Status
Not open for further replies.

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting another HDTV before too long, and was wondering what type of display technology displays the best image? Can a front projector display as good of a picture as a DLP set? Is DLP or plasma better, etc? Thanks for any input.

Also, some things which are important to me are being able to resolve the full 1920 X 1080 resolution and being able to display images in 1080p. Are there products in all of the different display technologies that can do this now? I saw a Toshiba 62HM195 specification sheet which showed that it could do both of these things, and it is a DLP set, so I know that some of the DLPs can do this.

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

Sean,

I'm in the same boat. Look Here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=1218&page_number=1

I'm down to the JVC and Mitsu. There is a Sony and a HP out there as well. Out of the 4, the HP and JVC are the only units that will accept a 1080p signal (Of course there are no 1080p signals to be had out there.) I have seen all but the HP in action and they render a 1080i signal VERY well. There was an HDDVD player hooked up to the JVC and the demo disc looked better than any HDTV signal I have ever seen. By the way, the HDDVD player was provided by JVC as part of the display - it was not for sale. I have seen a bad rating for the Mitsu on C-Net, but it doesn't deserve the 6.9 rating at all. They must have had a bad set.

I would go for a top quality HD-FPTV over a "flat" display restricted to 65" or smaller. You should investigate ALL techs as opposed to being locked into "flat" (which FPTV is flatter) and a better value with equally stunning display between 60" - 250"

I'm not a fan a Plasma. A 3-chip DLP front projector (for a large dark room) or a 1080p LCD (for a room where size or lighting are issues) are better choices.

I have been very impressed with my Sony SXRD. Yes it doesn't take a native 1080p signal, but the upconversion to 1080p looks incredible.

I had 20 people over for the super bowl, and more wanted to watch on my Sony than my Benq 8700 123" front projection in my theater room.

It has that kind of wow factor.

GeorgeLV said:
I'm not a fan a Plasma. A 3-chip DLP front projector (for a large dark room) or a 1080p LCD (for a room where size or lighting are issues) are better choices.

With today's new FPTV the rooms no longer have to be pitch black. Proper research of lumens will yield perfect results without be in a cave, LOL!

GeorgeLV said:

What price range is a 3chip DLP projector?

I got my top industry pick PLV-Z4 and 119" display on a HC Matte DaLite screen right at $2100 (3) 0.7" PolySi LCD - added another $200 for custom cables and ceiling amount; all installed by myself: $2300 and it WOW's those people that originally thought that "flat screens" WOW'd them. The screen is ultimately flatter, the display equally stunning, and the FPTV weighs in @ 11lbs and takes up less than 1 total cubic foot on the "out of the way" ceiling.

Last edited:
I believe the HP DLP is the only PRTV that truely accepts a 1080P input. While some heve successfully input 1080P from a HTPC JVC does not claim to be able to do this on either their consumer or pro models.

I have no knowledge of front projectors.

I think I'm going to go with the Optoma HD81 projector. Here is a link that discusses it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=628036

It can accept 1080p input, and can fully resolve 1920X1080. It doesn't come out until the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2006, but it looks like it is probably the best bet for my setup. (I have a high ceiling in a large room that will allow me to have a large projection screen.) I guess I'll play the waiting game for a while.

Make sure to search it at www.projectorcentral.com as they are the top authority. Use the projection calculator to make sure you get the correct screen and the proper throw distance. You can also compare your model vs other top picks. $10,000 MSRP seems a bit overkill just to get 1080P

While PJ central is a valuable resource beware that their reviews have been watered down over the past couple of years. It seems that they think everything is "great" now.

Ask around here, AVS, HTspot, HTforum, and PJcentral. You should be able to form a pretty educated opinion when you take in and digest info from the above 5 sites.

You'll have to wade through a buch of "What I have is best" posts as well as the 1 month member with 400 posts who is an authority on everything and folks who are dealers but you'll also find people that have a vast amount of experience with many different products.

Just be sure to "read between the lines". If a guy who has owned an X-1 (800x600) projector is telling you which 1080p display is best, you may find he's a cheese farmer.

Last edited:
Depending on how eager you are to buy you might just want to wait for an SED since it'll give you the best PQ for a big screen from what I'm hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts