Better overall for online play? XBox360 or PS3

you don't have to pay $50 per year for the psn.

Yet. And PS3s fail too, YMMV. Citing a 360s failure rate as a reason to stay away is a fanboy argument, as those times are well past us all unless you buy a used or refurb off ebay or something.

PSN monthly fees are coming, they're still just figuring out how much they can pile on so that people will actually pay for it without taking away the only thing everyone is willing to pay for - online play.

Also, cards can be had regularly at Amazon for $35 and sometimes less... if $2-3/mo is an issue for a gamer for (as the thread has shown) a generally better experience then they have bigger problems.

In the end, whichever most of your friends have, is the best option.

The Xbox Live service offers so much more than the PSN network. Oh by the way how is that cd drive going to hold up on the PS3 if they don't let you download a Netflix app.

Oh by the way how is that cd drive going to hold up on the PS3 if they don't let you download a Netflix app.

You're not serious about that, are you? How is this any different than playing a game or watching a Blu-ray movie? If anything, it probably uses the drive less than those things - just to load the app, and then let it run.

Besides, I think a hard drive based version will not be too far off.

You're not serious about that, are you? How is this any different than playing a game or watching a Blu-ray movie? If anything, it probably uses the drive less than those things - just to load the app, and then let it run.

Besides, I think a hard drive based version will not be too far off.

According to what my friends that have PS3's told me. The drive is continuously going the whole time you are watching something. I have also heard that if they do have an app to download you will have to pay for that service.

According to what my friends that have PS3's told me. The drive is continuously going the whole time you are watching something.
I didn't noticed that...of course, I mostly use the Netflix app on the TivoHD since it's more convenient for us to use. I have absolute zero complaints about PS3 gameplay or the Playstation Network...and I don't see Sony charging for online gaming access in the future. Offhand, I am still waiting for Sony to release a TV-tuner/DVR option for the PS3 here in the US. :)

According to what my friends that have PS3's told me. The drive is continuously going the whole time you are watching something. I have also heard that if they do have an app to download you will have to pay for that service.

Even if that were true, the drive is going the whole time you're watching a Blu-Ray, and probably most of the time you're playing a game, right? Still not sure what the difference is...

The paying part wouldn't surprise me. What I'm hearing is that Sony will keep the core components (PSN store, online play) free, but add some kind of premium tier that will have extra features, maybe early access to stuff, etc (kind of what Qore does today, and more maybe?), and I could see Netflix being a part of that, although I'm not sure they'd really be able to get people to pay for something they can do for free, unless they remove support for the disc-based access at the same time....

+1. If you're watching so much Netflix on your PS3 that the spinning disc wearing out your optical drive becomes an issue, you probably should've bought a Netflix-BD player or Roku instead of a gaming console.

Yet. And PS3s fail too, YMMV. Citing a 360s failure rate as a reason to stay away is a fanboy argument, as those times are well past us all unless you buy a used or refurb off ebay or something.

PSN monthly fees are coming, they're still just figuring out how much they can pile on so that people will actually pay for it without taking away the only thing everyone is willing to pay for - online play.

Also, cards can be had regularly at Amazon for $35 and sometimes less... if $2-3/mo is an issue for a gamer for (as the thread has shown) a generally better experience then they have bigger problems.

In the end, whichever most of your friends have, is the best option.

Yeah, I'm A big fanboy here. I don't own a PS3, I own the 360. (Although its somewhere in Texas right now, being repaired for the second time) Don't be so sure about the hardware problems going away for MS. Just look around on the internet, and you will find plenty of people having problems with the newer consoles. They built a crappy peice of hardware, and that is pretty much the bottom line. The flaw is in the design. It just can't disperse enough of the heat.
In my opinion, if buying a console right now, I would choose the PS3. The game selection is getting better, and the hardware is much more stable. I know the PS3 has some reports of hardware failure, but that happens with all electronics. Just not at the extreme rate 360's crap out. The extended warranty on the rrod is great, but after 3 years your out of luck, and chances are it is going to happen eventually.
How about the quality DVD drives that are in the 360. When I fire that baby up, my wife usually ducks, because she thinks there is an appache helicopter flying over the house. Very high failure rates on the drive. Really though, the 360 is the loudest piece of electronics that I have ever owned.
In all honesty though, I have had lots of fun with it. It is a great console with lots of great games. Just a real crappy build quality.
I need a bigger hard drive, as I only have the 20 gig, and I refuse to pay the prices MS is asking to for a new hard drive. Between the HD, another year of live, plus the $80 or so that Gamestop will be giving me for the trade. I can justify the cost of the PS3, and then I don't need to buy any accesories for it. Comes ready for wireless internet, rechargable controller, and free PSN.

Yeah, I'm A big fanboy here. I don't own a PS3, I own the 360. (Although its somewhere in Texas right now, being repaired for the second time) Don't be so sure about the hardware problems going away for MS. Just look around on the internet, and you will find plenty of people having problems with the newer consoles. They built a crappy peice of hardware, and that is pretty much the bottom line. The flaw is in the design. It just can't disperse enough of the heat.
In my opinion, if buying a console right now, I would choose the PS3. The game selection is getting better, and the hardware is much more stable. I know the PS3 has some reports of hardware failure, but that happens with all electronics. Just not at the extreme rate 360's crap out. The extended warranty on the rrod is great, but after 3 years your out of luck, and chances are it is going to happen eventually.
How about the quality DVD drives that are in the 360. When I fire that baby up, my wife usually ducks, because she thinks there is an appache helicopter flying over the house. Very high failure rates on the drive. Really though, the 360 is the loudest piece of electronics that I have ever owned.
In all honesty though, I have had lots of fun with it. It is a great console with lots of great games. Just a real crappy build quality.
I need a bigger hard drive, as I only have the 20 gig, and I refuse to pay the prices MS is asking to for a new hard drive. Between the HD, another year of live, plus the $80 or so that Gamestop will be giving me for the trade. I can justify the cost of the PS3, and then I don't need to buy any accesories for it. Comes ready for wireless internet, rechargable controller, and free PSN.
So true great post:up

--Thanks for all the great posts, guys. Ultimately, it came down to what store had what gaming console available, as I've heard just about as many horror stories about problems with the 360 as I have the PS3 (though, I expect lemons in every bunch). We chose the PS3. So far, the only games we've purchased are Need for Speed Shift and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Great games. We have not tried to play PS2 games on it yet, but the new console we bought will indeed play PS1 games (just got through playing Gran Turismo 1 and Twisted Metal 2.) In the future, we will try to play PS2 games on it, but whether or not they will play has yet to be seen. If indeed this PS3 is not enough for us, we will probably buy the 360 this summer, depending on what games are available for it. Nonetheless, we are happy with the PS3. Easy to set up on the internet, too. Luckily, my wife has a Nintendo Wii, so we get to play Mario Kart with her family, so that is fun.

--Thanks for all the great posts, guys. Ultimately, it came down to what store had what gaming console available, as I've heard just about as many horror stories about problems with the 360 as I have the PS3 (though, I expect lemons in every bunch). We chose the PS3. So far, the only games we've purchased are Need for Speed Shift and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Great games. We have not tried to play PS2 games on it yet, but the new console we bought will indeed play PS1 games (just got through playing Gran Turismo 1 and Twisted Metal 2.) In the future, we will try to play PS2 games on it, but whether or not they will play has yet to be seen. If indeed this PS3 is not enough for us, we will probably buy the 360 this summer, depending on what games are available for it. Nonetheless, we are happy with the PS3. Easy to set up on the internet, too. Luckily, my wife has a Nintendo Wii, so we get to play Mario Kart with her family, so that is fun.
Great!:up Hope you have fun with the console! Thank you for letting us know what you decided!

In the future, we will try to play PS2 games on it, but whether or not they will play has yet to be seen.
Unless you found an old school "Fat" 80GB PS3 then no, you won't be able to play PS2 games, and Sony has been adamant about not adding that support to the PS3 Slim..

At some point in the future you'll probably be able to re-buy many popuar PS2 games either on disc like they just did with God of War, or via PSN. Who knows though, they said they're going to stop putting Blu-Ray releases on the PSN because of how big they are and due to retailer concerns (I'll let you pick which of those 2 reasons is BS).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts