Beginner to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Please take pics of the receiver too. I had a receiver like this once. It was given to me when I bought another receiver at a ham fest. It was a videoplus receiver. It was small and back. It went bad on me after I plug and unplugged lnbs on it without powering it down. Well that is what I think killed it. To check yours put a (OK well all know what I going to write but aristotle73 might not?) SF-95 to see if you have LNB power and if you are getting any signal.

Good luck.

aristotle73 said:
Gah, sorry to delay the suspense further but I won't be able to take pics till tomorrow or Monday. Stupid New Years -_-
I thought about taking the dish apart and putting it back together to make sure the panels were even. However, dishes are a part of radio I have little to no experience with; so I thought it best to confirm my actions first before proceeding.
Apart from my questions about my dish (which can probably only be answered once I get pictures of it), it also came with an old receiver. This thing is definitely old school. It has an analog meter for signal strength (it's either busted or needs repair) and is entirely knob based tuning. It's an old "Amway ASR 500". I'm pretty sure newer LNB(f)s won't work with it but I am interested in finding out more about it. If anyone knows of where to find user manuals or schematics, I'd like to know :D I'd love to gut this thing to see how it works :D

If this would help...

ken2400 said:
Please take pics of the receiver too. I had a receiver like this once. It was given to me when I bought another receiver at a ham fest. It was a videoplus receiver. It was small and back. It went bad on me after I plug and unplugged lnbs on it without powering it down. Well that is what I think killed it. To check yours put a (OK well all know what I going to write but aristotle73 might not?) SF-95 to see if you have LNB power and if you are getting any signal.
Good luck.

As you know, I have a vintage 8' Winegard dish....Since you indicate that your dish might look like mine...Guess what! I still have the dish manual and setup!

If it would help, I can scan the pages and email them to you!!

On the way out for a short Xmas dinner

later!

Jeff

ken4200: Video plus? You mean this? If so, I doubt it. It's pretty old. :/ I'll post a pic of it though :D

The dish also didn't have an LNB. It had an LNA and a BDC until it busted. I'm guessing it didn't work before then because I tried plugging it into the receiver and tuning in w0kie radio but I couldn't get anything except snow :(

I don't have an SF-95 and I can't really afford one at the moment either :/ All my money is going torwards the new receiver and LNB :(

Sf 85

You can get an FS-95 for about $10 on Ebay,

I have to see your Pic, but my manual may give you a hint assembling it...is the lnb mount a button hook like in my Picture? The specs would not be right nor the Focal lenfth but it will show you a way to assemble the panels! Does your mount look like mine?

jeff

Attachments

• Dish 3.jpg
    Dish 3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 111
VCII link

aristotle73 said:
ken4200: Video plus? You mean this? If so, I doubt it. It's pretty old. :/ I'll post a pic of it though :D
The dish also didn't have an LNB. It had an LNA and a BDC until it busted. I'm guessing it didn't work before then because I tried plugging it into the receiver and tuning in w0kie radio but I couldn't get anything except snow :(
I don't have an SF-95 and I can't really afford one at the moment either :/ All my money is going torwards the new receiver and LNB :(

Not Ken, but here is a link to VCII+ Ad (actually a VCRS): they come in many colors! Black, blue, light blue, red, pink etc....Some have the slot...some do not and there are many varieties..If you have trouble I have several that I have put new Batterys into..sort of a hobby. Your receiver should have a tray built in or worst case you would have to round up an old outbiooard separate (really not easy to find)
Regards
Jeff

http://www.primefocus.com/products/VCRS-NEW.html?id=847
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
You can get an FS-95 for about $10 on Ebay

I would like to take this opportunity to once again ask the FTA forum members to support our GOLD sponsors here at SatelliteGuys.US they ALL carry the above satellite meter, it would be GREAT if our members could help support our sponsors rather than direct our members to strangers on e-bay.

THANK YOU.

http://www.smallear.com/vp1000/rvvp1klr.htm

Sorry no picture. vp 1000 is the model tho.

aristotle73 said:
ken2400: Video plus? You mean this? If so, I doubt it. It's pretty old. :/ I'll post a pic of it though :D

A decoder? No, it isn't a decoder. It's just an old C-Band receiver from the looks of it. 0_o However, since it has an analog signal meter in it, would I be able to use that instead of an SF-95, or would it not work?

I should have pics available tomorrow :D I also order my LNB tomorrow too!

Gizzer: Yesh, it is :D Yours is upside down though compared to how the one on mine is though. Does it matter which direction the bend is turned?

Thanks for the gentle reminder Pete.....

PSB said:
I would like to take this opportunity to once again ask the FTA forum members to support our GOLD sponsors here at SatelliteGuys.US they ALL carry the above satellite meter, it would be GREAT if our members could help support our sponsors rather than direct our members to strangers on e-bay.
THANK YOU.
Another case of my fingers on the board, with out brain being in gear! Thanks for the gentle reminder Pete...
The url, was only meant to illustrate the VCII to Aristotle....NO other reason. OF COURSE IT WOULD BE TAKEN SO OBVIOUSLY, IT JUST LOOPED OVER MY HEAD!!!
I have not had the pleasure yet, but it is only a matter of time for a future purchase from me to be sent their way, IN FACT WHEN MY NEXT RECEIVER IS PURCHASED....which is to be soon as some thers have different feature set than the Viewsat extreme, which will remain in service!
I HAD ONLY DiSCOVERED Satelliteguys,, after I bought my 1st receiver,,,,,there, I was simply was unaware!
THE INFORMATION ON SOME OF THE SUPPORTER SITES IS WORTH SERIOUS $$ WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT!!!! agreed!!!!!!
Jeff

Last edited:
No Problem Jeff, just trying to give our sponsors a plug when ever I get a chance.

I was able to take some pics tonight of my receiver. However, you'll have to wait until tomorrow for pics of my dish :(

P.S. - My cat is laying down in the background, lol.

http://aristotle73.250free.com/ <----- Click the "This" link in the sentence that says "This is the old receiver..."

Edit: I was just wondering if this is correct. I was looking at the sgafta link advertised at the top of the page and I saw that they have the ASC-321. I thought about buying it from them but they advertise it with a .5-.6dB while the detail sheet linked to on tghe page says the noise figure is .7dB. Is that a mistake or is there a difference between the two dB values?

Edit2: Umm...now I am really confused. sgafta says they sell an SF95 kit but the description says the signal meter is an SF-10. They also sell two types of the SF-95--the SF-95A and the SF-95B. The picture of the SF-95A is the same meter shown in the picture of the SF-95kit (but instead it is labeled as an SF-10)... Is the seller reliable?? Also, the link redirects me from sgafta.com to sgassociates.com. I'm kind of iffy about buying from them now...

Last edited:
Never saw that receiver

Now that is a new one on me...never saw that receiver! No VCII will fit into that from the looks of it (but it does look well built). Does it have a dish positioner built in?

There are 2 versions of that meter...do some hunting on the sponser links above and do a little reading to see what you need(want)

Jeff

Last edited:
Should work with just the built in meter. Analog is a lot more forgiving.

Good luck with it.

aristotle73 said:
A decoder? No, it isn't a decoder. It's just an old C-Band receiver from the looks of it. 0_o However, since it has an analog signal meter in it, would I be able to use that instead of an SF-95, or would it not work?
I should have pics available tomorrow :D I also order my LNB tomorrow too!
Gizzer: Yesh, it is :D Yours is upside down though compared to how the one on mine is though. Does it matter which direction the bend is turned?

Not sure, but the difference between the SF95A and B might be that one of the two (probably the B) will pass 22k to the LNBF so you can use a universal LNBF.

One of this sites Gold Sponsors, Sadoun Satellite, sells the version of the SF95 that passes 22k for a universal LNBF.

Tron: Ahh, ok. Thx. I ended up buying from sgafta :D I saved quite a bit more than I expected and was able to afford the SF-95.

It is six feet in diameter.

Note: I'm definitely going to have to take the dish apart and put it back together. I think the panels became uneven after the wind knocked it over :|

That's a cool looking dish! At 6 feet, its larger than a microbud, but not overly obtrusive. Great deal! Let us know how well it receives DVB C-band.

Tron: I'm using it for Ku band. 0_o I plan on using the Extreme II LNBf.

Also, how do I use the SF-95? It looks like a finely tuned ammeter; but beyond that, I don't know how to work it. What does the dB gain knob do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts