Best input resolution for 720p set

tawhite

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 24, 2005
The Sunshine State
I have a 720p DLP set running off a Dish 942 HD receiver and I am wondering what is the best setting to have the sat box at? I haven't seen a significant difference between 720p and 1080i while I have switched it back and forth. Any opinions on whether to send it the 720p or run the box at 1080i and let the set do the conversion?

Thanks!

tawhite said:
I haven't seen a significant difference between 720p and 1080i while I have switched it back and forth.
That statement right there is the key. It's your eyes that are watching TV so they're all that matter. If you can't see a difference, leave things how they are.

Technically, the issue comes down to which device has the better scaler, your TV or your set-top. Again though, personal preference kicks back in determining which is better. In your case, with your eyes, both devices appear to do an equal job of converting.

Use 1080i as the output format on your Dish receiver. Let your television down rez it to 720 P

regards

gregg

Gregg,
Just trying to understand, by suggesting that any DLP monitor has a better scaler that his 942 HD STB, have the STB output 1080I (since most HD programs are 1080I) and let the DLP monitor down rez to 720P.

But what if you watch FOX-HD (broadcast at 720P)...then maybe switch the output on the HD STB to 720P? Then & only then?

Still amazed with the job you did on my monitor. Thanks again.

Barney

Hey Gregg, thanks for the response! Wow, from the man himself!

I do second the question from Barney regarding 720p broadcasts such as Fox. Is is still beneficial to let the box output 1080i as it will be upconverting the 720p to 1080i and then the TV will be downconverting back to 720p?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:
More stations broadcast in 1080i than 720p - The 3 that broadcast in 720p would get a double coversion but all the rest would get a single. Now you could switch back and forth but it is a pain.

Last edited:
My Samsung LN-S4051 LCD displays 1920 X 1080i on every channel when I set the input on my Dish 211 to 1080i. It also displays V 33KHZ and when I use 720P it displays V 44KHZ . Of course H is always 30 KHZ. I am not sure what is the best way to go. Thanks,Richard

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)