Best Current DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

forsberg

Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Hey guys. I have a HR20-700 and been with DirecTv for almost 3 years now. I decided I need a new HD DVR and I want to get what is considered the best one out there. The following are questions in relation to the new DVR:

1) Can you get this particular DVR in black?

2) Is it really hit or miss in regards to getting a black DVR, based simply on whatever the particular driver may have in his/her truck? Or can I request one and feel confident that I will get one when the tech shows up?

3) I know this means I am signing a 2 year contract again, but should I go the route of calling retention right away when ordering the new equipment in order to get any possible discounts?

4) Is there any one time or new fees I will incur for requesting a new DVR?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey guys. I have a HR20-700 and been with DirecTv for almost 3 years now. I decided I need a new HD DVR and I want to get what is considered the best one out there. The following are questions in relation to the new DVR:

1) Can you get this particular DVR in black?
The new HR-24 is only offered in black at this point, and it is from all accounts, a terrific box. Much better than the other HRs

2) Is it really hit or miss in regards to getting a black DVR, based simply on whatever the particular driver may have in his/her truck? Or can I request one and feel confident that I will get one when the tech shows up?

If you get direct from D*, then yes. It is hit and miss. You can always get it from a second source and simply get it turned on.

3) I know this means I am signing a 2 year contract again, but should I go the route of calling retention right away when ordering the new equipment in order to get any possible discounts?
That is something for you to decide.

4) Is there any one time or new fees I will incur for requesting a new DVR?

Thanks in advance for your help
You will probably have to pay the lease cost of the DVR. Not sure what that is now. $99-$199 I think.
As far as new monthly fees, then no. Unless you are keeping the other box turned on as well. Then you would have a $5 monthly fee.

The new HR-24 is only offered in black at this point, and it is from all accounts, a terrific box. Much better than the other HRs

If you get direct from D*, then yes. It is hit and miss. You can always get it from a second source and simply get it turned on.

That is something for you to decide.

You will probably have to pay the lease cost of the DVR. Not sure what that is now. $99-$199 I think.
As far as new monthly fees, then no. Unless you are keeping the other box turned on as well. Then you would have a $5 monthly fee.

Thanks for the quick response msmith. I did forget about the lease fee. Is that a fee they are willing to spread out for you over 12-24 months (length of contract) or is it a one lump sum fee required to be paid on your next bill?

Thanks for the quick response msmith. I did forget about the lease fee. Is that a fee they are willing to spread out for you over 12-24 months (length of contract) or is it a one lump sum fee required to be paid on your next bill?

You may be able to get them to spread it out. Generally it is a one lump sum fee though.

I recommend getting it from a sponsor here. Check the links at the top of the page. If I am not mistaken, you can get it cheaper than through D* that way, AND you will be sure that you get the HR-24 and are not left at the mercy of what the installer has on the truck.

You may be able to get them to spread it out. Generally it is a one lump sum fee though.

I recommend getting it from a sponsor here. Check the links at the top of the page. If I am not mistaken, you can get it cheaper than through D* that way, AND you will be sure that you get the HR-24 and are not left at the mercy of what the installer has on the truck.

Thanks again. Is there a particular HR24 model I should ask for? Also, any particular sponsor you can recommend?

One other thing, but how dependable is DirecTv in sending you out a box to ship back to them the old leased receiver and then actually receiving the old DVR? I have always been worried based on some horror stories I read where it is never recorded on their end to be received, and then they try to charge you $1,000 or the price of the entire unit? This is what has been keeping me from updating, as I am afraid of some screw up on their end and then I get screwed in the end myself.

Thanks again. Is there a particular HR24 model I should ask for? Also, any particular sponsor you can recommend?

One other thing, but how dependable is DirecTv in sending you out a box to ship back to them the old leased receiver and then actually receiving the old DVR? I have always been worried based on some horror stories I read where it is never recorded on their end to be received, and then they try to charge you $1,000 or the price of the entire unit? This is what has been keeping me from updating, as I am afraid of some screw up on their end and then I get screwed in the end myself.

I think there is only one model for sale at the moment. I would hate to say one over the other, I think that any sponsor that sells them will do you right. There is also a thread here that gives you some info on the HR-24. Many members got theirs at Solid Signal, and some from Overstock as well.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212331-just-ordered-hr24.html

Every time I have had to send one in, the box arrived in a couple of days. Best advice on that is just to call and confirm in a few days that the box was in fact sent.

I think there is only one model for sale at the moment. I would hate to say one over the other, I think that any sponsor that sells them will do you right. There is also a thread here that gives you some info on the HR-24. Many members got theirs at Solid Signal, and some from Overstock as well.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212331-just-ordered-hr24.html

Every time I have had to send one in, the box arrived in a couple of days. Best advice on that is just to call and confirm in a few days that the box was in fact sent.

Thanks Msmith, as you are a big help. I will look further into the thread for the HR-24's....and how reliable are they in receiving the old DVR? I would hate to find out that they are saying they never received it and then I am left high and dry. Do you know of any situations where members returned their old DVR's in the box provided by DirecTv and then DirecTv saying they never go the box in return?

Make sure you inquire about seeing if you are eligible for any upgrades. I have twice been offered a free upgrade from my HR21 to a HR24. I turned both down because I might have to disconnect next summer for a while and I do not want to start another 24 month commitment at this time.

Make sure you inquire about seeing if you are eligible for any upgrades. I have twice been offered a free upgrade from my HR21 to a HR24. I turned both down because I might have to disconnect next summer for a while and I do not want to start another 24 month commitment at this time.

This is what I was thinking.....being that I am not in my current contract any longer (it expired one year ago) I could try for this in order for them to retain my business. I assume dealing with retention is the best way to go when checking into this?

By the way, I am a huge LOTR fan myself....I'm digging your name..... ;)

It cant hurt to call and ask. I assume they will tell you that they can not guarantee which model you will get though. You may be able to get some discounts out of it however.

As for getting the boxes back, just make sure you hang on to your tracking number when you send it out. Personally, I have never had any problems. I am sure there are some that have. Best thing is to make sure you have the documentation to back up when it was sent, and where it went. That will/should cover you in case there is a problem.

I would just contact a regular CSR to start. Sometimes they have notes on your account about being eligible for offers & upgrades.

Thank you! I will check back after my findings. With all the negative stuff people post in forums like this, I would like to report something positive if I can.....

...and thanks again msmith!!

By the way, welcome to the forum! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I am sure that someone here will have the info that you need on most anything sat related.

Thank you! I will check back after my findings. With all the negative stuff people post in forums like this, I would like to report something positive if I can.....

...and thanks again msmith!!

I will normally pack up the old and drop it off at the local FedEx and they take it from there, this way you have the tracking number on the paperwork right away.
Hang on to it till you see that the old is recvd and your good to go.

I have gotten a HR24 from D* as well as one from Solid Signal, both cost me the same price.
My original one I ordered from SS so I KNEW thats what I was getting and I could get it in 2 days, hooked it up called in to activate and was done with it !

Second one I called D* and ordered it, the installer came out and said that the HR24's were the only ones they were giving out, thats all they had.
Thats not always the case, probably changes from shipment to shipment I guess.

I will normally pack up the old and drop it off at the local FedEx and they take it from there, this way you have the tracking number on the paperwork right away.
Hang on to it till you see that the old is recvd and your good to go.

I have gotten a HR24 from D* as well as one from Solid Signal, both cost me the same price.
My original one I ordered from SS so I KNEW thats what I was getting and I could get it in 2 days, hooked it up called in to activate and was done with it !

Second one I called D* and ordered it, the installer came out and said that the HR24's were the only ones they were giving out, thats all they had.
Thats not always the case, probably changes from shipment to shipment I guess.

Well guys, when I called about a new receiver, I think I screwed up. I told them I wanted a new receiver because the current one is now very slow when changing channels (it is slow at times, but it is not something I can't deal with.) So they said they can send me a free one to replace the current HR20-700 I have since I have the protection plan. I told them I would like a black HD DVR, and especially the HR24. She said she would put that down, but no guarantees. I said to my self, "for free, I'll try it out."

Unfortunately, they sent me an HR20-100 I believe (I don't think this was even as good as the HR20-700) I have and of course, it is silver. I simply left it in the box and shipped it right back to them the same day. I had a bad feeling it was a refurb and that the 100 is not even as good as my 700 (not sure, but didn't want to take a chance anyway.)

Good news is I got them to offer me $20 off my Premiere package for 6 months and free HD for 12 months ($10 a month fee.) So, I guess I'll take that. They did say because I had the protection plan, that by sending me out a new HD DVR under that plan, that this did not require me to have a new 2 year contract (I am out of my current contract at this time.)

So I am still free from any contract. I guess I may have to bit the bullet and just call up Solid Signal and pay the $199 fee for the HR24. I wish I had gotten the HR24, but I rolled the dice and lost. I just thought I would pass my experience on to others.....but I accept it for what it is, so I am not unhappy nor happy...oh well.

The HR-24 is an incredible DVR. Nice storage, great response, looks great and is easy to expand in terms of storage.

Literally zero issues with this DVR.

The HR-24 is an incredible DVR. Nice storage, great response, looks great and is easy to expand in terms of storage.

Literally zero issues with this DVR.

Thanks chargerrich....I do want one, I am just not sure if i would get a $199 improvement over the HR20-700 since is it working fine....although going black would be nice since all my gear for my home theater is black except for this one piece of equipment. I actually wrapped a thin, black stocking around my HR20-700 to give it that black look. LOL!! Only if you look close can you see it. The stocking has been wrapped around it for 2 years now with no heating or remote control issues. I am a bit anal about how my home theater looks to me, and aesthetics play a big part. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)