Do 4K UHD Blu-rays freeze up more often than other types of Blu-rays/DVDs?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, although it is very rare for me, I've noticed that occasionally some 4K Blu-rays that I've both owned and rented freeze up in whatever chapter of whatever movie I'm watching. Like I stated, it's rare, but I've never had it happen with Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, or DVD. My player is also region-free on Blu-ray and DVD if that makes a difference. The model is Sony UBP-X800. I've heard that 4K UHD Blu-rays are more data heavy and even though rare can get scratched and freeze up easier? Is that right? Thoughts? I'm curious...

Generally no in my experience. One recent exception, the Indiana Jones collection, one of the disks broke loose in the package and has a couple scratches. Skips in a few spots during playback.

I can't remember which movie but we had it happen once. I do know it wasn't a rental, it was a newly purchased 4K disc. Player just locked up. Had to power it down then all was fine.

Well, I think I maybe had a couple bad discs. The only copy that it had the issue that I own was "Man of Steel" and I replaced it and it plays fine now. The only other discs that it happened on were a couple discs from 3d-blurayrental.com. They were the first two Harry Potter movies (they sent a replacement disc on the first one that played fine and I just recently rented the second one and they mailed the replacement yesterday so I can't say yet). The two others were "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Spaceballs". Those two though I've seen so many times that I just hit skip to the next chapter and rewound close to the spot and didn't bother contacting about a replacement. Don't get me wrong. I think 3D Blu-ray Rental is a great company and every other rental from both them and Netflix played great. Might have been a fluke. I just thought I heard something about those types of discs more likely having issues since they are so thick containing data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts