BD good at 720p/1080i?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I plan on getting a Sony PS3 very soon. I'm watching Spiderman 3 on Starz HD, and I'm not exactly impressed by the quality. It looks good in their HD, but it still is blocky and even the video gets choppy at fast speeds. I know that BD stuff is best experienced at 1080p, but I simply don't have that. Can I expect better than cable quality on my BD stuff at resolutions lower than 1080p?

I have a Sony PS3 with an Optoma HD70 projector and yes a blu ray movie is a big difference compared to say HBO HD. I watched Bridge To Terabithia on my HD DVR via HBO HD and compared it with my blu ray copy from Blockbuster Total Access and could notice the difference. Even on a 32" LCD HDTV I noticed a difference but at 100+ inches it seems like a major difference.

Yeah I figured that. My concern was whether or not it would still be worthy quality at a lower resolution.

Your answer would be YES considering it gives you the best resolution that your TV would ever be able to handle. I personally can see a huge difference between Blu-Ray and my OTA locals on my 720P TV's.

I was watching Spiderman on Starz too. Well actualyl some of my roomies were and I was like guys this looks like crap. I've got the Blu-ray up there put it in if you want to watch it the right way. My set is 720 as well.

I can only imagine what the new Blade Runner Special Edition looks like on BD. That may be my first rental once my PS3 (hopefully) arrives.

Stupid question, but why do people abbreviate it BD as opposed to BR? What does BD stand for?

It is called BD because that is what Sony calls it, Blu-Ray Disc.

BDs look great in 720p or 1080i. They of course can look better in 1080p if your set is large enough and you sit close enough. There are various charts showing the distance verses set size verses resolution of the set. Essentially if you do not sit close enough to the set and have perfect vision you will not be able to resolve the 1080p so it does not matter if you are watching 1080p or 720p or even 480 if you are far enough away.

I had a 720/1080i tv prior to my recent purchase and the BD was leaps and bounds better than broadcast / sd dvd. My brother who just bought my old tv saw the difference and has since purchased a BD30.

Which is the preferred resolution for BD movies? Should I (or can I even) set it to 720p/1080i and just leave it, or can it depend on what sort of movie that I watch? Like a fast action movie may be better in 720p, but a regular movie without a lot of fast movement would be better at 1080i?

Honestly, Id just set it at the native resolution of your tv. Ive never been able to see much of a difference. The PS3 to me, was a little soft on 720p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts