This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Best Long range antenna

leifkenn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Colorado
Hello All,
I am looking for advice for the best long range antenna for OTA broadcasts.
I am 65-90 miles away from 2 different cities Denver and Colorado Springs.
I currently have a Ebay special Lava hd2805 and it works okay but is flimsy and I have went through 3 motors.
I will be connecting to a HDhomerun as well as 4 other Tv in the house.
My elevation is 6200 ft and am in a bit of a valley.
Thank you

[h=1][/h]

I'm using a Winegard YA1713 for VHF channels 7 - 13 and a Winegard HD9032 for UHF. This combination provides the highest antenna gains that I could find. The size and cost are a significantly lower than equivalent combo antennas and the performance is better. There are no lower VHF channels in my area, so 2 - 6 capability was not required.

Use an AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 for VHF and an Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF. Combined them using an AntennaCraft 10G222 (dual input) pre-amp with a Channel Master CM9521A or Eagle Aspen ROTR100 rotor. Run a separate control wire if you use the Eagle Aspen. Use a high quality solid copper RG-6 (Belden 7915A) cable with high quality compression fittings. You will be a very happy person. Solid Signal usually has the best prices.

For Colorado Springs everything is on UHF except KTSC which is VHF-Hi. There is another PBS translator on UHF so you could go with just a UHF antenna like the 91XG in a fixed position. As far as Denver goes anything other than the PBS station would probably take extreme measures to have anything consistent.

I did notice that at about 50 feet most of the Colorado Springs stations become LOS so try to get your antenna as high as you can.