Best deal for new subscriber

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
A friend of mine has just built a new house and wants to subscribe to Dish. His father lives with him and they each have their own HD TVS (and very different viewing preferences). After looking over the somewhat confusing Dish website, he has decided that he would like two Vip 622s, the Platinum HD programming pakage, and is elegible for Minneapolis HD locals. The online ordering seems to allow only one 622. Is it possible to order 2 622s as a new subscriber? Also, what is is the best promotional offer for his needs? Thanks.

Do both of them want the recording capability? If not, consider one 622 and one 211. I think E* is currently restricting the 622s to one-per-customer until the somewhat limited supply catches-up with the demand. I'm not aware of any shortage of the 211s. If two 622s are indeed wanted, I'd call and ask for two and perhaps try several calls ("CSR roulette") until you get one that agrees. Expect to pay $299 ea. for an 18-mo. lease plan ($49 for a 211) and that should include all dish(es) and related equipment to get them up and running. YMMV...

Only 1 622 can be leased the 2nd would have to be purchased. They could each open an account to get the leased 622 but they would need 2 programming accounts which could be prohibitive.

boba said:
Only 1 622 can be leased the 2nd would have to be purchased. They could each open an account to get the leased 622 but they would need 2 programming accounts which could be prohibitive.
Exceptions are sometimes made. This potential customer would seem a good one for Dish to woo.:)

bhelms said:
Do both of them want the recording capability? ..

Yes, his father (in his 80s) has his TV in a bedroom located in a walkout basement, and my friend's TV is in a sitting room on the 2nd floor. Not very easy for his dad to come up to watch a recorded HD program. In addition, he wants to able to program his father's receiver to record the shows that his dad watches but that he and his wife are not interested in. He is also worried that his own recordings might be accidentally deleted by his father if his dad is using his receiver.

Guess I'll suggest CSR roulette and hope he finds a sympathetic ear. If he does get a deal for two 622s over the phone, what are the chances that the order could be changed upon review by someone higher up before installation?

Thanks for the suggestions.

WildBill said:

Guess I'll suggest CSR roulette and hope he finds a sympathetic ear....
Also, try sending an E-mail to CEO@echostar.com and make a polite, straight-forward case for your needing two 622's and your intent to subscibe to the Platinum Package and that you'd certainly be willing, as a new customer, to commit to eighteen months of programming.

I have found that this route actually works when you make a reasonable case for programming and equipment outside the scripted offers.

SaltiDawg said:
Also, try sending an E-mail to CEO@echostar.com and make a polite, straight-forward case....
Yeah, I think we've learned that with E* (and probably D* for that matter) it's certainly not one-size-fits-all! There are many interpretations of the "rules" and a plea to a higher level is often successful. Even if it doesn't work today, tomorrow will likely be a different story, especially in the case of the 622s as the demand levels-off and supply catches-up...

PS - I don't think the order will be changed once it is booked, but I'm sure there are exceptions to that as well! If that happens you'll have an even greater case for "CEO@..." Another lesson - take names and badge numbers whenever possible and try to document everything...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts