been a long time!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nottastud

Original poster
May 24, 2005
Harrisonburg, Va 22801
Think The last time I came here for help was in 2005.. and you guys came through with flying colors!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/32642-need-push-right-direction.html

So that system long gone, I moved a few times and now have a beautiful view of the unobstructed southern sky in Dallas, North Carolina. Figured I'd give it a go!

So I was wondering can I use an existing dish tv mount for a motorized system? I tried a few search terms and came up with nothing in the forums.

I am starting with this system probably because I have had good service from sadoun.

M-1HD Bundled System
SatHawk PVR800 CI HD DVB-S/S2 FTA Receiver -This is supposedly an openbox s9.. does that mean its a clone?
80T Sadoun 31" Offset KU Band Dish
Sadoun PowerTech D G280B HH Motor
KUL1: Sadoun Standard Linear Single Ku 0.4 dB LNBF
Universal wall mount

Going to have to do all the math again due to being in North Carolina. Yay.. feel the migraine already.

31" for the dish, can that be wall mounted? with the motor? going to check for a review on the receiver . So Iceberg and the rest of you guys, Ill be chatting with you soon :)

If you're getting a wall mount with the system, it should work fine. Just keep in mind whenever you mount it to the house, that the dish will move and without clearance of the eaves or whatever, you could have problems. I would think that the wall-mount you buy would be long enough to avoid any problems like that. As far as using a dishnetwork dish-mount or pole, not sure whether the fta motor would lock down on something that light-it may be strong enough, but I've never tried it. Again you might run into clearance problems with that type of mount, since your dish is much bigger than the DN dish.

I see what you are saying. Looks like the previous tenant had a dish system setup. Looks to be in a good spot, and if it would work, I wouldn't need to wall mount mine when it comes in. However, I do not not if its plumb or anything till I climb up there.

In a perfect world I should be able to throw my motor and dish on it and aim to my true south Sat and be off to the races. Don't think that will be the case, huh .

The skyhawk is not a clone. Skyhawk,Skybox,and openbox are all in the same family just different names. I would recommend going with a little larger dish 39 inch for stronger signal and less rain fade. The motor will have to be sized for the dish---size and weight. I don't know about the powertech motor. I have a stab hh 90 on a 36 inch dish and it's only been up a year and half, and I'me experiencing some play in the armature. I've had to compensate with adjusting the elevation. Porbably will replace next year. Down the line you may want to run a second receiver so consider a dual KU lnb.

If dish restrictions are not a problem you may want to consider C Band with a C/Ku lnb. Different set up,more work,more channels.

I used a Dish wall mount for my first motor (SG2100). That mount was for a SuperDish wich is larger than say a Dish500. I found the perfect material for making my own mount and that's 1-1/2" pipe. With all the different fittings and flanges you can design a perfect pole for each situation
. DishJuly 005.JPG IMG_1324.JPG

Last edited:
I see what you are saying. Looks like the previous tenant had a dish system setup. Looks to be in a good spot, and if it would work, I wouldn't need to wall mount mine when it comes in. However, I do not not if its plumb or anything till I climb up there.

In a perfect world I should be able to throw my motor and dish on it and aim to my true south Sat and be off to the races. Don't think that will be the case, huh .

I tried the same thing on a prior 18" dish roof mount but the mast height was too short to give clearance for my 36". The simple change was to keep the foot so I didn't have to do work on the roof (no need for more holes) and just changed out the vertical mast tube for the longer one that came with my 36" fortec dish. A vertical tube is a vertical tube. The foot part fastened to the roof seems to be pretty universal so it was a 5 minute swap for the the two bolts, bolts I had to loosen and tighten anyway to fine tune for vertical once the heavier weight was on the mast. My sg2100 slid right on to the DN diameter sized mast and clamped down with no issues.

Turbosat- Thanks for your info! I am on the second floor of my house where I want to put it. Me hanging out the window sounds pretty dangerous :p but there is good clearance to the roof it seems. Still may just mount on the old dish mount to see if it will work.
Magic- Thanks for the info. However I am not very mechanical minded and am liable to break something or myself doing it.
Oblio -I see what you are saying, so basically I can take my universal mount and swap it out with the predrilled set up. Just need to check the clearance for the swinging dish.

Nosbod- I'd love to upgrade the dish, however the shipping kills and its tight during the holiday season, just have to chalk it up to future upgrade. A Bud would be awesome, however, thats doesn't seem like a one person job. Don't you have to cement those puppies into place?

I went through like 40 pages of posts on the receiver , and it seems most were happy except a few problems, like the ac3 through hdmi and others. I went to the last page and it seems they have a channel editor so you don't lose your settings. However there has been new firmware updates since the last post. Anyone have one of these? problems fixed? Maybe I should make a separate post for the receiver.

WOW.. Satellite Finder is freaking awesome, my last setup I had to do the math and depend on you gents for setting up. Now its like put in address and bam !

Your Location
Latitude: 35.2995°
Longitude: -81.1754°

Name: 91W GALAXY 17 (G-17) | NIMIQ 1 | NIMIQ 2
Distance: 37232km

Elevation: 47.7°
Azimuth (true): 196.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 203.9°
LNB Skew [?]: 13.5°
Turn clockwise standing behind the dish

So following these instructions should be easy! now to order :) unless someone thinks I am better off with another setup. I like the bundles, because it combines shipping and parts for a decent price. However the only place that seems to be updated is sadoun, unless you can point me in the direction of another who does fta bundles.

LNB Skew [?]: 13.5°

When you do get your dish and are setting it up with a motor, ignore the skew reference. If you first find your due south sat with the motor set at reference (0) by moving the entire assembly by hand on the mast (and then tighten it up), then the skew automatically adjusts for all other sats when the dish is moved E or W by the motor.

I have bought both my satellite ku and c bundles from sadoun!its an easy way to get started and both setups are working well after a year in operation.I have also bought from the sponcers here with good results.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts