Being charged programming change fee 5 times

Mary just informed me that the fees are for AT250 as well as the 4 movie packages. I really can't blame Dish for expecting someone who commits to AEP to be ready to keep it for at least the initial 30 days. I just mistakenly assumed America's Everything Pak was a single package.

I will give you a example of how they just tried to hustle me so you can thell me they were right and I was wrong as usual.....

I am a pay in advance customer (look down your nose now) who was out of town for 10 days. my account is due on the 1st of the month (just a coincidence) and my trip began on the 1st (another coincidence) and when I renewed on the 10th I figured I was good until the next 10th.

well of course they were going to shut off my service on the 1st even though I paid for 30 days not 20 saying that is there policy and they do not charge a restart fee...

now in the past it always started when I restarted my service, but not this time....

would go on but have to leave for work now.....

Mary just informed me that the fees are for AT250 as well as the 4 movie packages. I really can't blame Dish for expecting someone who commits to AEP to be ready to keep it for at least the initial 30 days. I just mistakenly assumed America's Everything Pak was a single package.

Given that it costs $25 to drop AEP, perhaps better to just wait 31 days.

I didn't realize you only had it for less than 30 days. In that case, you should have to pay a downgrade fee. But, even so, AEP is advertised as a single package, and should be treated as such. When you cancel AEP, you are cancelling a single package. If they are going to treat it as AT250 plus 4 premiums, it shouldn't be marketed as a single package.

That is utter crap! It is sold as a single package and should cancel as a single package. Time to email or whatever to someone in charge over there.

I'm a switcher in that I usually change services every couple of years, but so far this year, what E* is doing with some of the fees is a real turnoff and makes me wonder whether switching back to them would be a good idea. First we have a thread discussing how a customer was charged a return fee for reducing his receiver count by one, and now this BS.

And while D* isn't perfect either, they sure don't pull stunts like these.

I didn't realize you only had it for less than 30 days. In that case, you should have to pay a downgrade fee. But, even so, AEP is advertised as a single package, and should be treated as such. When you cancel AEP, you are cancelling a single package. If they are going to treat it as AT250 plus 4 premiums, it shouldn't be marketed as a single package.

I agree with this. It seems bush league. Although with the steep rise in AEP, who is ever going to sign up for it again.

I am very surprised that the DIRT team cannot fix this situation. Mary B and the rest are usually very reasonable and able to fix what are clearly mistakes in the system. DISH is wrong here. If the package is sold as one package the fee should only be $5. I think the the problem is that the online ordering system is too smart for its own good. If you order the top 250 and then add the four premiums it automatically enrolls you in the AEP. It should also do this if you cancel those same services. As I say, I am very disappointed in the DIRT team, who have had only highest praise up to this point. Are they becoming just corporate hacks as time goes on?

I don't think there is anything to be fixed, the system is functioning as designed. DIRT also has to follow business rules so as far as putting the blame on DIRT, I don't think they deserve any blame. They attempted to help by looking at the account and I'm sure that they see its working as designed. Here is what I would guess is the reason for this business policy.

I'm guessing that the fewer people that have HBO, the more money Dish has to shell out to carry HBO. So to compensate for that they charge $5 per service when downgrading to make up for that cost. I'm sure this isn't the issue here but a lot of people attempt to manipulate the system by adding AEP, recording everything they can for a week or two and then drop the package and they plan on sitting back and watching all the recordings while only being charged a small amount for the short time they had the AEP on their account. It makes sense as to why they may charge $5 per service being downgraded. Solution, keep the programming at least 30 days.

Last edited:
The charge is also to keep people from subscribing to one channel for a special event like a fight then canceling the next day.

Dish has become more customer friendly as well because before it was a $5 downgrade charge no matter how long you had the channel.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Still the OP should have only been charged one $5 downgrade fee and not 5 for downgrading off of the AEP in less than 30 days. It's advertised as a single package, not 5 (base AT with 4 premiums).

If DISH wants to do it this way they need to state so up front that those people who are downgrading from AEP before 30 days will be charged $25 to do so.

Was that the explanation as to why it showed up or are you on the hook for $25 in fees?

I am very surprised that the DIRT team cannot fix this situation. Mary B and the rest are usually very reasonable and able to fix what are clearly mistakes in the system. DISH is wrong here. If the package is sold as one package the fee should only be $5. I think the the problem is that the online ordering system is too smart for its own good. If you order the top 250 and then add the four premiums it automatically enrolls you in the AEP. It should also do this if you cancel those same services. As I say, I am very disappointed in the DIRT team, who have had only highest praise up to this point. Are they becoming just corporate hacks as time goes on?

Actually Mary offered to waive 4 of the 5 removal fees, but I decided to either pay the $25 or keep AEP the full 30 days. I wasn't up in arms when I made the OP, just curious. :D

It is technically a bundle package. You get everything bundled at a discount. If you make that change though within 30 days, you do get hit with separate fees of $5 for each service.

This is probably there because there are some people who know how to work the system using a DVR. If you record enough stuff to watch for 60 days in 10, why keep the package for more than that time? It happened, Dish caught on, and they put something in place to stop it from happening. That's pretty typical for a business, unless they don't want to sustainable.

It's sad. Some people assume the company wants to screw people over, and the other half is out trying to get as much for as little as possible. If you watch the show Shameless, you know what I mean LOL.

Actually Mary offered to waive 4 of the 5 removal fees, but I decided to either pay the $25 or keep AEP the full 30 days. I wasn't up in arms when I made the OP, just curious. :D
???

So you decided to ignore Dish trying to make it right?

This is exactly what I would have expected. It was not clear from your original post that she made that offer. The DIRT team has been nothing but spectacular up to now in solving problems. I was very surprised that they would not be able to do something to solve this clearly unfair practice. I am a Dish fanboy, clearly, but I cannot understand all the people defending the charge of $25 to remove a single package. It is advertised as a single package and the charges for removal within 30 days should be for one, not five packages. I offer my kudos to DIRT again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts