Becoming directv installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davidrv

Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
phx
there is and ad in local newpaper looking for directv installers. They ask for own work truck and tools. Are there any diretv installers out there who can tell me if this is a good job? If i have to provide any intallation material? If they will pay for gas? If i can make money doing this job?

No they don't pay for anything! and if you make mistakes you will get charged back.

They supply materials and customers,thats all.

Get ready to deal directly with the IRS :(

You'd basicly be a sub contractor meaning your paying your own taxes and paying for some or all of what is needed to do an install as well as the wear and tear on your truck/van and the gas and all insurances ect ect ect. The initial start up cost's can get up to around $6k or higher depending on wether you get a decent used 4 cylinder truck or van or go with something thats brand new. If your wanting to install satellite then I recommend you go to work inhouse with directs competitor where you'll get paid by the hour and they supply everything but in all honesty I wouldnt recommend the field at all as its a quickly dying trade that is fast becoming a " do you want fries with that order " skill set.

The only ones who make the real money are the people who hire you and the tax man.

You will be lucky to keep your truck running and food on the table.

Any company that is going to work someone this hard should be forced to put them on the payroll and be treated like any other employee.

Last edited:
Now, what i have just read in here is so not true... at least for me... I am a SUB Contractor for skylink and the money i bring in on a weekly basis is more then most make in a month. The start up cost for me was just my Birddog, and Inclinometer and ladders, small parts ect.... We pay for our drop *most of it* pay for our own gas.... *Get a good gas mileage vehicle* and turn around and make 1,500 a week... so it all really depends on how good of a installer you are and also makes a difference on how QUICKLY you can get your jobs done.... for anyone just starting out yes go to a inhouse HSP there all over the place and you will get your gas paid for *some companys* and drop paid for*some companys* and still be doing pretty decent.

Now, what i have just read in here is so not true... at least for me... I am a SUB Contractor for skylink and the money i bring in on a weekly basis is more then most make in a month. The start up cost for me was just my Birddog, and Inclinometer and ladders, small parts ect.... We pay for our drop *most of it* pay for our own gas.... *Get a good gas mileage vehicle* and turn around and make 1,500 a week... so it all really depends on how good of a installer you are and also makes a difference on how QUICKLY you can get your jobs done.... for anyone just starting out yes go to a inhouse HSP there all over the place and you will get your gas paid for *some companys* and drop paid for*some companys* and still be doing pretty decent.

You are a rare example of a tech who is doing ok.

My last deal........paychecks bounced.........courts arrested the HSP sub & paid me.
The one before that....no check....got judgment ...$4000.00.. can't find the guy...HSP sub
The one before that..$1000.00...company lost contract & left town......F you Frank Genco.
The one before that paid most....crappy routing & slow pay.

The two before that paid every penny on time but left the business when the MSP program was announced.

But that is just me.
Want your phone fixed?

Joe

I was working for an HSP and D* recently acquirewd us. I'm curious to see what changes to our pay and benefits will be. Subs have it a lot tougher since they have a greater overhead. My start up expenses were my tools. Dont waste your money on an inclinometer. In my opinion, subs tend to do substandard work because of inferior materials used because they have to buy them and the lack of proper training. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if your workmanship is what I described, get help. As far as the comment about a dying feild, the skills you will acqire allow you to enter related fields of low voltage wiring such as networking, fiber optics, telephone, etc.

As far as the comment about a dying feild, the skills you will acqire allow you to enter related fields of low voltage wiring such as networking, fiber optics, telephone, etc.

Yep, that's what I did. I now get weekends and holidays off, work 8-10 hours a day, make less per hour than I did with DirecTV but take home more per week (difference between piece rate and hourly).

I now install wireless internet and use the same skills and tools as when I was installing DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)