Been a while since I switched, but to those who have had DirecTV and Dish, DirecTV has better PQ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, my contract with DirecTV is up in August, and I am wondering if I want to stay with them or switch back to Dish Network and am thinking about it. I really miss the Hopper; especially the channel guide, some channels not on DirecTV that's on Dish, and PTAT. But I seem to remember somewhat (not sure) that DirecTV has much better picture quality than Dish, am I right? I can do without what I mentioned that Dish has if DirecTV has better picture quality, so is it better?

Okay, my contract with DirecTV is up in August, and I am wondering if I want to stay with them or switch back to Dish Network and am thinking about it. I really miss the Hopper; especially the channel guide, some channels not on DirecTV that's on Dish, and PTAT. But I seem to remember somewhat (not sure) that DirecTV has much better picture quality than Dish, am I right? I can do without what I mentioned that Dish has if DirecTV has better picture quality, so is it better?
Kinda depends on your situation ... if you like all these features that DISH has, go with them.
The provider has to have the channels you want first and formost, then again if both have most of them and neither has all of them then your right back where you started.

As for Picture Quality, alot of that has to do with the quality of the set and how well you have it calibrated to your likings and how it's hooked up as well.

I have dabbled with DISH, not for long though, I prefer D* PQ, but thats just me.
No two eyes see the same thing.

Kinda depends on your situation ... if you like all these features that DISH has, go with them.
The provider has to have the channels you want first and formost, then again if both have most of them and neither has all of them then your right back where you started.

As for Picture Quality, alot of that has to do with the quality of the set and how well you have it calibrated to your likings and how it's hooked up as well.

I have dabbled with DISH, not for long though, I prefer D* PQ, but thats just me.
No two eyes see the same thing.

Dish doesn't use full 1080i so their picture is inferior. It's quite noticeable to me, even before I knew it was HD-lite.

A lot of use here have always pushed to keep the Quality, over adding Quantity of channels ...
Typically, the more channels you add, the lower the potential for the quality.

The more satellite capacity the higher potential bitrate.

However if you cannot detect the difference it makes no nevermind!

I look forward to uhd transmission and only DirecTV
will have the capability.

If direct would add channel logos in their guide then I'd be happier. Xfinity even has logos . I do miss the Hopper quite a bit for sure. The undelete feature, remote finder, EHD transfer, PTAT.

If direct would add channel logos in their guide then I'd be happier. Xfinity even has logos . I do miss the Hopper quite a bit for sure. The undelete feature, remote finder, EHD transfer, PTAT.
EHD transfer feature would be nice, the rest I would have no use for.

DirecTV needs to add channel logos and also make the guide show more than 90 minutes of programming at a time. This is 2015, not 1995. And the ad banners really piss me off. Pretty sure DirecTV has the worst channel guide out of all the cable/satellite providers out there. An undelete feature and EHD transfer would be nice, too.

Last edited:
The more satellite capacity the higher potential bitrate.

However if you cannot detect the difference it makes no nevermind!

I look forward to uhd transmission and only DirecTV
will have the capability.
Why is it DTV will be the only ones capable of this? I see this available from many different providers, and in many different styles... Over satellite, over IP, for cable providers through their boxes... It all just depends.

I can say, from my experience, I cannot tell the difference between the two. I had DTV a little over a year ago. SD is quite a bit better on Dish to me, but I don't watch any more of it than I have to.

DirecTV needs to add channel logos and also make the guide show more than 90 minutes of programming at a time. This is 2015, not 1995. And the ad banners really piss me off. Pretty sure DirecTV has the worst channel guide out of all the cable/satellite providers out there. An undelete feature and EHD transfer would be nice, too.
My mom has Charter and that's even worse.

I am willing to bet in a double-blind test those who say they can see the difference in PQ from Dish to Direct or vice-versa would fail accurately picking out which channel is from which provider miserably. I've seen both and even side-by-side. There are differences, but no differences most people even see unless it's pointed out to them.

I am willing to bet in a double-blind test those who say they can see the difference in PQ from Dish to Direct or vice-versa would fail accurately picking out which channel is from which provider miserably. I've seen both and even side-by-side. There are differences, but no differences most people even see unless it's pointed out to them.

Wrong.
Did it. Easily can tell which is which.

Reactions: dalyew and ejb1980
You had two tvs set to the same settings, side by side, from the same manufacturer? That would be the only way to accurately do it. Also, not knowing which was which.

The key would be a blind test, not knowing before hand which is DTV and which is Dish, along with all other variables being the same.

Reactions: TNGTony
Switched to Dish last August.
Still had both HR24 to compare.
Same programs recorded on Hopper and 24's. Watched on Sony projector 106" screen and 65" UHDTV. Wasn't close to my eyes. My eyes counted
Too much noise on Dish especially wide and far shots on sports. Easily spotted. Switched back to Directv.
Hell I didn't want to switch back.
I wanted Dish.

Reactions: dalyew
Wrong.
Did it. Easily can tell which is which.
If you knew before hand which source you were viewing, then personal biases take over. Blind tests means you are shown images on the same set or on identical side-by-side sets and you select which you like better BEFORE you know which is which.
I am willing to bet that a test will show a statistical dead heat identifying which is which.

Look. I am not saying DirecTV doesn't have a good picture. It does. I am saying that, unless one is told what to look for, and even if they are, most people will not see a meaningful difference.

I don't think you get it.
I WANTED Dish but couldn't handle the noise. Same settings using different HDMI for each TV.
Then did the same with the other TV. Same settings using 2 HDMI. Wasn't close.

Reactions: dalyew and ejb1980
The HD picture on Direct is great but as far as the Genie goes, it needs updates to improve it. My parents have Dish and I'd have to see them side by side to really see the differences.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)