Best Motorola HD DVR available for Comcast ???

cire50

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
What model is the best and can I purchase one ... if so ... where ??

Thanks!!

Eric

What model is the best and can I purchase one ... if so ... where ??

Thanks!!

Eric

Nope. Comcast only rents, and they won't activate an owned one.

Best bet is to drop into the Comcast office and ask what is available. Our office only has one DVR, the Motorola DCH-6416

Nope. Comcast only rents, and they won't activate an owned one.

Best bet is to drop into the Comcast office and ask what is available. Our office only has one DVR, the Motorola DCH-6416

From my understanding they can't keep you from owning your own and my local office said I can activate it on their system just like a Tivo.

If they activate it they will charge you the same DVR fee as the one you rent. I'd rent in a minute because they will replace it when, not if, it breaks.

If they activate it they will charge you the same DVR fee as the one you rent. I'd rent in a minute because they will replace it when, not if, it breaks.

I'm told I can purchase and activate the box as if it were a Tivo. Also was told I only have to pay for cable service .. not the DVR service.

Did you call Comcast and ask them??
This is very important, at this time no one is enforcing the open access policy!!
If you purchase a box make sure you can return it or you will learn an expensive lesson!!

Talked to Comcast

Just finished talking to Comcast a second time to verify activating a purchased HD DVR ..... and yes it can be done.

So the question still remains .... Which Motorola box is best ??

DCH 3416 is the most current. It will work only if your area has ADS. If not, then the DCT 6416 is your choice.

Just finished talking to Comcast a second time to verify activating a purchased HD DVR ..... and yes it can be done.

So the question still remains .... Which Motorola box is best ??

Comcast will not activate a customer bought receiver at this time. Please take my word for it.

Comcast will not activate a customer bought receiver at this time. Please take my word for it.

I backed off on that because the world does not have one Comcast. Each area seems to have its own policies, selections, prices, etc. If cire50 says his Comcast will let him activate owned equipment, so be it.

BTW, I hate the 6416. Buggy software, small capacity, horrible UI. A triple threat.

OK ... update !! I called back a third time and got a very helpful local CSR and she took the time to check things out. First ... they will and have to by law now activate owned equipment, but and it's a big but .... the are NO Motorola boxes for sale legit !!! That's what wasn't sitting well with me while checking out eBay and asking the sellers where they got theirs. No one could answer me for sure if it was a leased box or not. Comcast CSR told me all Motorola boxes are owned by cable companys for right now. They maybe available later due to the congress ruling. Anyway back to the Tivo idea I guess.

Any input on Tivo's guys ???

Thanks again for all your help guys ... sorry if I jumped the gun !!

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)