Beginner's help with install!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vdt0001

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
United States
Hello Satellite Gurus! I have an SD setup at the lakehouse now and finally have the time (and $) to upgrade it to HD. I only need to run 1 HR21 there and would like to keep the install as simple and inexpensive as possible. Does anyone have a recommendation on a satellite model, switch model (if i even need one), and any other equipment I may need to get the job done myself? I think I probably need to avoid the SWM models due to cost and complexity. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Satellite Gurus! I have an SD setup at the lakehouse now and finally have the time (and $) to upgrade it to HD. I only need to run 1 HR21 there and would like to keep the install as simple and inexpensive as possible. Does anyone have a recommendation on a satellite model, switch model (if i even need one), and any other equipment I may need to get the job done myself? I think I probably need to avoid the SWM models due to cost and complexity. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

What type of set up do you currently have working at the lake now ?

You will need a SL3/5 depending on where your located, we'll need that info for your locals info, how far away is the lake house from the home set up ?

If you want to use the Non SWM set up, you'll need 2 lines from the LNB to the HR21. (if it's been working correctly with SD you probably already have this.

What dish do you currently have set up there ?

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure our setup now is an SL3 (it's an RCA round dish with 1 LNB eye). I'm in Birmingham, AL if that makes a difference for local stations. Lake-house is about 50 miles away and everything has been compatible when taking receivers back and forth so far.

EDIT: Not an SL3, a 3LNB

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys vdt0001!

An SL3/5 is an hd lnb, you almost certainly don't have an hd setup now. You need a Slimline dish with an SL3 lnb. Run two lines from the dish if you want to use both tuners in the dvr. You will also need a bbc for each line from the dish.

Awesome, yeah, definitely not SL model, sorry. Just the 3 LNB model. Would this be ok with a couple of BB converters?

thesatelliteshop.net/directv-hd-slimline-satellite-dish-antenna-with-sl3-lnb-p-1504.html

This model looks non-SWM which is kinda hard to find right now. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like the support arms because I'll be mounting it on a utility pole.

Also do I need to ground the wires somehow for safety?

Thanks!! I posted a link to a dish which made my last post get sent to the mods. It sounds like all I need is a non-SWM SL3 and a couple of BBCs. Any tips on a trustworthy place I could pick one of these up? It's kinda hard to find the non-swm older models for some reason. Do I need to be worried about grounding the lines coming into the house somehow? I will be mounting to a utility pole and will likely need the support braces with the dish.

I have had good luck with eBay. You will need the support poles. The dish should be grounded, but many of them aren't and don't have any issues. Good luck and don't be shy about asking more questions if need be!

:welcome to Satelliteguys vdt0001!

An SL3/5 is an hd lnb, you almost certainly don't have an hd setup now. You need a Slimline dish with an SL3 lnb. Run two lines from the dish if you want to use both tuners in the dvr. You will also need a bbc for each line from the dish.

Good call on the BBC's, I forgot about them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)