No surround sound for smart TV apps

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mirage52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
So I recently had a fireplace and built-in bookshelves & cabinets installed. Since I had been out of the tech game for so long (I was still rolling with a 2002 Mitsubishi projection TV) I wasn't as up to date on what wires I should have had roughed in for my TV and A/V receiver for surround sound. The contractors suggested one HDMI cable be run from the TV to the A/V receiver, which I did, and used the HDMI output on the A/V receiver to connect my DirecTV receiver and Blu-Ray player. That all works fine. But what I didn't account for was an audio connection for the smart TV apps like Netflix, HBO Go, etc. I thought a single HDMI cable would suffice, but apparently my A/V receiver doesn't have the ARC capabilities. So now I am left with no surround sound for smart TV apps. They'll only play from the TV speakers. Yuck.

I am running through my possibilities to get surround sound for these apps and so far I have come up with the following:

1. Buy a new A/V receiver with ARC capability. Unfortunately, I've already spent a ton on the project so I am unable to spend $500+ for a new A/V receiver and besides, my current one still works fine.

2. Buy a better bluetooth speaker. I currently have a Bose SoundLink speaker, and it sounds better than the TV speakers but not good enough for this audiophile. Besides, a better bluetooth speaker is just more money. I know about soundbars but I already have surround sound so that really doesn't make sense for me and I alreay have hundreds of dollars, if not thousands, wrapped up in my surround sound gear, which I've had for almost 20 years. I don't want to give it up.

3. And this is the option I want to pursue: installing a coaxial cable. However, this would be the messiest option and likely expensive since I wouldn't want to do it myself. It would also require taking down the TV, putting a bigger hole in the wall, fishing wire through the wall and around fireplace vent and gas line, and trying to wriggle it out of the small hole that the contractors used to run my existing wires through. Perhaps this could be done. And if I am spending money on a fix, this is the one I would prefer to spend it on since it is the most logical solution. The contractor is coming over tomorrow for something unrelated they need to address so I was going to ask them their thoughts on this and how much it would cost. Still, this makes me nervous and is likely costly, and would require me to un-do all the work I've done setting up my surround sound, and essentially starting over. I hate re-doing stuff I've already done and it would take me a few hours to re-connect everything. But....it would be worth it.

Other options would be to use a Chromecast or Firestick to get my apps in surround sound via the A/V receiver, but that is less desireale when I have a $2K TV sitting there with the apps already on it. Plus, I am short of outlet space in my cabinet.

Is there another option that I am not thinking of? What would you do in this situation?

Thanks for your suggesttions in advance!

But what I didn't account for was an audio connection for the smart TV apps like Netflix, HBO Go, etc. I thought a single HDMI cable would suffice, but apparently my A/V receiver doesn't have the ARC capabilities. So now I am left with no surround sound for smart TV apps. They'll only play from the TV speakers. Yuck.
This is an all too common oversight when building around a SMART TV.
1. Buy a new A/V receiver with ARC capability. Unfortunately, I've already spent a ton on the project so I am unable to spend $500+ for a new A/V receiver and besides, my current one still works fine.
Works fine is subjective. If it doesn't do what you need it to do, it doesn't really work fine. You kind of painted yourself into a corner by centering on a device that has very limited connection options.
2. Buy a better bluetooth speaker.
A Bluetooth speaker isn't going to help one iota with surround sound. Don't even think about it.
other options would be to use a Chromecast or Firestick to get my apps in surround sound via the A/V receiver, but that is less desireale when I have a $2K TV sitting there with the apps already on it.
Here's your answer. I'd suggest either a UHD Fire Stick or a Roku Ultra (depending on the streaming services you like to use). If you favor iTunes, you'll need do drop a lot more money for an AppleTV. Most of the streaming devices are very small and do NOT require IR visibility. Chromecast is not your friend as it requires a streaming source (like a phone or tablet) and that's just wrong.

Your SMART TV probably won't be very smart for long (if you bought it for its "smart" features, you arguably made a mistake) and it will always have this problem with your existing AV receiver.

I have a Roku 3 set up on a different AV receiver HDMI input from my pay TV box, gaming console and multiple disc players and the only real downside is that I have to pick up a different remote to run the Roku (it uses Wi-fi band).

If your AV receiver isn't up to Dolby Digital+, perhaps you're going to have to pop for a new receiver/surround processor anyway as that's the favored audio format for the streaming services.

There's some decided opinion in the above rhetoric, but it is pretty thoughtfully arrived at.

Thanks for the reply.

"Works fine" means that I don't see the value in replacing it. It runs 7.1 DD, DTS, THX certified etc. Maybe 6-7 years old. The only thing it lacks is an ARC input (and I don't even know for sure that it does).

I went home at lunch and installed a FireStick into my A/V reciever'sHDMI input. Now I cna get my apps in surround sound. Problem solved for now.

And the TV is a Samsung 65 inch Q8. For what I paid for it it better stay pretty smart for a good while!

For what I paid for it it better stay pretty smart for a good while!
A perhaps unjustified assumption. I bought a Samsung Blu-ray player and one year later I could no longer stream Netflix. The next year it could no longer stream YouTube. After about five years, none of the apps do what they were intended to do. Some things can't be fixed with firmware updates.

SMART TV updates may come out a few times over the life of the TV and then stop altogether. Roku updates come out every few months -- even for some of the earliest models. If you look at the Samsung website, their most recent long-term solution (versus the old $400 One Connect box) is to finance a new TV every two years.

Samsung TV Upgrade Terms and Conditions | Samsung US

I think you'll be pleased with the FireTV. You'll be even happier if your AVR acknowledges that it is receiving DD+ as my similarly aged Onkyo does.

Would it be possible to use the existing in-wall HDMI cable to fish another HDMI cable plus a TOS-Link cable through the wall? Unless code requires low-voltage wiring to be in conduit, many installers run cables loose through the walls (no staples or clamps) and it wouldn't be too hard to pull out the existing cable.

A good installer will secure the cabling.

Of course your AVR has to speak the language that the TV is talking or it doesn't matter what kind of digital connection you have (though coaxial has higher bandwidth than TOSLINK).

A good installer will secure the cabling.

Of course your AVR has to speak the language that the TV is talking or it doesn't matter what kind of digital connection you have (though coaxial has higher bandwidth than TOSLINK).
Not if its existing wall ...
If its new construction, sure ... in this case its not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts