Best method for connecting for remote access and Sling adapter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hawkcigar

Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Iowa
Hi Everyone...new member here.

I've spent some time searching and reading old threads but just want to make sure I'm not getting my signals crossed.

I have a VIP 722 and want to be able to use my Droid 2 phone for remote access. I'd also like to try the Sling adapter for TV Everywhere viewing. Here's my situation:

It's going to be difficult for me to run cable so I'd like to utilize my wireless router. It seems like that means I need to use the NetGear wireless adapter or the Sling Link homeplug device to connect the 722 to the router. Is one of these options better than the other?

The other thing is that it looks like the back of the 722 only has a single USB port. Is it even possible to connect the NetGear Wireless adapter and Sling adapter to the back of the 722? Would the use of a USB hub connected into the 722 make that connection possible?

Lots of questions I know:confused: . I think I understand how it can be done but just want to make sure I'm on the right track and make sure that I'm using the most reliable method of connecting. (I understand that a wired connection would be the MOST reliable)

Thanks much for any help/advice offered!

not positive on the USB hub, I have my sling adapter hooked up to the front of my 722 (took the little door off). I do believe the wireless adapter has much better bandwidth capability, but also cost twice as much if you buy it. If you have a DNS tech out there, he can hook up either one, but he will try Slinglink first if it works, company policy to save money. not sure how it changes the quality of streaming because I wired my ethernet direct to the receiver

I personally would go with a USB hub and the WIFI adapter if those are the only 2 routes you want to go but there are other options.
I haven't bought into the Sling Link yet as if the Circuts are 2 different legs of power you will run into problems
They way I get my network to the 722k is through a Wireless bridge. This also allows for you to add a network switch behind the bridge which would allow you to hook up more network devices in the future

The USB hub works just fine as long as you use a POWERED hub. I have all three (Wireless adapter, EHD, and Sling) plugged into my hub...

So it sounds like the powered hub is a good way to go. Is there a brand/model of hub that the group sees as a good choice?

Thanks for the help and replies!