Best way to get 942 and Voom?

Sterling

Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
Hi all
I'm a long time lurker (Voom forums), 1st time poster.
I was a Dish Network customer until a year ago last April. I moved and signed up with Comcast in Sacramento. Would have stayed with Dish if they had gotten their act together on the 921. I am hoping I can sign up again as a new customer (new address, phone number, and new credit card if necessary) in September (my Comcast bill is going up by over $50/mo when my discounts expire!). As far as I can tell the best way for me to do this is to sign up for the $19.99 DHA plus the HD pack and the $250 942 lease, then add Voom later. I live in an area that requires 2 dishes to get all of the locals so I'm hoping to re-point my 2nd dish for Voom. I only need service to 2 rooms (1 HDTV, 1 SDTV) so I'm planning to just get the 942. I will be moving again in a year or two but should still be able to receive the satellites there (Voom and HD OTA is questionable, it's out of town and there may be trees and mountains in the way of a low satellite). I know Dish is planning to go MPEG4 in the future but hopefully they will be offering some deal to existing customers.
Is this the best way to go and who has the best deals?

PS I still have a dishpro dual LNB dish, a dishpro single LNB dish, a DP 34, and a PVR 508 left over from my original subscription if all else fails, just don't wan't to go through the hassle of installing them if I don't have to. Also, how long should I wait to sign up for Voom?

Sterling

There is a new option for SSN. I can't remember exactly, but for $50, E* either doesn't need a SSN or only needs the last four digits. If the latter is the case, I don't know if E* would put two and two together (identical name and last four digits of SSN) and deny new subscriber offers.

E* is allowing former customers that left in good standing (didn't owe anything) to return under the DHA program - with a committment of 24 months. That may drop to 18 months in the very near future.

Contact your friendly neighborhood reputable local retailer for more help. :)

Simon, thanks for the reply

The more I look into it it seems that a 2 year DHA commitment is worth it since it includes one free dishmover. So, is my plan to re-aim the 2nd local dish for Voom feasible?
Sterling

Sterling said:
The more I look into it it seems that a 2 year DHA commitment is worth it since it includes one free dishmover. So, is my plan to re-aim the 2nd local dish for Voom feasible?
Sterling
I can't say if it's feasible - because I don't know where you are.

However, as has been posted MANY times, and as noted in the index sticky, a wing dish pointed at 148 is the same hardware as for 61.5, so swinging it is possible.

SimpleSimon said:
E* is allowing former customers that left in good standing (didn't owe anything) to return under the DHA program - with a committment of 24 months. That may drop to 18 months in the very near future.

Contact your friendly neighborhood reputable local retailer for more help. :)

I just paid an outstanding bill from about 3 years ago, and E* was going to start me over as a new customer with all the perks, but I opted to use my old receiver instead (I couldn't stand to watch paid programming 1 more night :eek: )

Being a former Voomer and having locals on 61.5, they are going to come out and exchange the old LNB's for new ones and hook it all up for no charge, but I have to pay $50 for the HD receiver. :D

Also they did not mention to me that I had to commit for any specific amount of time, so we will see what happens on that! :smug

(Did I mention flirting with the nice csr and making her laugh might have helped in the whole process ;) - went through a few foreigners before finally getting the american beauty :shocked )

Not that there is anything wrong with foreigners- just not being able to comunicate with each other is the hard part!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)