Bell ExpressVu Help--can't get a signal

Tamara

Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Ontario, Canada
My stepdad and I have been trying for the last few hours to get the satellite dish working. It's up on the side of the house and pointing somewhat in the correct direction, however we are unable to get ANY signal at all. He was outside adjusting it per the instruction manual, while I was inside yelling out there was no change.

As far as we can tell (from the manual and a satellite being hooked up at their other house and from previously owning one at this house) we are doing everything we can think of, yet we are still unable to get any sort of signal and we have no idea what to try now. We had the transponder set to 11 and the satellite at 91 as the manual told us and it still didn't work.

Does anyone have any idea what to try or how to fix this?

Not without a bunch of more details.

Lets start with receiver model, dish type, LNB type, switch type if any, location, and the settings of azimuth, tilt and elevation you are using.

info

the receiver model is 4100
dish is 60 cm
LNB--DBS LNBF
The dish is wall mounted facing south (not near power lines)

I'm not sure about the azimuth but it's tilted at 38.9 which is the suggested tilt/elevation for our area

hopefully this helps, but satellite is new to me, as i use plain old cable at my house (my parents are the ones using satellite).

It is a known fact, as crazy as it sounds, that many of the 4100s do not come with Bell TV's software installed. This is a problem as the 82W & 91W satellites are not recognized properly by the receiver to let the user know they are in the correct postion. The software will not download until it in the correct position which puts you in a catch 22 situation. Do you have another receiver or can you borrow a friends or relatives to aim the dish? Another option if you are in Ontario is that you should be able get Bell to install it for free if it is a new account.

Bell TV Transponder 91 may be having trouble. I am only getting transponder 82 on my system. Has been this way since about 1:00 pm today.

Not one person on the Canadain site has complained today about transponder trouble, you need to look at something wrong on your side. Most likely you need to adjust your dish.

Do you have another receiver or can you borrow a friends or relatives to aim the dish?

You could also take your receiver to a friend, neighbour or relative's house and let Bell's software download on your 4100. Once this is done you will be able to use your own receiver to aim your dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)