keep the audience riveted :).

Just a guess.

Doubtful but it is a thought. I think it was most likely a technical problem. I just emailed them to see if they can or will tell me.

Last edited:
I think it's just a slight schedule change as their site shows that BBC World News is on for 2 hours starting at 6AM ET on July 18th. And then three hours the next day starting at 5AM the rest of the week. The week after shows the same thing, Monday - 2 hours, the rest of the week - 3. It was truly a scheduling error/glitch/mistake, it wouldn't be reflected on their site's schedule. So it looks like there's "Nothing to see here."

Another theory: BBC journalists (National Union of Journalists) held a 24-hour strike against compulsory redundancies on July 15, and plan another on Friday July 29.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)