Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
BenQ unveils Blu-ray writer
Monday, July 3, 2006; 9:07 AM - Reuters

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - BenQ Corp., Taiwan's top maker of cell phones and computer equipment, unveiled an optical disk writer which can handle the new Blu-ray high volume DVD storage format selling for 799 euros ($1,022) from August 2006.

A late August launch means that BenQ is one of the first electronics companies to sell a Blu-ray burner, simultaneously or even ahead of the main Blu-ray inventors and promoters Sony Corp, Pioneer and Philips.

The price of 799 euros, including value added tax (VAT), is aggressive for the first generation of Blu-ray disk recorders. Products from competitors will be priced at up to $1,500, excluding VAT.

Read the entire article here.

I remember

Ilya said:
BenQ unveils Blu-ray writer
Monday, July 3, 2006; 9:07 AM - Reuters

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - BenQ Corp., Taiwan's top maker of cell phones and computer equipment, unveiled an optical disk writer which can handle the new Blu-ray high volume DVD storage format selling for 799 euros ($1,022) from August 2006.

A late August launch means that BenQ is one of the first electronics companies to sell a Blu-ray burner, simultaneously or even ahead of the main Blu-ray inventors and promoters Sony Corp, Pioneer and Philips.

The price of 799 euros, including value added tax (VAT), is aggressive for the first generation of Blu-ray disk recorders. Products from competitors will be priced at up to $1,500, excluding VAT.

Read the entire article here.

Hi Ilya:

Once again...thanks again for the info!

As I have mentioned, I remember paying $700+ for my 1st DVD writer (It was scsi and I think a 2x Philips or maybe even a 1x!!!...no buffer underun protection either!

You almost cried when you wrote a coaster at $12-$15 + per Blank!!!

I have had 2 BenQ DVD writers in my own PC's and have been impressed with their write quality (1st I liked LiteOn...but then BenQ took the stage)BTW: If you like Sony...they are/were made by Liteon...or the cheapest bidder!)

Should be very interesting now that things are moving along.

Still I must say that from what I say of the sammy BR player...I was completely underwhelmed! So far i would say that the Tosh has the better PQ by far...BUT I AM STILL WAITING FOR A DUAL FORMAT PLAYER BEFORE MAKING ANY MOVE TO HD IN THE dDVD ARENA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)