Best EHD for 722

smackman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
north louisiana
I am looking topurchase a EHD. I have a 722.

What is the best bang for the price?

Is there any initial cost to prepare my Receiver for a EHD?

Is the hookups simple?

Any info. Here pros and cons would be apprec.

Here are a few links that may be of interest to you:

Swapping EHDs between receivers.

Moving EHD.

Size.

MyBook RAID-1.

More on RAID for EHD.

USB hub.

You really don't need to start out with a fancy RAID system, a single disk system is probably best for you unless and until you get ultra antsy about your saved programs. From these and other links, you'll probably find that buying one of the Western Digital MyBooks is for you. I, and others, recommend you avoid any Seagate based solution. This is because you may have an extra step with Seagate drives- they go into a "sleep" mode which is bad news for use as an EHD. There is a software fix for this, by hooking up the Seagate to a PC first. But why bother?

DISH will charge a one time fee of about $40 for activating the EHD feature. And it's easy. Plug in the self powered EHD to the wall, and run the USB cable from the EHD to the ViP series receiver. In a few seconds, the receiver will recognize the drive, tell you it found a new USB device, and offer to format it. Say yes. Shortly, you'll be on your way.

Why do it? More space to store programs for later viewing. And your EHD will likely be more reliable than the HDD inside the ViP.

PS- I was born in Monroe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts