Best way to get DTV-HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TonyL05

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Kansas City, MO
I am currently a Comcast subscriber and very frustrated with the analog picture quality on my Mitsubishi 62525 and lack of FOXHD(especially with the Superbowl coming soon). I live in Grain Valley, MO(64029), just outside of Kansas City, and have tried several OTA'a with no luck picking up FOXHD. I have been told the FOX signal is just too weak. So, I am considering DTV since I have been told by the HDTV elgibility people that I qualify for the FOXHD feed out of New York. But, I am not sure of the best way to go...
I only need 2 receivers, 1 HD, 1 non-HD.

Here's my question:

1. Do I use the current deals out there and get a two non-HD receiver system(instead of 4) installed and then upgrade to HD when Value Electronics gets the new D10 box in a couple weeks?

2. Sign up for HD programming from DTV right away? It seems as though there aren't really any deals to do this, except for possibly 3 months free HD programming. But wouldn't I get that to upgrade anyway?

I appreciate any insight and really have enjoyed reading the posts on this site since I started reading the past few weeks. I hope all the information I provided can help, especially if there is other options someone may know about to help. Immediate need is getting FOXHD for the Superbowl!

THX

Call D* directly to find out about your eligibility before you do anything, then call Value Electronics and mention you are a member here for a discount. DO NOT get the Samsung 360 receiver. Make sure they all are aware you want to be setup by the superbowl.

which # do i call D*? I called 888-238-7177 and got 2 different answers:

1 saying I need an OTA to get FOXHD(and I can't find an OTA that works for me)
1 that gave me the number to the HD elgibility dept., who said I do qualify for the feed out of NY

So...as you can see...I am a bit confused as to what to believe out of D* in the Kansas City area.

Thanks again for the help in advance!

Go with the # for HD and get a name and ID#. Then get your system installed and running via you preferred method (no Samy360) and then call HD back to talk to whomever, and get your HD turned on if it isn't already.

Dazed and Confused...

Okay...so I called the D* HD elgibility number(800 263 0028) and a lady named Tammy told me that until I have an active account, she could not tell me if I am able to get FOXHD??? How am I to make an educated decision about switching to D*(decision heavily weighed on getting FOXHD) if I can't get a straight answer as to whether or not I will get FOXHD. She thinks that I could sign-up so a pending account would be created and then check if I qualified for FOXHD. If I didn't qualify, then I could cancel the pending account and possibly only lose the shipping and handling charges D* would hit me with. This makes no sense to me.

Anything else I can try? :confused:

Well I'm not familier with Missouri so I don't know where Grain Valley is, but I do know that the Kansas City Fox stations is O&O by FOX, so if you live in the Kansas City TV market you will qualify for the HD network feed of FOX from DirecTV. That being said, if you are close to another FOX affiliate and they also claim you in their market, that could prevent you from qualifying. Here is a list of all FOX affiliates in your state. Are any of these close to you?

Missouri

KBSI-TV/FOX 23 Paducah, KY
806 Enterprise St.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
(V)573-334-1223
(F)573-334-1208

WDAF-TV/FOX 4 Kansas City, MO
Signal Hill
3030 Summit Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
(V)816-753-4567
(F)816-931-3984

KTVI-TV/FOX 2 St. Louis, MO
5915 Berthold Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
(V)314-647-2222
(F)314-644-7419

KQFX-TV/FOX 11 Columbia-Jefferson City, MO
501 Business Loop
70 East
Columbia, MO 65201
(V)573-449-0917
(F)573-875-7089

KSFX-TV/FOX 27 Springfield, MO
2650 East Division
Springfield, MO 65803
(V)417-862-2727
(F)417-831-4209

KFJX-TV / Channel 14 - Joplin, MO
2950 Hwy 69 NE
PO BOX 659
Pittsburg, KS 66762
417-624-0233 - Station
417-206-4081 - Fax

WDAF-TV/FOX 4 Kansas City, MO is the closest. When I type in my address into antennaweg.org, this is the only FOX affiliate brought up and they say I am approx. 21 mi. from the station. The odd thing is that antennaweb.org does not say that FOX offers a digital signal when I know they do. Although if you type in an address much closer to KC, then the digital channel does appear on their site. I only live 20 miles outside of KC.

The next closest FOX affiliate is KQFX-TV/FOX 11 Columbia-Jefferson City, MO at 109 miles away.

Based on this, I think I should be eligible for the FOXHD feed out of NY, but just want to be sure and haven't got a straight answer out of D*.

I really appreciate the help!

I just quickly looked at a map, and it seems like you really are just outside of Kansas City. I'm fairly confident that you would qualify for the FOX feed. I'd find it hard to believe if one of those other affiliates could claim you in their market if you're right outside of KC. I live in southern NH, about 50 miles north of Boston and I qualified for both FOX and CBS feeds because those Boston stations are O&O. (Just got it activated yesterday)

Of course I can't guarentee you'll be all set!

THX

That gives me a bit more confidence. I guess at some point you just need to take a leap of faith. :) I guess in the end my local analog pictures "should" look much better than they do today. With Comcast, the digital channels that come in look great, so I can only hope the same happens to the digital locals I would get from D*.

TonyL05 said:
THX

I guess in the end my local analog pictures "should" look much better than they do today. With Comcast, the digital channels that come in look great, so I can only hope the same happens to the digital locals I would get from D*.

Just to be clear, I don't think you'd qualify for CBS, ABC, or NBC HD.

I also wouldn't put too much faith in your locals looking great. DirecTV does use compression on their channels and I'm not particularly impressed with my standard definition channels on my HDTV. (My other standard def TV's in the house look fine)

You are correct in that I don't qualify for CBS, NBC and ABC today(although Comcast offers this). I will need an OTA, but I haven't had too much of an issue finding those signals with the OTA's I have used. I just couldn't find FOX.

As far as the locals looking better, I think I'll just have to take my chances. I have a friend here locally who has E* and we have the same TV. His picture quality is a whole lot better than I have. I have had 4 service guys come out and do everything possible to get the picture quality better with no luck. Doesn't E* and D* use the same compression methods for locals?

yes they both use mpg2 but e* as said they will not add any new hd for 1 year and they do not have fox-hd.

I heard that as well. My friend is also looking to switch to D* from E* since their story for HD has been poor to this point. He hasn't been able to get very good answers from them at all.

So in general, should I just order the HD right away or get a standard install and then upgrade to HD? BB suggested I do a standard install to take advantage of rebates, but would I only be getting a standard dish, or one that works for HD as well?

Tony,

After send 2 emails to D* and getting 2 different answers, I sent a lengthy 3rd message explaining how the information they provide will be key in me spending 4g's to upgrade to HD. I asked someone to take some time and give me accurate detailed information. I also attached the 1st 2 responses.

It took 3 days for a response, but it was worth the wait. I got an email message that blew the 1st 2 away.

Maybe you could take this route.

BTW, I would definitely go for the 3 or 4 room standard hookup for free, then upgrade. There is not alot out there for discounted HD. I was lucky to get the HD dish for $50 and installation for $50 from CC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts