BD30 owners, opinions wanted

Denon or panny bd30

Two weeks ago i got the Denon 2500. I picked up the movie ( the golden compess) 20 min into the movie i had a large POP like a shot gun. I called Denon. Waiting time 30 min. 45 min later i talked to CSR they never hard of this. I told him look at the Deon fourm everyone talking about it. He told me there is a firmware up date for the 2500 on the site that came out on 4/23. I was told to down load it. I told him i cannot get the down load to work so send me a cd with the fix. Thet donot make the cd.I got mad and took it back to best buy.i Pick up the panny bd30 Called panny to see how to check the firmware got in less than 5min CSR was great and help me out.So the short of this Denon $1000 the panny $450.I will keep it and pick up the bd50 down the line and have both for about $150 more.:eureka

Two weeks ago i got the Denon 2500. I picked up the movie ( the golden compess) 20 min into the movie i had a large POP like a shot gun. I called Denon. Waiting time 30 min. 45 min later i talked to CSR they never hard of this. I told him look at the Deon fourm everyone talking about it. He told me there is a firmware up date for the 2500 on the site that came out on 4/23. I was told to down load it. I told him i cannot get the down load to work so send me a cd with the fix. Thet donot make the cd.I got mad and took it back to best buy.i Pick up the panny bd30 Called panny to see how to check the firmware got in less than 5min CSR was great and help me out.So the short of this Denon $1000 the panny $450.I will keep it and pick up the bd50 down the line and have both for about $150 more.:eureka

What receiver do you have? The "DTS Bomb" is not in the player. It's in the receivers that use the TI chipset. Onkyo and Yamaha have issued a firmware fix. marantz has not as of yet, and Denon's are not affected as they use a different chipset. If you have an Onkyo, send me a PM with you're e-mail and I'll send you the firmware fix and instructions.

S~

Saw tonight at walmart that they are carrying the BD30 now for $448. Surprised me as I guess I missed that they were going to carry these.

They used to have it listed on their website around Christmas time. Walmart is in the process of redoing their electronics section. They are looking to take the lead in that department.

S~

yeah, I saw that walmart is doing a big reset on the electronics section. BD movie selection now is only 2nd to Bestbuy in number of titles. Prices are much better than BB too (but I think we all could have figured that out)

What receiver do you have? The "DTS Bomb" is not in the player. It's in the receivers that use the TI chipset. Onkyo and Yamaha have issued a firmware fix. marantz has not as of yet, and Denon's are not affected as they use a different chipset. If you have an Onkyo, send me a PM with you're e-mail and I'll send you the firmware fix and instructions.

S~

Hi what is pm

S~

I think the only Onkyo affected is the 605, and only early ones in that run. They don't list any firmware updates for the 805.

I think the only Onkyo affected is the 605, and only early ones in that run. They don't list any firmware updates for the 805.

All Onkyo and Integra models are affected. Along with the Yamahas and Marantz. The 605 only has 1 DSP. All other Onkyo/Integras have 3. They all use the same DSP firmware.

Got my BD30 today, watched 2 discs so far with it and it's great. Very fast, responsive player.

It's playing very nicely with my new 606 AVR. :)

I have a PS3 and Onkyo 805. Never noticed a dropout, but then I've watched relatively few movies. I'm hearing it can also send an explosive noise out, as well, possibly harming the speakers. Is the "DTS bomb" limited to the interaction between the BD30 & Onkyo (& certain other) receivers (that pass the stream)? Or will I be seeing it "soon?"

The PS3 decodes, does not pass. But I will no doubt later have another player. Or the PS3 might update to pass the bitstream.

In your opinion, should I address this now? Does it not affect the PS3 as it is today, but might at some future date?

Last edited:
I have a PS3 and Onkyo 805. Never noticed a dropout, but then I've watched relatively few movies. I'm hearing it can also send an explosive noise out, as well, possibly harming the speakers. Is the "DTS bomb" limited to the interaction between the BD30 & Onkyo (& certain other) receivers (that pass the stream)? Or will I be seeing it "soon?"

The PS3 decodes, does not pass. But I will no doubt later have another player. Or the PS3 might update to pass the bitstream.

In your opinion, should I address this now? Does it not affect the PS3 as it is today, but might at some future date?

It's any player that bitstreams to the Onkyos, Integras, Yamahas, and Marantz. That includes HD DVD players. It's a problem with the DSP firmware.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)