Best HD picture

There's a thread going on the OTA forum that says its closer to 36 mbps, but still no confirmation of that.

So much for my guess. :( From Wikipedia:
Ultimately, it has been decided that H.264 would not be considered for ATSC-3.0, but rather the newer MPEG-H HEVC / H.265 codec would be used instead, with OFDM instead of 8VSB for modulation, allowing for 28 Mbit/s[20][21][22][23][24] to 36 Mbit/s[25] or more of bandwidth on a single 6-MHz channel.
ATSC 3.0 uses a physical layer that is based on orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) modulation with low-density parity-check code (LDPC) FEC codes.[5] With a 6 MHz channel the bit rate can vary from 1 Mbit/s to 57 Mbit/s depending on the parameters that are used.[5] ATSC 3.0 can have up to 4 physical layer pipes (PLP) in a channel with different robustness levels used for each PLP.[5] An example of how PLP can be used would be a channel that delivers HD video over a robust PLP and enhances the video to UHD with Scalable Video Coding over a higher bitrate PLP.[6]

Did I learn my lesson. No! I am now guessing that it's the OFDM that allows this magic.

I think what dare2be is referring to is "cramming" more diginets into a channel. That would require bandwidth sacrifice depending on how many feeds and what bitrate they wish to achieve.​
I know he is. But the repack has no relation to how many diginets will be forced into a channel.

I would have guessed that the bandwidth is the same as the old NTSC channel. ATSC3 should be just a better way of compressing the data within that 19.8Mbps.
A "channel" (whether NTSC, ATSC 1.0, or ATSC 3.0) is 6Mhz wide. The repack doesn't change this. Channels will still be 6Mhz wide, they will just be all below channel 37. The repack doesn't give any more bandwidth.

ATSC 1.0 allows for 19.39Mb/second inside that 6Mhz channel. Again, the repack doesn't change that.
The number I've heard for ATSC 3.0 is ~25-27Mb/second. So you get a slightly bigger "pipe", but also better compression. Therefore, you can put more data through ATSC3.0. That can be 4k, multiple HD, crapton of SD, or other data that folks are still figuring out (how about targeted ads delivered OTA? or stats for a sporting event that the viewer can decide to call up?).

I’ve had both and give DirecTV a slight PQ edge. The Hopper is a much better DVR and DishAnywhere a much better mobile app though. This no HBO is starting to get to me though. I may change when I contract is up to play the price game. May try my local cable company I got Dish when I moved over four years ago because at the time they didn’t have a multi room DVR option.

I know he is. But the repack has no relation to how many diginets will be forced into a channel.

A "channel" (whether NTSC, ATSC 1.0, or ATSC 3.0) is 6Mhz wide. The repack doesn't change this. Channels will still be 6Mhz wide, they will just be all below channel 37. The repack doesn't give any more bandwidth.

ATSC 1.0 allows for 19.39Mb/second inside that 6Mhz channel. Again, the repack doesn't change that.

The number I've heard for ATSC 3.0 is ~25-27Mb/second. So you get a slightly bigger "pipe", but also better compression. Therefore, you can put more data through ATSC3.0. That can be 4k, multiple HD, crapton of SD, or other data that folks are still figuring out (how about targeted ads delivered OTA? or stats for a sporting event that the viewer can decide to call up?).

That is correct, except the maximum bitrate is expected to be 36 mbps.

I've got both now and on some channels DirecTV HD is a tiny bit better and on some channels DISH HD is a tiny bit better. Overall IMHO it's a wash.

Now SD is a different story with DISH having the clear upper hand. :)
I suspect that will change when Directv goes to mpeg4 for the 101 satellite.

That is correct, except the maximum bitrate is expected to be 36 mbps.
There's a difference between "expected" and "is". The number I'm hearing that is practical/realistic is ~25. Honestly, I'm hoping you're right.

It will in larger markets where the number of diginets far exceeds the number of available channels.
As far as I know, no channel was forced to shutdown. Some chose to.

Reactions: TheKrell
I think the word is supposed to mean different networks on the subchannel of a main channel. But a lot of the time, the subchannels are all just subchannels of the main channel and not somebody else's network. Why not just call it a subchnanel and cover both cases? It has the same number of syllables.

Reactions: HipKat
I'm not following. Can you give me an example?

That's because I expressed my thought so badly. :( Let's take my local PBS station which has a main channel and 3 subchannels. One of their subchannels is WETA-UK, which runs BBC programming. I would call only that channel, WETA-UK, a "diginet". The rest are all PBS (sub) channels.Why not use "subchannel" for all of them?

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
That's because I expressed my thought so badly. :( Let's take my local PBS station which has a main channel and 3 subchannels. One of their subchannels is WETA-UK, which runs BBC programming. I would call only that channel, WETA-UK, a "diginet". The rest are all PBS (sub) channels.Why not use "subchannel" for all of them?
I think PBS is the exception. When someone says "diginets", I picture a "non standard"/niche network. Ie: Laff, Bounce, MeTV, MyTV, etc. All diginets are subchannels, but not all subchannels are diginets.

Their all stations to me, whether they share the same channel numbers or not, real or virtual.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)