Mirror receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

visionman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Lowville, New York
Is there any way to mirror any of the receivers? I currently have Dish with 222k hooked to main tv(tuner 1) and bedroom (tuner 2). Tuner 2 is then mirrored to dining room and basement.
I do miss the picture quality of Direct and I'm tired of the Dish programming. I was with Direct when we first switched to HD then when Direct stopped XM, I switched. Been with Dish since. I can't get NBC feed in HD even though Dish gets the feed that way(according to NBC provider). Dish won't respond whether it will be available anytime. I've just had it with Dish. BUT the dining room and basement feeds are rarely used so mirroring works great for us.
I don't need or want DVR, just HD.. Any ideas?
Thanks..

Sort of. Do you have it mirrored using the same coax from the dish?

On the older conventional setup we could diplex the signal on to the same line and it was done fairly often. Even without DVR the system you would likely get installed is called SWM. It is still possible to do on SWM if you are not using whole home DVR but I have never done it and most installers would tell you it isn't possible. The way we do it most often now is with having a separate coax feed to just the two mirrored TVs.

All outputs are live on a Directv receiver/dvr. There is no coaxial output, though. You can use the hdmi for one and component for another. There are hdcp issues with some pay channels.

Currently on the 2-tuner receivers, the second tuner is modulated via coax to the 2nd tv. That's the line that is split for mirroring. When tuner 2 is turned off through the receiver, all tvs get tuner1 signal. IF tuner 2 is not active, it can also be used for PIP on TV1.
Having all outputs live helps somewhat. What's the receiver of choice for HD (no DVR) ?
I would probably need 2 receivers, 1 to TV1, 1 to TV2. Then mirror each one to the other TVs..(?)

remember direct only charges $6 per receiver after the first, much cheaper than dish.
may be economical just to get a 2nd unit

or get 1 wireless client and move it around

HR24 is the latest 2 tuner dvr. The other numbers are the manufacture numbers.

Mirroring is also going to be an additional charge paid to the installer at the time of install. You can try to work out a cash price off the record with him if you like.. otherwise it's 45/additional tv

Mirroring is also going to be an additional charge paid to the installer at the time of install. You can try to work out a cash price off the record with him if you like.. otherwise it's 45/additional tv

Huh? All he has to do is run the cabling from the receiver/dvr himself. No need to pay the installer to do that.

Huh? All he has to do is run the cabling from the receiver/dvr himself. No need to pay the installer to do that.
You are unfortunately incorrect. Mirroring outlets is a custom charge billed at 45.00 plus tax to directv.

Edit.. sorry I miss read that.. yes cm can do themselves obviously.. but if the tech were asked to do so there would be a fee.

You are unfortunately incorrect. Mirroring outlets is a custom charge billed at 45.00 plus tax to directv.

Edit.. sorry I miss read that.. yes cm can do themselves obviously.. but if the tech were asked to do so there would be a fee.

For a contractor or maybe HSP, yes. O&O tech, no charge. This isn't something you could choose though.

If your Just wanting a HD recvr, HR24 would be what i would go with.

You could get either H24 or H25. H25 is about half the size of the H24 and is also wall mountable. If you are unlucky you could end with an H23 refurb which is as big as any of the HD DVRs, I have had a few of those coming thru lately. I try to save my H25s for wall mount or limited space situations but I also try to save my H24 for service calls because the H25 is SWM only (allegedly). If a customer were to ask for a specific model I would do my best to get them that one.

You could get either H24 or H25. H25 is about half the size of the H24 and is also wall mountable. If you are unlucky you could end with an H23 refurb which is as big as any of the HD DVRs, I have had a few of those coming thru lately. I try to save my H25s for wall mount or limited space situations but I also try to save my H24 for service calls because the H25 is SWM only (allegedly). If a customer were to ask for a specific model I would do my best to get them that one.

Nothing alleged about it, the H25 is swm only.

Nothing alleged about it, the H25 is swm only.

This is why I suggested a H24 instead of a 25, knowing that the 24 can work with either, where as the 25 needs the SWM.

That's what I thought but I had an H25 select Slimline-5, multi switch the other day. I didn't have time to mess with it to see if it was actually working.

A swm only receiver/dvr should auto detect the swm signal, so I'm guessing there was either a swm lnb, which contains a multiswitch, or a swm8/16 switch.

Yes you can mirror it just won't have it's own independent channels for each TV, If you watch one channel you'll only watch what the main receiver is watching, That's why it's better to get a second receiver for $6.

They're not like VIP's where it has an independent tuner for a second TV in SD and each watch their own content from that 1 box, It's basically mirroring what you're watching.

Thanks for all the info. It's supportive to have so many people take an interest :) I've got to make a decision. I've been out of contract for years now but would like to make a move if I'm going to, before the bad weather. I used to hate winter installs. Gets mighty cold near the northern border of NY..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)