BEST Buy sucks!!! HD DVD!!

really? when I tried using both it woldn't let me. with 12% off the it would end up taking it off from th e$499 and then, it wouldn't qualify for the 36 months ! How do you like it? I'm not impressed to be honest. it may be though cause my TV is already 3 years old and not as crispy as before. Although I still get awesome picture when I watch OTA stuff from my locals. I bought serenity and for me the pic was just OK. I'm still giving it a shot for a month when I'll be renting netflix HD dvds ;)

MI_GTO said:
Just picked mine up on Friday! 36 months financing AND 12% off using the coupon I got in the mail. :D

I also bought the 4yr performance plan so 499-12%=440 + 80=520. Since my total purchase was >499 they let me have the 36mo. I am also not too impressed with the PQ yet, but I only bought Cinderella Man, Jarhead, and Apollo 13 which looks the best out of the 3. I can't tell the difference between standard DVD's on my progressive scan player and upconverted on the HD-A1.

hmm, so did I. oh well, guess you got a more informed cashier. like you, I couldn't see any diference between my regular progressive dvd and the upconversion. some friends told me that it will look better on a 1080p display.

MI_GTO said:
I also bought the 4yr performance plan so 499-12%=440 + 80=520. Since my total purchase was >499 they let me have the 36mo. I am also not too impressed with the PQ yet, but I only bought Cinderella Man, Jarhead, and Apollo 13 which looks the best out of the 3. I can't tell the difference between standard DVD's on my progressive scan player and upconverted on the HD-A1.

Fgsilva said:
hmm, so did I. oh well, guess you got a more informed cashier. like you, I couldn't see any diference between my regular progressive dvd and the upconversion. some friends told me that it will look better on a 1080p display.

Hmmm. Interesting. My display is a Sony 57" rear projection CRT with 1080i resolution. My DVD player before I bought the XA1 was a Denon 1910 progressive scan with up to 1080i upconversion. I thought it was pretty damn good - some Superbit DVD's such as 5th Element and Starship Troopers looked as good as some of Dish network's "HD Lite" channels. But the XA1 blows the Denon out of the water on standard DVD upconversion. I've been enjoying re-watching standard DVD's and even bought new ones to enjoy on the XA1, and sold my Denon on eBay.

You guys are using HDMI output set to 1080i resolution? The A1/XA1 won't upconvert on component.

Yes, it does look a bit better than my regular 480p player. I also only played one HD-dvd in it (serenity) and I'm waiting for more from netflix. and yes, I'm using hdmi-dvi right now.

CochiseGuy said:
Hmmm. Interesting. My display is a Sony 57" rear projection CRT with 1080i resolution. My DVD player before I bought the XA1 was a Denon 1910 progressive scan with up to 1080i upconversion. I thought it was pretty damn good - some Superbit DVD's such as 5th Element and Starship Troopers looked as good as some of Dish network's "HD Lite" channels. But the XA1 blows the Denon out of the water on standard DVD upconversion. I've been enjoying re-watching standard DVD's and even bought new ones to enjoy on the XA1, and sold my Denon on eBay.

You guys are using HDMI output set to 1080i resolution? The A1/XA1 won't upconvert on component.

I am using HDMI-DVI as well set to 1080i. Played with it a little more last night with some of my standard DVD's and did notice a difference with some of them, but not all. Not a night and day difference, but better nonetheless. Gonna go pick up Aeon Flux and Chronicles of Riddick tonight and see what this thing can really do!

I also dumped my denon 1910

have been totally underwhelmed by Denon Products the past few years...dumped the receiver (forgot the Model, but it was about $1000) and the 1910 and picked up Pioneer Elite 59i DVD and the Tx72 Elite reveiver///Blew the Denon stuff away IMMEDIATELY with no tweaking either! THEN I USED THE TWEAK SOFTWARE ( "ESSENTIALS") AND also SET UP THE SOUND WITH MY OLD DB METER (1ST i TRIED THE BUILT IN SYSTEM FOR SOUND...EHHHH)...WHOA...HAPPER CAMPER

Still think I will wait on the HD DVD stuff as my upconversion is just about as good as the current HD-DVD Tosh...Hopefully the DVD material will look as good as my 4dtv +hdd200 Hd content and the local OTA (grant you...only PBS at the moment...the networks here are poor!)

Early adopters are to be commended though...I used to be one too!:D

CochiseGuy said:

Returned it!

so I only kept the HD-A1 for a couple of weeks. watched a few DVD and wasn't much impressed with it. Because right now I can survive watching HD (lite) from both Dish and Direct and my TV quality is going downhill anyway I figured I'd better wait maybe another year or so when the HD DVD price goes down, there are more titles available and I get a new TV (mine almost 4 years old!). Besides, every time I looked at that "monster" on my shelf I couldn't get rid of the feeling that I had purchased and old Beta VCR!!:D