Best Buy Screw Up!!!!!!

tinydoughboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
This morning on Best Buy.com they were selling a 52" Samsung Plasma tv for 9.99.....yes I said it 9.99......with 70 delievery charge. I tried to order the TV and wasn't successfull.....So family went into Best Buy store and didn't get any resolution. Going to call corporate and try to get my tv...

Talked to a guy at the store and they called him and said sorry we will refund your money but you aren't getting the tv.....

Anyone else hear of this?

Normally, by law, I think stores are required to sell for the advertised price. Don't know if it pertains to internet sales though. Ask a lawyer. But if you get a lawyer involved, it'll probably cost you more than just buying the tv at regular price. Of course, you can always go to small claims court, without a lawyer.

It's a typographical error that (I'd be willing to bet) BB has a disclaimer to protect themselves against. You're not getting a TV for $10 no matter what you do.

I don't think it will come to that. . I figured it was mistake when p osted...and they have a disclaimer that states they reserve the right to withdraw advertisments due to mistakes before or after orders are fulfilled so they protected themselves....but wow...I was shocked to see that error.

A few months ago I paid for a $300 digital camera online to pick up in store at a Best Buy as I was on my way to the airport for a trip and needed to save time. But when I tried to pick it up, they said the price had gone up by $40 even though I had paid online. They showed me a disclaimer they have on their web site about withdrawling sale price prices at anytime and that they are subject to change. I ended up going to Costco and getting it cheaper than the original price I paid on Best Buy's site. Because of this and other past bad customer service, I will only use Best Buy as a last resort.

I took advantage of a typo in a local Fry's ad when I bought my PS3 for $339 the first weekend the 40 GB model was released (it should've been $399). It also came with two free BDs. Thankfully, Fry's honored the typo price, but only for those who arrived before they opened (some had driven quite some distance).

With ad in hand, we all raced to the display the second the doors opened, grabbed a PS3, and headed to check out before any checkers had even turned on their registers. It then took a good 30-40 mins before the store manager agreed to honor the typo price for us. A sign on the display explaining the ad error was posted for anyone who came later.

A few months ago I paid for a $300 digital camera online to pick up in store at a Best Buy as I was on my way to the airport for a trip and needed to save time. But when I tried to pick it up, they said the price had gone up by $40 even though I had paid online. They showed me a disclaimer they have on their web site about withdrawling sale price prices at anytime and that they are subject to change. I ended up going to Costco and getting it cheaper than the original price I paid on Best Buy's site. Because of this and other past bad customer service, I will only use Best Buy as a last resort.

This seems to be crossing the line from "typo" to bait and switch. Bait and Switch is illegal nearly everywhere, but you would probably need to be organized in order to show a pattern of abuse.

Problem is that you had the online receipt, but no written proof that they had refused to honor the purchase at that price. They would just say that you never bothered to pick it up, or you saw the unit and declined.

They are bad for doing that. Look at the site best buy sucks .com

They are bad for doing that. Look at the site best buy sucks .com

What is that site? It does not look like a legitimate site.

I sent a letter to their corp offices and the location but never heard back. I figure they just don't want my business and I'll gladly buy stuff at other places.

A few years ago, a local car dealer advertised a car that cost something like 1000 bananas (forget the actual number). It was some "cute" type ad. Anyway, a guy went there with the right number of bananas. Of course, the car dealer tried to laugh it off, and said "no way". The guy took them to court, and got the car for the bananas! They never tried any more "cute" ads.

What is that site? It does not look like a legitimate site.

I sent a letter to their corp offices and the location but never heard back. I figure they just don't want my business and I'll gladly buy stuff at other places.

There was one out there. I don't remember the exact name but it was where employees and customers were complaining about Best Buy and all the shady stuff they do.

A few years ago, a local car dealer advertised a car that cost something like 1000 bananas (forget the actual number). It was some "cute" type ad. Anyway, a guy went there with the right number of bananas. Of course, the car dealer tried to laugh it off, and said "no way". The guy took them to court, and got the car for the bananas! They never tried any more "cute" ads.
Yup that was at Stephens World of Wheels here in Connecticut that did that.

Now when they sell you a car they put a platic Stephens logo on the back of your car and the color is Yellow. I asked why such an ugly color and was told about the banana story.

My brother ordered one at 6:30 in the morning and had a delivery date and credit card charged, I had one in my cart, but couldn't get the delivery system to work, anyways it sucks as if we advertise a price and don't have it we get sued or yelled at, but some companies can just pull things down and not have to pay for their mistakes. I think Best Buy is one VERY screwed up company with their ways of practice, but until they pay it will just continue to get worse, sad as its either best buy or walmart here where i live...so I choose amazon as much as I can :)

I actually like Best Buy a lot. You can get some great deals there sometimes. The closest one is about 40-45 mins. away. The closest thing we have, in our town, to an A/V store is Sears, and they really don't even come close. I have had a falling out with them (didn't get my "rewards" from purchase of my new tv), but you can have a falling out with anyone. We used to have a Rex, but they sucked! My wife gets so aggravated with me, because any town we go to that has a Best Buy, I have to go to it. She practically has to drag me out. I'd spend most of the day, if left alone. :D It's one of my favorite places. I hated Circuit City, and was glad to see them die.

BTW............
I finally got my rewards, after getting in their face, and staying there awhile.