Best HD package for CI subs

sonnyboy11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Ok, I have been pouring over the threads here and using search, so don't flame me please for starting this thread!

I currently have AEP, premium movies, and Center Ice pack. Two receivers, 622 and 508. I own the 508, the 622 is leased. All I watch is HD content, with the exception of the occasional hockey game in SD (on the 508, which I would not mind ditching altogether).

What, if anything, can I do to lower my bill? I want to keep all the HD, plus the HD movie channels, and of course Center Ice is already paid for.

I trust the E* reps to know what's best for me about as much as I trust that we'll get Sci-Fi channel in HD before BSG starts up again :p, so I thought I would ask here and see what people recommend!

Last edited:
i don't think you can get sports packages with the HD only plan.

I switched to the HD Only package last month and I also have the CI package. I was also assured that I could get CI again next season with no problem. This assurance came from a CSR so it needs to be confirmed when I attempt to subscribe for CI next season.

If you think about it, there is no reason for Dish not to let you have CI. There are no channel or HD "rules" conflicts with the HD Only package and it's another $150 in Dish's pocket...

Except that you can't get your local teams for Center Ice. Unless they've changed and now allow you to receiver your local RSN. Of course you could always "move" so that it wouldn't be an issue.

I switched to the HD Only package last month and I also have the CI package. I was also assured that I could get CI again next season with no problem. This assurance came from a CSR so it needs to be confirmed when I attempt to subscribe for CI next season.

If you think about it, there is no reason for Dish not to let you have CI. There are no channel or HD "rules" conflicts with the HD Only package and it's another $150 in Dish's pocket...

Ah that's great! I just called and made the switch. The rep assured me it would not impact current CI sub. I did not ask about next season but I doubt she would have known.

Anyway, thanks for the info- this is great! I just wacked about $50 off my bill and got to keep only the channels I watch. :up

Question for you guys with CI -- do you still get your local RSN? I would love to change to the HD only package, but fear losing my local RSN. FYI -- when the Ducks/Kings are on CI and FSW or Prime Ticket they CI feed is blacked out, so if I lose my local RSN that would mean no Kings/Ducks games :-(

Question for you guys with CI -- do you still get your local RSN? I would love to change to the HD only package, but fear losing my local RSN. FYI -- when the Ducks/Kings are on CI and FSW or Prime Ticket they CI feed is blacked out, so if I lose my local RSN that would mean no Kings/Ducks games :-(

You will lose your RSNs. I had the same dilemma. I am a Kings fan too, but I go to about 30 games a year already. And frankly after the lousy season we have had, I can miss the remaining couple of games coming up on TV/FSN/Prime without feeling too bad about it. :cool: The Ducks I could care less about (see my avatar). For next season if they haven't added the RSNs or created some kind of sport pack that includes them, I'll have to consider my options.

The one channel that hurt losing was Sci-Fi since I am a big enough BSG fan to actually watch that one in SD. Fortunately I found a place to watch episodes online so that cinched the deal for me. Hard to say 'no' to $50 a month in savings.

Thanks for the info. I'm more worried about the Kings too. Unfortunately San Diego is just too damn far to drive to make 30 games a season. As it is 20 is a stretch, plus I tivo every Kings game. I actually get the Kings on Center Ice, its just the few times they play the Ducks in Anaheim or are one NHL Network and FSW that I get blacked out on CI. I may consider going this route for the savings. Thanks again!

No, you lose your RSN(s).

For L.A., the Kings have been lousy anyway -- so bad that Fox has started to skip some games. And I hate the Ducks. And you could count the number of Kings and Ducks games that Fox has shown in HD this season on two hands.

The only time I might regret not being able to see the Ducks any more this season is when the Red Wings kick their duck tails in the playoffs...but maybe that will be in the semis on Versus...

Losing the RSN's was the biggest regret in my decision to go to the HD Only package but that was more than offset by shaving $80+ off my bill!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts