Best setup to get fringe reception?

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I live in the New Orleans area and the local NBC is not broadcasting in HD. The one in Baton Rouge is but as far as I can tell I live about 65 miles away from the transmitter. I can get it on occasion but it is a weak signal and often I can not. I have the largest radio shack directional antenna and their strongest booster. Would better hardware do the trick or am I stuck?

add a 91xg to your current setup for uhf and use your rs for vhf and fm. it would be the best of both worlds. the 91xg will outperform the uhf portion of your current antenna. I combine a 91xg with my winegard hd8200p for the same reason. see avitar.

I suggested the 91 xg because it is easier to stack using a shorter mast while still keeping the proper distance between antennas. If you just want uhf, the cm4228 is very popular.

you may also want to replace your radio shack preamp with one of lower noise. please supply your zipcode to get a feel for which preamp would fit there best.

add a 91xg to your current setup for uhf and use your rs for vhf and fm. it would be the best of both worlds. the 91xg will outperform the uhf portion of your current antenna. I combine a 91xg with my winegard hd8200p for the same reason. see avitar.

I suggested the 91 xg because it is easier to stack using a shorter mast while still keeping the proper distance between antennas. If you just want uhf, the cm4228 is very popular.

you may also want to replace your radio shack preamp with one of lower noise. please supply your zipcode to get a feel for which preamp would fit there best.

Thanks for the info. The zip is 70448.

I would second the motion for a 91xg(my current antenna)and use a cm7777 amp too. Also I would suggest that you get the antenna as high as possible.Mine is approximately 50ft(on a tower) and I pick up stations 60 miles away.

thanks for the zip.

some of your vhf digitals are on high band vhf.

you can use your current antenna for vhf or use a winegard ya1713 or antennacraft y10 -13 ch 7-13 yagi.

like so.

http://home.indy.rr.com/challengerul/antenna.html

you can combine the 2 antennas with a dual input preamp like cm7778 or cm7777 preamp.

or combine the 2 antennas using a cm0549 vhf/uhf combiner and amplify with a single input amp like a winegard hdp269.

you are under 30 miles from the towers.

need more info to narrow down the preamp.

-length of run from antenna to distribution point
-number of splits and length of each run.

The nbc the op was trying to receive is 72 miles away which will probably be a stretch.But you never know till you try.I think his nbc is probably transmitting digital but not high def.

The nbc the op was trying to receive is 72 miles away which will probably be a stretch.But you never know till you try.I think his nbc is probably transmitting digital but not high def.

Thank you for the input. You would recommend that highly directional antenna over the multi-directional 8 bay antenna? I can get the Baton Rouge NBC station on occasion so I'm hoping a better antenna and amp might do the trick. My local NBC is not transmitting in HD.

Just checked the Fcc website to see what power wvla is transmitting at and if the site is correct and they are full power it says they are 1000kw. I am posting a link to their service contour map.You are probably in a fringe area though even at this power.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=DT497504.html

Thanks yea I'm right outside that blue line. With the directional antenna, if a tree or house is in the way even in the distance will it block the signal? My HOA will not allow an antenna that can be seen from the street so I can only go so high. Perhaps the big 8 bay antenna might be a better fit for me?

Thanks yea I'm right outside that blue line. With the directional antenna, if a tree or house is in the way even in the distance will it block the signal? My HOA will not allow an antenna that can be seen from the street so I can only go so high. Perhaps the big 8 bay antenna might be a better fit for me?

Just FYI, if you are in a property you own, your HOA cannot completely ban you from putting up an antenna that is visible from the street, if you need to put one up in order to receive the TV channels you want. And you can go as high as you want provided there are no CITY ordinances that prevent you doing so. Some cities require permits for the erection of tall masts.

Quote from the FCC regulations: "However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed where they are not visible from the street would be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay. For example, if installing an antenna in the rear of the house costs significantly more than installation on the side of the house, then such a requirement would be prohibited. If, however, installation in the rear of the house does not impose unreasonable expense or delay or preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal, then the restriction is permissible and the viewer must comply."

And the 8-bay antennas are not multidirectional, despite what the manufacturer says about the DB-8. The DB-8 and the CM4228 have a wider beamwidth than the 91XG but are still very directional. The CM4228 is probably a better antenna than the DB-8 for less money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts