Been gone a long time- Interested in Direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Been a long time since I was a Sat guy.

I have been living in cabelvision area for many years and had given up Dishnetwork when YES (Yankees) were no where in site.

I am now moving to Comcast area in NJ (condo) and Comcast is INCREDIBLY overpriced, even compared to Cablevision.

I do not believe Dish even has yankees, so Direct Tv it is.

Bottom line is:

3 HD Tvs.

Living room would need dual tuner HD DVR
Master Bedroom minimum of 1 HD receiver
2nd bedroom -will rarely be used, but HD receiver would be nice

I am interested in only Yankees for sports, but intersted in all movie channels (Hbo, MAx, Sho, etc) and all the HD content I can get.

Iwould prefer to lease my receivers over buy if possible (limit my upfront costs as I am divorcing now).

I am having trouble deciphering (initially) what config I need to go with and what I am looking at on a monthly basis (so I can budget).

Can pull trigger and have install within next 30 days.

Any help deciphering this crap would be mch appreciated.

It used to be a lot simpler,lol.

Been a long time since I was a Sat guy.
Bottom line is:
3 HD Tvs.
Living room would need dual tuner HD DVR
Master Bedroom minimum of 1 HD receiver
2nd bedroom -will rarely be used, but HD receiver would be nice

I am interested in only Yankees for sports, but intersted in all movie channels (Hbo, MAx, Sho, etc) and all the HD content I can get.
Iwould prefer to lease my receivers over buy if possible (limit my upfront costs as I am divorcing now).
I am having trouble deciphering (initially) what config I need to go with and what I am looking at on a monthly basis (so I can budget).

Can pull trigger and have install within next 30 days.
Any help deciphering this crap would be mch appreciated.
It used to be a lot simpler,lol.
You can start out with $199 upfront and $65/mo for the first year and $86/mo for the second year (plus tax). This would be for the Plus HD DVR @ $76 - $21 discount (for 12 mo's), plus $5/mo for each additional receiver. The HD DVR is no upfront right now and the HD receivers are $99 each upfront. You will get free installation.

I'm assuming that "Yes" is your local RSN in this scenario. Keep in mind that you don't pay a monthly per DVR, so if you replace one of the HD receivers with a second HD DVR, the only difference is an extra $99 upfront. All receivers will be on a lease with a 24 mo commitment.

Hope that helps!

You can start out with $199 upfront and $65/mo for the first year and $86/mo for the second year (plus tax). This would be for the Plus HD DVR @ $76 - $21 discount (for 12 mo's), plus $5/mo for each additional receiver. The HD DVR is no upfront right now and the HD receivers are $99 each upfront. You will get free installation.

I'm assuming that "Yes" is your local RSN in this scenario. Keep in mind that you don't pay a monthly per DVR, so if you replace one of the HD receivers with a second HD DVR, the only difference is an extra $99 upfront. All receivers will be on a lease with a 24 mo commitment.

Hope that helps!

So $199 upfront and that is to lease all 3 receivers?

Yes is the Yankees Network (I live in NJ).

So it worksout to 86 per month for 1st year, then roughly $107 + tax for year 2?

That will get me all HD + their biggest channel pack?

Thanks for your help.

I will have to see if my Condo has a clear shot to the Sat.

How many dishes would this require?

I used to have 2 or 3 for Dish to get all channels.

WHich driection do I need to have them pointing?

Thanks again.

So $199 upfront and that is to lease all 3 receivers?

Yes is the Yankees Network (I live in NJ).
So it worksout to 86 per month for 1st year, then roughly $107 + tax for year 2?
That will get me all HD + their biggest channel pack?
Thanks for your help.
I will have to see if my Condo has a clear shot to the Sat.
How many dishes would this require?
I used to have 2 or 3 for Dish to get all channels.
WHich driection do I need to have them pointing?
Thanks again.
The monthlies I posted reflect the discounts, so your actual cost is $65/mo for the first year and $86/mo for the second year (plus tax). On the upfront costs, you get a free HD DVR with the current promo and the HD Receivers are $99 each. If you chose to have a second DVR would be $199, so your upfront's would be $298. This is the biggest channel pack w/o the premiums (HBO, Showtime, etc.). Also, you can add 6 more HD channels by adding the HD Extra pack at $5/mo.

On your question about the satellite dish, you only need one and it needs to point south and a bit west. If you can't mount it at your apartment complex, if you have a patio, others have used a tripod mount.

Below is a link to the D* website showing the current promo's. You can go on there and configure what you want to confirm what I've told you. Aside form the promo I mentioned, a new one that started today.

DIRECTV: DIRECTV - Best Offer

The new promo is free Premium package (Includes HBO, Showtime) when you sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket with 5 payments of $60. Have to add $10/mo for HD and $10/mo for extra receivers. After 5 month, this package will be around $135, but you can drop down to the other package I mentioned in month 6. You won't get the $21 discount for 12 mo's with this deal, so you start paying $86/mo in month 6.

Last edited:
I would really only need 1 DVR, but would also want all the premium channels and all HD I could get, so I have to figure that out now.

Since Comcast is so damn expensive, if dish works (it would probably have to be tripod mountee), I think I am going to go that route.

Does it pay to go with one of the reseller websites, or the prices the same directly from Direct TV?

Thanks again.

Don't forget the referral program too which would give you an additional $10/per month for 10 months. The sticky thread at the top of the forum will help you.

I would really only need 1 DVR, but would also want all the premium channels and all HD I could get, so I have to figure that out now.

Since Comcast is so damn expensive, if dish works (it would probably have to be tripod mountee), I think I am going to go that route.

Does it pay to go with one of the reseller websites, or the prices the same directly from Direct TV?

Thanks again.
I wouldn't bother with reseller websites, just use the DirecTV website. Also, one other way to save money is if you are a AAA member. You can save $10/mo for 24 months. Let me know if you need more info on this.

I decided I only need 2 receivers.
1 HD DVR and 1 regular HD.
Hoping I can get good shot at Sats.
Is it extra if the have to instal on a tripod or pole? I will be moving to condo and no roof mount- 1st floor so no balcony.

Still unsure of which package to get since I want most if not all of the premium channels.

I decided I only need 2 receivers.
1 HD DVR and 1 regular HD.
Hoping I can get good shot at Sats.
Is it extra if the have to instal on a tripod or pole? I will be moving to condo and no roof mount- 1st floor so no balcony.
Still unsure of which package to get since I want most if not all of the premium channels.
I believe the local installer will charge extra for a tripod mount, since the free install is for a roof mount.

On your question about packages, you can change at any time and keep the $21/mo discount. So you could start out with the Choice+ HD DVR package and if you don't get a channel you want, upgrade to Premium. The only channels you won't get is the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) and the Sports Pack.

Sports Pack gives you out of market RSN's, but any pro games are blacked out. Really only good for college games and out of market local shows. Most of the RSN's carry the same shows, like Best Damn Sports Show. And you can add it to the any package for $13.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)