Best Buy quitting the 80GB PS3?

GameSpot News: The definitive source for video game news, announcements, ship dates, rankings, sales figures, and more.

The official story: While Best Buy had not returned requests for comment as of press time, a scrambling Sony representative did respond to GameSpot, saying "I'll get back to you as soon as I can on this." While the deviation from Sony's tried-and-true mantra "SCEA does not comment on rumor and/or speculation" raises an eyebrow, the response from local Best Buy stores lends significant weight to the claim. After phoning several locations in the San Francisco area, GameSpot has learned that the 80GB PlayStation 3 is neither in the company's distribution warehouses nor in its in-store databases. A quick scan of Bestbuy.com also reveals that the console has been removed from the retailer's online catalog.

Rumor: Best Buy Discontinuing 80GB PS3 (Updated) - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

Update: In a response to Shacknews, an SCEA representative did not comment on the subject of Best Buy's alleged discontinuation of the 80GB PS3, but indicated that a post addressing the matter will soon be on the official PlayStation blog.

PlayStation.Blog

I have a 60 GB and I've never used much more than 30 to this point... and that's with way more demos (probably about 20) than I can actually play. When more games come out that require installation to the hard drive, though, it might be more of an issue. The only one I've seen so far is Ninja Gaiden, and that wasn't a requirement, just an option...

I think the biggest gripe on the 40 gig is only 2 usb ports, I can say that was kinda stupid of Sony.

Right - taking away features, whether it was USB, memory cards, or WiFi was a much bigger loss with some of these other models than the hard drive space (although I would have had a hard time with 20GB).

Right - taking away features, whether it was USB, memory cards, or WiFi was a much bigger loss with some of these other models than the hard drive space (although I would have had a hard time with 20GB).

The only time I use a USB port on my 40G is to recharge a controller, load something from a flash drive, or use a USB keyboard briefly for online activities. Most the time the ports are not in use, so not a problem for me.

But what WiFi capabilities am I missing? I thought the only difference was # of USB ports, memory card slots, and HDD size. (I am connecting to the internet wirelessly.)

The only time I use a USB port on my 40G is to recharge a controller, load something from a flash drive, or use a USB keyboard briefly for online activities. Most the time the ports are not in use, so not a problem for me.

But what WiFi capabilities am I missing? I thought the only difference was # of USB ports, memory card slots, and HDD size. (I am connecting to the internet wirelessly.)

Sorry for the confusion... I'm not sure any of the current models are lacking WiFi - some of the older models were, though - that's all I was referring to.

Cool. Thanks.

In reference to switching out the PS3's hard drive... if a computer novice like me was to attempt something like that, how does the data from the original drive get onto the new one? Would I need to hook up both to a PC and use some kind of software like Norton Ghost to clone it? Or is there some easier way? With all the music and game demos and data I'm putting on my 40G, I may decide I need more room.

I think more than 2 usb ports are used for one of the music orientated games.

I was under the impression that every ps3 ever made had built in wireless.

Some folks use an IR remote that actually communicates through a USB device. Vurbano was kind enough to provide a link in another thread. There are also people that use at least one USB controller vice the BT ones. A USB keyboard is useful for the rare situation where you input text but unless you use it to web surf that is unlikely to bea full time need.

In theory the number of ports could be an issue. I have no idea if a hub would work.

Counterpoint to some of that is, Sony put bluetooth in so that you would not need usb. The BT remote is great and logitech sells a bluetooth keyboard that has a touchpad on it. Very nice.

Id rather use BT than wired/wireless usb any day.

The point of the USB/IR remote is that yoiu can then program a univeral remote with the commands. It isnot the right answer for everyone but it is something to consider---but i was trying to show that most of us don't need that many USB devices.

Out of curisoity can you use a USB flash drive on the 40GB in lieu of the missing memory cards?

The point of the USB/IR remote is that yoiu can then program a univeral remote with the commands. It isnot the right answer for everyone but it is something to consider---but i was trying to show that most of us don't need that many USB devices.

Oh yeah I understand. My thinking is just that Sony expected everyone to use BT, which is not the case.

I think more than 2 usb ports are used for one of the music orientated games.

I was under the impression that every ps3 ever made had built in wireless.

100% correct. as a matter of fact with rockband when they get the additional guitars out so 4 people can play and once then your going to have to make sure your controller is charged because you will be unable to charge the remote and have 4 people playing the game at the same time. You need the remote for the singer. Every ps3 had wireless built in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)