Best College Football Saturdays You Can Recall

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
September 13th is shaping up to be possibly one of the best Saturdays in college football history:

Ohio State/USC, Fresno State/Wisconsin, UCLA/BYU, Notre Dame/Michigan, Purdue/Oregon, Georgia/South Carolina.

What are some of the best Saturdays for college football you can ever recall?

(I'm talking about days with multiple big games or great games, not one great game with your team. I'm talking about multiple highly anticipated/great games on one day)

There are several days every year that most of the big rivalry's are played on, that is the Best Saturday in most years, outside of bowl games.

Nothing can top November 18, 2006.....

#1 Ohio State vs. #2 Michigan. Two of the most successful football teams anywhere, have met 103 times. They’ve even met when both teams were undefeated and untied in 1970 and 1973. But the game in '06 was the first ever when both Ohio State and Michigan enter their regular-season finale undefeated, untied and ranked as the nation’s top two teams.

The game was highly touted by ESPN/ABC (there was even a game countdown clock for a week before kickoff) and was viewed by the largest television audience for a regular season college football game since 1993, averaging 21.8 million viewers.

The 42-39 Buckeye victory marked the first time in 43 years that the Buckeyes had won three consecutive games in the series.

The game gained even more significance when, on the eve of the meeting, legendary Michigan head coach and former Ohio State assistant coach Bo Schembechler died. Schembechler was honored with a video tribute at Ohio Stadium as well as a moment of silence before kickoff.

*Interesting Note: A Half an hour after the Ohio State-Michigan game ended, the Ohio Lottery PICK 4 evening drawing was 4-2-3-9, matching the final score of the game and paying out up to $5,000 per winner, for a total payout of $2.2 million.

Nothing can top November 18, 2006.....

#1 Ohio State vs. #2 Michigan. ...

I remember that game. For the #1 and #2 teams in the country, there was no defense whatsoever on either side. Surprising. Turned out to be an omen for each team's following bowl appearances. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)