Best Way in Washington State

SirChaos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Marysville, WA
Hey Everyone,

I live in Washington State (about 100 miles from Vancouver, BC) and I am looking to add some "Curling" to my TV watching. :)

I am wondering what the easiest way would be to get service here:

- I have a friend that lives in Vancouver Island that will let me use his address.
(So I don't need a broker)

So, is there a place in BC where I can purchase some Sat Equipment and bring it back, install it myself, and then activate it? I want to get a HD setup.

Or, am I missing something or a hoop that I need to jump through to make this happen.

Any suggestions or hints would be great.

Thanks!

SirChaos

which system?

Bell if I remember, requires your information if you go to a big box store
Shaw (Starchocie) doesn't require any info but they don't have the dishes there. The installer normally brings them. So you would need to get the 75e dish for HD

kusat.com has them available separatelly or if you have access to a couple 30" dishes you could do it yourself

which system?

Bell if I remember, requires your information if you go to a big box store
Shaw (Starchocie) doesn't require any info but they don't have the dishes there. The installer normally brings them. So you would need to get the 75e dish for HD

kusat.com has them available separatelly or if you have access to a couple 30" dishes you could do it yourself

I am really flexible on the system type....as most of what I want to watch would be available on the standard packages. I have no preference from Shaw or Bell.

So, it looks like I would have to purchase my items online from KUSAT.com, then use my friends information to activate?

I would love to just drive up and get equipment, but there is no outlet for that in the local BC area? :(

Thanks for the help! Much Appreciated!

Bell uses Dish network dishes and LNB's so if you have a surplus D500 laying around you could use that. Otherwise Bell might have the dish with the receiver and ther big box store

now that I think about it, just go buy a Bell receiver and give them your buddy's addy. That should work (but dont quote me on it)

So, it looks like I would have to purchase my items online from KUSAT.com, then use my friends information to activate?
that is another option

Bell uses Dish network dishes and LNB's so if you have a surplus D500 laying around you could use that. Otherwise Bell might have the dish with the receiver and ther big box store

now that I think about it, just go buy a Bell receiver and give them your buddy's addy. That should work (but dont quote me on it)

that is another option

That would work as long as they don't ask for ID... :)

Since I'm heading up to Canada this week, I will give that a shot. If that does not work, I will try the KUSAT.

Thanks!

seriously, the best way to go from the US is Shaw Direct. Iceberg (and some of the others) can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, Bell has suspended accounts of people who access online from IP addresses outside Canada.

Anyway, if you are going to Canada, just buy the receiver there; you can get it new from any bigbox store (ie, bst buy, future shop) Give your friend's address, say you already have a dish and don't need an installer. As far as finding a dish, you can check Craigslist, or the yellow pages for satellite installers in Vancouver. Other options include Kusat as Iceberg mentioned. I recently bought a new refurb 505 from a satellite dealer/installer in Edmonton. He shipped it to Wisconsin with no problem, and I got it activated very easily. I've seen his website, he does have dishes. PM me if you would like their info.

When you install, feel free to ask questions here. People here are VERY knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck!

I have what you need, sirchaos! =P

good morning, sirchaos! happy thursday to you, buddy. Since you're interested in bell expressvu, i have deep experience with this system. please PM me back via private message to further talk about it. I live not too far away from you. (southcenter mall) andover park west

seriously, the best way to go from the US is Shaw Direct. Iceberg (and some of the others) can correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, Bell has suspended accounts of people who access online from IP addresses outside Canada.
Is that true?? I know not to call BEV on the phone but I never heard that doing stuff online was dangerous.

bell online access

bell's online account management has been a blessing for me and other users. I'm able upgrade/replace hardware & channels with a few clicks. I've never gotten any backlash from using it. smart people would use a secure proxy server to shield their usa IP from belltv. iceberg is right, never plug landline into the boxes or else they're gonna phone home. =)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info frenchphile and comcast. I used the online to order the free Olympics ppv and so far so good...

Sirchaos, i think in Wash. it wouldnt matter. Here in Calif. if we ever want HD we'll have to swtich to Shaw unless Bell changes before that because the satelite they have HD on doesnt get to Calif. or a lot of the country. But you'll be close to Canada so it won't matter I think. So i would say just look at the diff. pkgs. and see what looks best for you. Good luck!

Also from Washington state and also interested.

good morning, sirchaos! happy thursday to you, buddy. Since you're interested in bell expressvu, i have deep experience with this system. please PM me back via private message to further talk about it. I live not too far away from you. (southcenter mall) andover park west

It has been so long since I posted herein, I had to re-register. Will P.M. you after I've had three posts. Your post is interesting.

Lion

So I've been thinking about Canadian HDTV for a couple years. Like hockey etc. Just tend to prefer dealing with local folks.

I'm in S.E. Seattle. Will pm the "comcast" poster from Southcenter area now.

Lion

glad to hear you like canadian HDTV.

I'm using dishpro 1000.2 triple lnb catching nimiq 82 & nimiq 91. signal is at 90% during cloudy days and 99% on sunny days in southcenter region. I've been with BEv since 2004, so far so good. Leo, please call my fone number listed in your inbox so I can walk you through. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)