BBC America no world news

I hate to say this, but I think asking Dish (and Directv as well) for BBC World News is a waste of time. It's been available for years, but neither sat company or most cable companies in the U.S. carry it. I don't know why. It's all over Canada and most other countries in the world. If Dish was going to add it, they would have done it years ago.

Well the BBC World News aired on BBC America during the wee morning hours is REPEATED, by BBC World, I believe (as they do NOT produce live programming 24/7, unless they've changed that) . Perhaps BBC America decided to show Graham, instead.

Well the BBC World News aired on BBC America during the wee morning hours is REPEATED, by BBC World, I believe (as they do NOT produce live programming 24/7, unless they've changed that) . Perhaps BBC America decided to show Graham, instead.
It was back this morning. GMT is live although I'm not up at that time to watch it (I know this as the time that they give at sign on would be live). I DVR it. Oh is there anything watched live anymore. Man I may watch .05% live.

We need an international news package with:

BBC World News
CNN International
Deutsche Welle
France 24
Al Jazeera English
CBC
RT

CNN-Domestic & the networks are too "dumbed-down" and lacking in depth international (and domestic) coverage.

I hate to say this, but I think asking Dish (and Directv as well) for BBC World News is a waste of time. It's been available for years, but neither sat company or most cable companies in the U.S. carry it. I don't know why. It's all over Canada and most other countries in the world. If Dish was going to add it, they would have done it years ago.

Again, BBC World News was not intended nor planned for U.S. services. Canada was the BBC World's first entry to North America a number of years back, but still no serious intention of providing it to U.S. MVPD's until they singed with Discovery Networks (who also distribute BBC America) just a few years ago. Verizon had no choice but take it if they wanted the other Discover Networks channels.

What we will see is when the contracts for Discovery Channels come near the close, Discovery will attempt to leverage to force MVPD's to add BBC World News. It may not always be successful, but ALL the media companies do this at contract time. We have a plethora of crap channels because of it.

There is a good chance we may see it on Dish, but only if Discovery pushes hard enough or if Charlie is willing to drop Discovery Channels if he feels adding BBC World News would be just too much. We'll have to wait for the successful renewal of Discovery Channels to see the result, and a new channel can often be the result.

While people keeping wishing and posting about BBC, which I realize seems revered here, Dish has EuroNews. I think it is better than BBC for just getting international news. It doesn't have as many lengthy in depth analysis, but does go live to wherever the big story is remarkably fast, and has extended video of whatever the story is. Coverage of any of the big events over the last many months has been terrific. More people watch it than BBC in Europe. EuroNews combined with several broadcasts a day of Al Jazeera, and daily broadcasts of Deutsche Welle Jouranal and Mosaic World News (among some others) seems like quite a good way to get news in addition to the US networks. I don't blame anyone who has a channel they really want, but I think the variety Dish already offers is getting lost in the discussions, and may well be why we will not see BBC unless it is at a good cost to Dish.

euronews racks up 14.1 million monthly European viewers tune into
"Regarding news channels daily reach, euronews is placed in second position with a 3.4 % audience, after Sky News (5.3 %) but followed by CNN (3.1 %), and BBC World News (2.8 %)."

Last edited:
While people keeping wishing and posting about BBC, which I realize seems revered here, Dish has EuroNews. I think it is better than BBC for just getting international news. It doesn't have as many lengthy in depth analysis, but does go live to wherever the big story is remarkably fast, and has extended video of whatever the story is. Coverage of any of the big events over the last many months has been terrific. More people watch it than BBC in Europe. EuroNews combined with several broadcasts a day of Al Jazeera, and daily broadcasts of Deutsche Welle Jouranal and Mosaic World News (among some others) seems like quite a good way to get news in addition to the US networks. I don't blame anyone who has a channel they really want, but I think the variety Dish already offers is getting lost in the discussions, and may well be why we will not see BBC unless it is at a good cost to Dish.

euronews racks up 14.1 million monthly European viewers tune into
"Regarding news channels daily reach, euronews is placed in second position with a 3.4 % audience, after Sky News (5.3 %) but followed by CNN (3.1 %), and BBC World News (2.8 %)."
1 minor problem is that Euronews isn't all English.

Not in my Latino Max package

I am not aware of EuroNews being available other than two ways. A La Carte, or in the International basic package. In either case, it is on channel 901, in either 100% English, or using the alternate language, in Portuguese. I don't remember it or now see it in the Latino Max package. If it was in the Latino Max package at one time and you still have it, then it is in English 100%. This is EuroNews, not Eurochannel which is not all in English.

And their coverage of the horrible events in Norway has been spectacular.

I am not aware of EuroNews being available other than two ways. A La Carte, or in the International basic package. In either case, it is on channel 901, in either 100% English, or using the alternate language, in Portuguese. I don't remember it or now see it in the Latino Max package. If it was in the Latino Max package at one time and you still have it, then it is in English 100%. This is EuroNews, not Eurochannel which is not all in English.

And their coverage of the horrible events in Norway has been spectacular.
Couldn't find it ala carte so it isn't worth paying 20 a month for an international package that I won't watch.

Couldn't find it ala carte so it isn't worth paying 20 a month for an international package that I won't watch.

Ok, that's different than saying you have it and it's not all in English.

Here is the correct information, in addition to it being all in English;
It is not in any other package that I am aware of or that is advertised other than the International Basic, or A La Carte
The International package is $10 not $20.
It is available A La Carte for $3, (worth every penny.) Can be found under your programming in your account. One caveat, it is not on the WA, it is on 118 and 61.5.But dish had offered to install the 118 dish if I wanted it for $35. I have the insurance plan. I didn't need it as I have 61.5.

Bottom line, anyone really wanting BBC should try EuroNews. It's more watched for good reason.

Ok, that's different than saying you have it and it's not all in English.

Here is the correct information, in addition to it being all in English;
It is not in any other package that I am aware of or that is advertised other than the International Basic, or A La Carte
The International package is $10 not $20.
It is available A La Carte for $3, (worth every penny.) Can be found under your programming in your account. One caveat, it is not on the WA, it is on 118 and 61.5.But dish had offered to install the 118 dish if I wanted it for $35. I have the insurance plan. I didn't need it as I have 61.5.

Bottom line, anyone really wanting BBC should try EuroNews. It's more watched for good reason.
I was just looking under the ala carte not thru my programming option. I will think about it. Not sure I want to pay 3 per month for Euronews(SD). In fact I would have a real problem paying 3 per for BBC World new unless it is the HD version.

BBC World News is the standard all other news networks should be judged by.

I understand that is your opinion, but the numbers who watch are low compared to others in Europe. I happen to think they are very good, but just as the US channels, you can tell there is some bias in the reporters. There is virtually none of that on EuroNews because of the way they report news, more of "Just the facts."

If $3 is too much as one poster has indicated for EuroNews, I have to wonder just how many would pay that or more for for BBC? If Dish can carry it in a way that makes economic sense I'm sure there is a chance. But with what is already available (I won't list them all again) I just don't see them adding it if it will raise package prices. If it is allowed to be carried A La Carte (doubtful) then there is a greater chance. Guessing (as anyone here would have to) I'm betting there are no solid number of subs who must have it, or even really want it if there is a cost beyond pennies for it. From what I can tell, only Fios carries it nationally. But the information is 10 months old that I have. If true, there has to be a reason no one else carries it. (Other than a few local cable companies) If people want it, I hope they get it just as any channel. Just doesn't seem to be in the cards. But things change, so who knows......

Last edited:
I understand that is your opinion, but the numbers who watch are low compared to others in Europe. I happen to think they are very good, but just as the US channels, you can tell there is some bias in the reporters. There is virtually none of that on EuroNews because of the way they report news, more of "Just the facts."

If $3 is too much as one poster has indicated for EuroNews, I have to wonder just how many would pay that or more for for BBC? If Dish can carry it in a way that makes economic sense I'm sure there is a chance. But with what is already available (I won't list them all again) I just don't see them adding it if it will raise package prices. If it is allowed to be carried A La Carte (doubtful) then there is a greater chance. Guessing (as anyone here would have to) I'm betting there are no solid number of subs who must have it, or even really want it if there is a cost beyond pennies for it. From what I can tell, only Fios carries it nationally. But the information is 10 months old that I have. If true, there has to be a reason no one else carries it. (Other than a few local cable companies) If people want it, I hope they get it just as any channel. Just doesn't seem to be in the cards. But things change, so who knows......

I'm the OP and the one that said I wouldn't pay $3 for an "SD NEWS channel". I would very likely pay that for BBC World news which is also an HD News Channel. Please don't try to put words into my mouth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)