Best HD FTA Receiver with blind scan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

walt991

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Hello,

I'm looking for some recommendations on a new FTA HD receiver. Which one seems to be the best? I want something that has a really good blind scan feature.

Also, how much HD FTA is out there right now?

The BEST is a tough judgement, but considering the current state of blindscan in HD boxes, possibly the Pansat 9200 HD with the new DVB-S2 blindscan option might be the choice ( but it certainly wouldn't be the unanimous choice , nor even mine ).

On Ku band there are HD feeds and uplinks, but only a few HD channels. There is more HD available on C-band than on Ku band. Furthermore, considering that a lot of C-band is moving to DVB-S2 8psk modulation, to really cover all the bases you'd need a 10 foot dish and the ability to view 4:2:2 chroma channels. The Pansat 9200 cannot do 4:2:2 chroma, but the new AZbox CAN ( but doesn't have blindscan ). In fact, except for it's lack of blindscan, I'd call the AZbox HD Elite the BEST HD receiver available.

So , you see, there's no simple answer, because of the variety of signals we can conceivably run into, and no one box yet does it all-including blindscan . ( Haven't even talked about DCII, yet )

:)

As far as I know, there is only one with blind scan at the moment, the Pansat 9200. However, that receiver requires a separate add-in card for DVB-S2 (the new standard of DVB which supports MPEG-4), and uses a non-standard file system for the PVR hard drive. The best all-around HD receiver at this time is probably the AZBox. There is a review in the equipment reviews section.

...and the ability to view 4:2:2 chroma channels. The Pansat 9200 cannot do 4:2:2 chroma, but the new AZbox CAN ( but doesn't have blindscan ). In fact, except for it's lack of blindscan, I'd call the AZbox HD Elite the BEST HD receiver available.

If I had to, I could live without the blind scan. Since I can manually update the channels using Channel Master, I would consider that route.

Has anyone tried using Channel Master with the AZbox?

I'll take a look at the review.

Has anyone reviewed (or seen) the new S2 blind scan card for the 9200?

Several members -do- have the Vantage, and I believe it blind scans S2.
But, many who have it, also got an AZbox. :)

It's still very much a transitional time for HD boxes.
Those few on the market which are aimed at the FTA crowd (if any), are still evolving.
Or, at least that's my take on it.

...It's still very much a transitional time for HD boxes.
Those few on the market which are aimed at the FTA crowd (if any), are still evolving...

That's for sure!

I just finished reading the review for the AZbox. Very interesting. It looks like the features of a Wii combined with an FTA box.

Considering all the formats that are beamed from the different birds, I can see why blind scan would come later. They would have to work out all the bugs for each format before they could successfully blind scan for channels.

The other notable feature is that the price keeps creeping downward.

I'll be keeping an eye on this box for a while.

AZ (media player)

It bottomed out and has popped back up a bit.
If that hadn't happened last weekend, I'd have had mine on order. :)

Has anyone reviewed (or seen) the new S2 blind scan card for the 9200?

I have the new DVBS2 plus board it is a small board with two connections on it. I posted an update in the review section.

I have added pictures of the new board as well.

Last edited:
Does the Invacom Quad QPH-031 work with the AzBox Elite HD?

I really like my sonicview 8000. Blind scan. Local hdtv tuner. Record local or sat channels. PBS hd and fashion tv hd as well as a handful of unpublished treats. No s2. No 422.

I really like my sonicview 8000. Blind scan. Local hdtv tuner. Record local or sat channels. PBS hd and fashion tv hd as well as a handful of unpublished treats. No s2. No 422.

It can do S2 with an add-on board, but you need to get the right one. Most are hack boards, but there is a legitimate one also.

It can do S2 with an add-on board, but you need to get the right one. Most are hack boards, but there is a legitimate one also.
I don't think there is an add on board that can do DVB-S2 for the sonicview 8000.If it is.Could you show me a link to it.

AFAIK, the only receiver to get a board that is not for hacking purposes is the pansat 9200. The other receivers that can do dvb-s2 all had it built in (Pansat 9000, Coolsat 8000/8100, Diamond 9000, azbox, etc).

Of course, there are boards for the pansat, sonicview, viewsats and probably others (I don't know for sure) that were only for 1 thing really.

From what I've been reading in the reviews section, the AZBox with S2 blindscan and without the 20mbps stream cap would be the perfect HD receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)