Best Viable Option--Replacing 722k for two DVR's?

69sixpackbee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2010
So. Cal.
I currently have a 722k in my front room and I have added another HDTV in the kids' room so now I want HD in their room which previously was shared wit the 722k as #2 (SD). I was looking at a pair of 612's but Dish wants too much for HD fees p/mo, yada, yada. What is the best and most economical option in this case?

Currently I am on W.A. with a 1000.2 (119, 110, 129) and have just two receivers-a 222k and a 722k.
Thanx for the help,
Bud

Keep the 722k

I currently have a 722k in my front room and I have added another HDTV in the kids' room so now I want HD in their room which previously was shared wit the 722k as #2 (SD). I was looking at a pair of 612's but Dish wants too much for HD fees p/mo, yada, yada. What is the best and most economical option in this case?

Currently I am on W.A. with a 1000.2 (119, 110, 129) and have just two receivers-a 222k and a 722k.
Thanx for the help,
Bud

If you want to be able to use the ext HDD on both units then you will need the 612 since going to the 211k the EHDD will not go between the two and work. You should only be charged the extra DVR fee w/ the 612 since the fee for the 722k isn't charged as it is the 1st unit on your account. If you went to 2 211k's then you would not be able to record as many things as you can on the 722k.

Fair warning, the 612 does not have a good reliability reputation.

Thanx for the help,
Bud

Keep the 722, which costs $6 mo. (DVR fee). Put a 211k in the kids room for HD for $7.00 a month. Keep the TV2 from the 722 hooked to the kids TV and any other TV's for DVR from the 722, will still be SD of course. If you want to be able to record/watch recordings in HD in the kid's room put an external hard drive on the 211k to make it a DVR. Costs a one time $40 to activate but no monthly DVR charge, and this also extends the program guide on the 211k from 48 hours to 9 days.

Total monthly fees, 722 $6 (DVR fee), 211k $7.00. Up front costs should you need to record/view HD recording's on the 211k, $40 for 211k EHD activation plus whatever an external hard drive costs, probably around $60-80. You will not be able to transfer/watch HD recordings in HD between these receivers.

I currently have a 722k in my front room and I have added another HDTV in the kids' room so now I want HD in their room which previously was shared wit the 722k as #2 (SD). I was looking at a pair of 612's but...

There is an ambiguity here...

... you say "added another HDTV in the kids' room" which implies one DVR...

... and then you say " I was looking at a pair of 612's"... which implies two DVRs as does the title.

Are you saying you would get rid of the 722k ?

Note that if you replace a 722k with a 612, the monthly cost is the same, so there is no point to going to that trouble. This is because there is no charge for the first receiver on the account.

As mentioned above by others, the lowest monthly fee in the long run is to keep your 722k, and then get a 211k which supports one TV with HD, and adds DVR functions for no extra monthly cost with a one-time activation fee of $40 and the cost of a USB external hard drive (if you ever return the 211k, you can still keep the hard drive and use it for your PC, etc.).

Looks like the 211k it is!
I guess I'll pull "sat2" line off of the back of the 722k and just put the 211k on the RG6 coming into the kids' room and put it on the 211k. I have a Western Digital 500G EHD that I will try to use with the 211k once I pay the $39.00 to see if it works.
Thanx again for the help!

Bud

I guess I'll pull "sat2" line off of the back of the 722k and just put the 211k on the RG6 coming into the kids' room and put it on the 211k.

Bud

WHOA NELLIE!!!!
You can't redirect sat 2 line to 222, you'll lose a tuner on the 722K. You will need a line from the Sat.

Thanx for the help,
Bud

Well I'm sorry I think kids are spoiled today so I would just keep the 722k unplug the cable from their old TV,hookup the same cable to the new HDTV and say"There you go Kids"!.:eek::D

Unless you put in over a 40" HDTV in their bedroom then I might do it different and if you did........will you adopt me?.;):D

WHOA NELLIE!!!!
You can't redirect sat 2 line to 222, you'll lose a tuner on the 722K. You will need a line from the Sat.

Oops :(

So I have to pull the RG6 down from the LNBF specifically for the 211k?

I **think** I have two down now for both of my existing receivers and there should be a third and unused connection on the LNBF since there is one for each 110, 119 & 129 and the "switching" is built in, right?

..still learning :)
Thanx for the great advice!

Oops :(

So I have to pull the RG6 down from the LNBF specifically for the 211k?

I **think** I have two down now for both of my existing receivers and there should be a third and unused connection on the LNBF since there is one for each 110, 119 & 129 and the "switching" is built in, right?

..still learning :)
Thanx for the great advice!
This is a question you should probably call a local retailer about. What other receiver besides a 722K do you have?

T What other receiver besides a 722K do you have?

I currently have, on my acct., one 722K that is HD in the front room and sd on my old CRT set in the shop. I have a 222K in the master bedroom that currently shares the kids' room. We upgraded the Sony Bravia set in our room and handed down the 26" Sony now to the kids. I also have a 211K that I use in the RV (non DVR) and this one I will turn on and off for the vacation season. I had contemplated using that 211K for them but I would rather have a dedicated box for them so that I don't have to take it out and set it up back and forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts