Best buy or Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

s10zr2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
What is the advantage of buying the directv boxes thru bestbuy? The guy at best buy told me that they do not charge for each additional receiver if you buy them there. I know that is bs. It said right on the sign 4.99 additional receiver fee. Why would I spend 400.00 for 3 boxes (1hd dvr and 2 hd boxes), if I can call direct and get them for free. The directv rep didn't even have an answer why I should buy them at best buy. I know in the past if you bought your receivers they were yours, but this is no longer the case. The rep told me once I activated them they were directv's property.

If urgency is part of the equation, you can purchase them & set them up immediately (though I don't think they sell the dishes at BBY). If you're interested in a select model number you can purchase through a retailer because DTV can't tell you which receiver will be on the truck. From time to time BBY offers specials on DTV with special prices on TV's when you also activate DTV service.

These are just examples as I haven't purchased a receiver at retail since DTV switched to leasing receivers several years ago. More than likely, most customers with good credit should be able to get a better deal by going through one of our sponsors or through DTV directly.

The reason I purchased the D* boxes at Best Buy was that I had received Best Buy gift cards for the Holidays. I also received points for the purchase on the rewards zone. Why just pay for the boxes through D* when you can get bonus points from the purchase

Caveat: I have had some charge issues with the installation and having my own boxes from Best Buy, but I am working through the issue with the help of this forum and D*

Well D* offers the HDDVR free atm and free install... as Montey will attest you can get charged $70 a box to have a D* tech install them (in his case just touch them) if you buy through Best Buy and dont have a BB Geek Squad install it.

Best Buy is good for (like stated) getting a specific Model or if you are going to add a box to an existing system and do not need a tech (ie upgrading a SD box to HD)

If you want a specific model, a retailer like BB might be preferable. With Directv you don't get any choice, just HD DVR, etc. When the HR22 came out, BB was discounting the HR21.

I upgraded my sd receiver to a dvr and bought it through best buy. It was on a shelf marked as $70 and they honored the price. Plus saved paying for to get it installed.

I'd have no problem "buying" a receiver from BestBuy. In reality I'd probably get one from CostCo if I needed another and wanted to get it immediately. Have to say my recent experience with DirecTV has been good and my last two upgrades were ordered over the phone within the last month or so, were below what I could get them for at a local store, didn't require DirecTV installation, and were in my hands within a couple of days of the phone call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)