Best Plus Pack for HD Viewing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

notcat2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
For the first month of my Voom Sub I opted for the total package. Thinking I could choose a slimmed down subscription after one month I may have made a mistake.

I noticed that the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz packages all offered the same amount of channels (each offering 9). The difference I then noticed was Showtime and Starz both had 3 HD channels in their lineup. HBO and Cinemax only had the 2 (east and west).

So trimming down my sub to just basic Voom and the Showtime package lowers my monthly bill but was it right to dump HBO or Cinemax? It appears HBO may have more Widescreen HD movies in their broadcast than Showtime does, anyone have any comments on this? I've only subscribed for 5 weeks now and thought some of you with longer subscribed times may enlighten me on which plus pack has more "widescreen HD" broadcast.

thanks,

nc2

After Deadwood and the Sopranos are done I'll be canceling HBO and signing up for Starz. I might just not get any and go with Netflix.

cyuhnke said:
After Deadwood and the Sopranos are done I'll be canceling HBO and signing up for Starz. I might just not get any and go with Netflix.
If we do that, do you know if Voom will prorate or billing so that the whole month is only $15 even though part is HBO and the other is Showtime? I could just call I guess but this is less painful :)

wasch 24:

Voom will prorate the billing. I orginally signed up for the standard package and I decided to upgrade to the VaVaVoom package about three weeks later and they prorate me on the following month for the package addition. I assume when you if you cancel it would work the same.

jimmykce1 said:
wasch 24:

Voom will prorate the billing. I orginally signed up for the standard package and I decided to upgrade to the VaVaVoom package about three weeks later and they prorate me on the following month for the package addition. I assume when you if you cancel it would work the same.
Thanks.......

for me the best choice would be Cinemax... only because I get the others (including Encore West and excluding the Movie Channel and both east and west Cinemax's) with my 4DTV reciever...

Info on Plus Pack Switching and Billing

Three days later and I've opted to switch my Plus Pack programming from Showtime to HBO. The CSR on the phone tells me about the charges that will be applied to my bill. The following numbers are slightly rounded to make it easier.

There will be a $1.50 charge for the Showtime I've had for 3 days. There will be a $15.00 charge for the HBO I will receive. And here's the bad part, there will be a $13.50 charge for the Showtime I've canceled and it will be turned off and you will not be allowed to view it even though there charging you for it. :mad:

Long story short. If I wait till my billing cycle ends and on that date call Voom and change my Plus Pack then you supposedly won't be charged for the remaining of a Plus Pack (that you can't watch). I was on the phone for about 30 min. trying to hash this out and came to the conclusion of waiting for my billing date. Just ask the CSR when you can change over on what date when it will be seamless without the extra charges.

I'd have to say Starz. It seems like they are always playing a movie in wodescreen, (most of it in HD btw). Sure some of it is upconverts, but they still look great *IMO*. Also Starz has the least artifacts/pixelation on VOOM. SO my choice would be Starz.

GeneWildershair said:
I'd have to say Starz. It seems like they are always playing a movie in wodescreen, (most of it in HD btw). Sure some of it is upconverts, but they still look great *IMO*. Also Starz has the least artifacts/pixelation on VOOM. SO my choice would be Starz.

Plus, Starz has LOTR, Black Hawk Down, and Bourne Identity. I don't have Starz, but am thinking of switching. They do a real job of converting these movies, correct?

cyuhnke said:
Plus, Starz has LOTR, Black Hawk Down, and Bourne Identity. I don't have Starz, but am thinking of switching. They do a real job of converting these movies, correct?

IMO, Starz has the best PQ as far as VOOM HD premium movie channels go. HBO is right there too, but I find HBO to be lacking in the movie department, and "Soprano's" just doesn't do it for me.

GeneWildershair said:
IMO, Starz has the best PQ as far as VOOM HD premium movie channels go. HBO is right there too, but I find HBO to be lacking in the movie department, and "Soprano's" just doesn't do it for me.

5 years ago HBO got the exclusive for EVERY movie of consequence. Now, they spend on original programming. How can a show add Steve Buscemi and get worse! It should be impossible, yet David Chase somehow managed it. How did the conversation go, I'll try to guess.

"Well, I've got a great cast. A legitimate excuse for violence and nudity in every episode. A storyline that includes a 400 lb. homosexual gangster. How can I screw this up? Eureka! I'll totally pretend the fat guy never had his head in that security guard's lap. I'll waste an entire episode on Meadow Sporano's boyfriend. Dr. Melfi will make an extended appearance in every episode, boring the audience to tears. Then, to really piss everyone off, I'll do an episode that runs 45 minutes and contains a 20 minute dream sequence. After all, in the history of television, every dream sequence has sucked. Damn, I'm good."

Wait, what is this thread about again? Anyway, had to get that off my chest. BTW, HBO clearly has also been a casualty in the AOL-TW deal.

How's the PQ on the Cinemax-HD feeds, and are they real HD or upconverts? OAR?

The reason I ask is because I was planning on selecting HBO, but just did a count of the films I'd be interested in seeing on both channels (hbo.com lists both lineups a month at a time), and was surprised to see that Cinemax had 50% more than HBO.

- Tim

VideoGrabber said:
How's the PQ on the Cinemax-HD feeds, and are they real HD or upconverts? OAR?

The reason I ask is because I was planning on selecting HBO, but just did a count of the films I'd be interested in seeing on both channels (hbo.com lists both lineups a month at a time), and was surprised to see that Cinemax had 50% more than HBO.

- Tim

Both HBO and Cinemax show the movies in same format. All of them are "True HD" unless is not specified. I have seen more OAR movies in Cinemax than HBO but not a great percentage. So expect to get the movies to be in the same format as HBO for the most part.

Sean Mota said:
Both HBO and Cinemax show the movies in same format. All of them are "True HD" unless is not specified. I have seen more OAR movies in Cinemax than HBO but not a great percentage. So expect to get the movies to be in the same format as HBO for the most part.

Sean speaks the truth here, but I have to add that Cinemax HD has a lot of artifacts/ pixelation during fast moving scenes. It's not so terrible that it is unwatchable, but it is *very* noticeable. Same thing goes for SHOWHD

> I have to add that Cinemax HD has a lot of artifacts/ pixelation during fast moving scenes. It's not so terrible that it is unwatchable, but it is *very* noticeable. Same thing goes for SHOWHD. <

Thanks a lot, Jay! This is really good info to have. More is better, but not at the cost of quality. I think what you're describing would bug me a lot, so I'll probably just let the HBO selection ride for now. I'm guessing (hoping) that eventually Voom will bring the PQ up on those HD channels that are currently less than optimal.

- Tim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts