Best/Worst subchannel in your market

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Lets have a little fun :)

Thinking about the subchannels in your market (or if you can get a neighboring market too)

1. What is the best subchannel that has been added to your market in the last year?
2. What is the best subchannel swap in your market (where one subchannel got changed out for another)
3. What subchannel swap has you scratching your head thinking "what the heck are they thinking" (in other words......the worst subchannel swap)

And what subchannel do you seem to watch alot of? :)

Minneapolis market
1. Best channel added in last year was MeTV
2. Best channel swap was ThisTV to AntennaTV (kinda a technicality....they added AntennaTV and moved ThisTV to a new subchannel but its a swap)
3. The only one I can really come up with is when our local ABC switched from the "rewind" channel (where they showed old newscasts and other shows) to Live Well. After a couple days of seeing Live Well I wish they'd go back to the rewind channel.

Minneapolis is a hard market for the questions because other than the local ABC station and the Independent station (both owned by Hubbard) and CW (owned by Sinclair) subchannels are hard to come by. CBS, Fox, and My are O&O so no subchannels and NBC has a weather thing. CW has had Country Network and theCoolTV on for 2+ years now

SO I guess the ones I watch are Country during the day and AntennaTV at night :)

I have another market but that one there is no answers to.....Mankato, MN is a CBS main/Fox subchannel and has been since 7/1/07 ;)

1. What is the best subchannel that has been added to your market in the last year?
MeTv added yesterday

2. What is the best subchannel swap in your market (where one subchannel got changed out for another)
Cool Tv dropped for MeTv yesterday

3. What subchannel swap has you scratching your head thinking "what the heck are they thinking" (in other words......the worst subchannel swap)
Don't really have one. NBC affiliate dropped weather for Live Well and MyNet made kind of a lateral move going from Untamed Sports to The Country Net. Viewership remained the same but a different demo for that move. I guess it would be Griffin moving ThisTv to sister CW subchannel so they could run a 24hr newcast loop on the CBS subchannel.

And what subchannel do you seem to watch alot of?
Just got MeTv yesterday, so I have been sampling it. I used to watch Rtv before it went downhill last year and I do watch movies on ThisTv when they have Hope/Crosby or Abbott/Costello type marathons.

1.)MeTV and ThisTV.

2.)NBC WeatherPlus (RIP) to ThisTV.

3.)None in my market. But in nearby Charlotte, NC WBTV dumped ThisTV on 3.2 and moving Bounce from 3.3 to 3.2 earlier this year.

4.)I've watched MeTV when I watch reruns of "Love, American Style", "Cannon", "That Girl", and "Family Affair." ThisTV for Patty Duke reruns sometimes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The best new addition
Tuff
Best swap
Some religious channel to the Cool
Worst channel swap
Not really a swap but for whatever reason Thistv was dropped

Most watched.
Tuff,Antenna,ME

I'm split between Baltimore/Washington, but most of the subchannels I watch are Washington.

1. Best addition: AntennaTV (50.3)
2. Best swap: Weather radar out, Bounce TV in! (9.2)
3. Worst swap: RTN out, Live Well Network in. (7.3)
4. Watch: AntennaTV (50.3), CoolTV (54.2), BounceTV (9.2), and ThisTV (50.2) - in that order.

Watch significantly more AntennaTV than any other subchannel (WKRP, Threes Company, etc). Used to watch RTN back in the A-Team/Hulk days, but that was a while ago...

Wish we had MeTV, but I don't see it coming soon. MundoFox is coming to 5.2, but I don't care...

In DC it might be a tossup for worst between WWDT which has four subchannels but only has programming 0n -2 and WDCA 20-2 which currently rebroadcasts the Co owned Fox channel 5.1 (but will eventually give way to something caed MundoFox) interestingly WDCA seems to be using two 720p channels.

Not much here in the fort wayne area and south bend area to.

Best one to be picked up antenna tv best one out there period they changed it from the cool tv to antenna tv.

Me tv on weekends on WFFT channel 55 IND tv station. Also why do they just show METV on the weekends not a full time basis? SB2 on channel 22.2 is not that bad.

Worst change in the South bend area is the living well channel has to be the most boring channel out there. Other than that nothing else.

Dan Rose

Not much here in the fort wayne area and south bend area to.

Best one to be picked up antenna tv best one out there period they changed it from the cool tv to antenna tv.

Me tv on weekends on WFFT channel 55 IND tv station. Also why do they just show METV on the weekends not a full time basis? SB2 on channel 22.2 is not that bad.

Worst change in the South bend area is the living well channel has to be the most boring channel out there. Other than that nothing else.

Dan Rose

MeTV is shown part time here,if you can even call it part time. i get MeTV 3 hrs a day monday-friday and from 12pm to 6pm on saturdays and sundays if there are no sports on. My local that carries it brings up that they need to upgrade equipment to have MeTV fulltime. i think they have the bandwidth to add it and i have discussed this with iceberg. i think WBBJ is just being cheap.lol

Also why do they just show METV on the weekends not a full time basis?
looking at the listings for that channel looks like they basically show the syndicated judge/trash talk/gossip type shows and the "bigger" syndicated shows (HIMYM, men, office, big bang).....weekends most of those shows arent on (except for the last 3) so they have to fill it with something

I dont get that channel at all. Its the same stuff repeated 3 times daily. But I guess some people must think its a great channel.

wkomorow said:
Worst sub-channel - wbyn 14.8 has the Martinis in the morning network on 14.8. Beat that!
You probably also get the award for worst overall PQ, with a local station having eight (or more?) subchannels squeezed into the bandwidth needed for one good HD channel. I am assuming if there's a 14.8 then there are also 14.1 through 14.7.

Pepper said:
You probably also get the award for worst overall PQ, with a local station having eight (or more?) subchannels. I am assuming if there's a 14.8 then there are also 14.1 through 14.7.

Too low powered and far away for me to get, but others on local boards report it is now in service.

http://www.windhammountain.com/destination-guide/wybn-tv-14/

8 try 10. But several are music channels. It is a low powered station that claims it serves 800 k viewers

looks like 4 video and 6 audio per rabbitears
actually 5 video (1 for guide)

hey some of those stations like that cram 10-12 480i channels on a transponder
WANN Atlanta has 10 video and 10 audio
KAXT San Fran (which maps to 1-X ) has 12 video and 4 audio

You probably also get the award for worst overall PQ, with a local station having eight (or more?) subchannels squeezed into the bandwidth needed for one good HD channel. I am assuming if there's a 14.8 then there are also 14.1 through 14.7.

Local cable system carries the first 4 channels and the picture is not too bad but the audio is horrible. The station has to be on autopilot because the ads frequently have glitches that no one fixes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts