Best dvr copy/backup solution - suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dvrjunkie

Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
DC Metro
Hi all.

I'm interested in getting some feedback on how members of this forum that have a dvr copy that video to a pc or other backup device. I have come up with 3 ways myself that I am currently looking into, and have listed a pro and con for each, but am interested in the communities' own solutions/recommendations. I am currently a Dtv subscriber and get NFL Sunday Ticket, but could switch to another provider if their was an adequate solution.

1) For a Dtv Genie34/44, purchase a NAS enclosure that supports RAID 1 and connect it to the esata connection of the dvr.
Pros: Allow backup of data via RAID
Cons: Recordings always tied to the Genie

2) Purchase a tivo and use that to record shows that can then be transferred to a pc or other backup drive
Pros: Recordings not tied to a dvr
Cons: Must pay subscription fee to tivo plus fee to current provider for the tivo box

3) Get a Fios subscription and build own dvr solution using a pc with cablecard compatible tv card
Pros: Recordings not tied to a dvr
Cons: Expensive to get NFL Sunday Ticket through XBox/Playstation

Other thoughts/suggestions?

How often are you wanting to "backup" a show/movie/program? I have the Hauppauge HD-PVR which will record in real-time into a computer, which can then be used to burn DVD or BluRay. Being real-time I don't use it often, but will record and burn a movie instead of buying it, and occasionally I'll use it with a series I want to keep off HBO/Showtime/Starz. I use the on-demand and do the series at one time.

Inexpensive, works on any provider, but time consuming if you want to backup alot of stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts