Better overall for online play? XBox360 or PS3

kraftwerk76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Hi, all. We are thinking of buying either a 360 or PS3, and the deciding factor will be what has more games available for online play. So, for those folks out there that have both of these consoles, and play them online, what is better? Thanks for your help. I'm kind of new to these new game systems.

360 has more games and more players. However, that can also translate to more a**holes. It also costs money to play online. In addition, the 360 is not wireless internet compatible out of the box. So expect to add at least $100 (unless you can get a special deal) to your Xbox 360 price if you want to play online. Since Microsoft runs it though it is very streamlined and better contained than the PS3 online world.

PS3 is free for online play and has a built in wireless card. They also use bluetooth for their headsets so you can use the same thing that you would use for your phone, as opposed to 360's quasi-headphone style system.

All that said, you're probably better off going the 360 route. Unless money is a big issue, the 360 pretty much delivers a superior online experience, as long as you keep the "MUTE" button close by..

360 has more games and more players. However, that can also translate to more a**holes. It also costs money to play online. In addition, the 360 is not wireless internet compatible out of the box. So expect to add at least $100 (unless you can get a special deal) to your Xbox 360 price if you want to play online. Since Microsoft runs it though it is very streamlined and better contained than the PS3 online world.

PS3 is free for online play and has a built in wireless card. They also use bluetooth for their headsets so you can use the same thing that you would use for your phone, as opposed to 360's quasi-headphone style system.

All that said, you're probably better off going the 360 route. Unless money is a big issue, the 360 pretty much delivers a superior online experience, as long as you keep the "MUTE" button close by..

Don't forget about the party chat on the 360. Great way to get avoid the A-holes. I had both before selling my PS3 a week ago. 360 is the way to go, if you 're just interested in gaming.

all statements here are correct except for one, you dont NEED a wireless adapter to play online, if there is a way you can get a ethernet connection the to the xbox then you are good...other then that 360 would be the way to go.

Don't limit yourself they are both very fun to play! If you can only get one then choose the one that your friends have. Or the one that have specific games that you love and have to have!:up

It doesn't matter...just depends on the games you play and where your friends and family hang-out. The PS3 has slighly less annoying kids and it's free, but that appears to be changing in the future as the Playstation Network will be charging for "premium" services. As far as gaming goes...it's a toss up between the two systems, however the PS3 is a superior multi-media machine (BD), which is why we're a PS3 family. My 74-year old mother will absolutely crush anyone at Tiger Woods 10.

As they said, it comes down to the games. If all you care about is multi-platform games and don't mind spending the extra fees for online play, you'll probably find a bigger community on the 360.

If you have friends that you will play with that are on one system or the other or have a preference for either console's exclusive games (it would seem the playing field is tilting in the PS3's favor the last six months or so, although I'm sure I'll get some disagreement on that), go that way.

If you want blu-ray, get a PS3.

It's really about personal preference - figure out what yours is and go that way. Anyone who says one is hands-down better than the other is trying to convince you that their preference is worth more than yours.

Great info, guys. I am really leaning towards the 360, but I think she would prefer the PS3, because she can still play PS2 games on it. Thanks.

Great info, guys. I am really leaning towards the 360, but I think she would prefer the PS3, because she can still play PS2 games on it. Thanks.
Uhhh... unless you go on eBay and get a discontinued 60GB or 80GB machine, no you cannot play old PS2 games on a PS3.

Get her a Wii, get yourself a 360 ;) All kidding aside the 360 has a better saturation of the market for players. Look at the types of game you play too. Shooters would go to the 360 - Sports games lean to the PS3. Overall 360 is the way to go for quantity of players

Sony Japan intros PS3 DVR, digital tuner

Full Article

I just wanted to point-out that Sony just intoduced the PS3 DVR add-on over in Japan. These boxes are so-much-more than just a game console.

New "Torne" add-on to launch in March alongside 250GB model of console, recorded programs transferrable to PSP.

Sony's recent PlayStation 3 marketing campaign has revolved around the slogan, "It only does everything." Starting in March, "everything" will include being a TiVo-style digital video recorder--in Japan, anyway.

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan today introduced Torne, an external digital terrestrial tuner for the PS3. Set to launch in March, Torne will sell for ¥9,980 ($110) and allow users to watch and record TV broadcasts.

It will also allow users to schedule recordings, and it can record those programs in the background even if the system is doing something else, like playing a DVD or a PS3 game. (However, background recording is not possible while players are using older PS3s to play PlayStation 2 games.) Other features include support for closed captioning, multiple languages, and program guide navigation with a standard PS3 controller or Sony's official Blu-ray remote.

The Torne's usefulness extends to the PSP as well. Once programs have been recorded, they can then be transferred to a PSP for watching on the go.

Full Article

I just wanted to point-out that Sony just intoduced the PS3 DVR add-on over in Japan. These boxes are so-much-more than just a game console.

New "Torne" add-on to launch in March alongside 250GB model of console, recorded programs transferrable to PSP.

Sony's recent PlayStation 3 marketing campaign has revolved around the slogan, "It only does everything." Starting in March, "everything" will include being a TiVo-style digital video recorder--in Japan, anyway.

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan today introduced Torne, an external digital terrestrial tuner for the PS3. Set to launch in March, Torne will sell for ¥9,980 ($110) and allow users to watch and record TV broadcasts.

It will also allow users to schedule recordings, and it can record those programs in the background even if the system is doing something else, like playing a DVD or a PS3 game. (However, background recording is not possible while players are using older PS3s to play PlayStation 2 games.) Other features include support for closed captioning, multiple languages, and program guide navigation with a standard PS3 controller or Sony's official Blu-ray remote.

The Torne's usefulness extends to the PSP as well. Once programs have been recorded, they can then be transferred to a PSP for watching on the go.
A few of us were posting about this about a year ago they had this in Europe already i believe!

Full Article

Here it is!
PlayTV - Use your PS3 as a TiVo/DVR

At Games Convention in Leipzig Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) unveiled PlayTV, a combined TV tuner and Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for the PS3. PlayTV will be available in UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain early in 2008, with other PAL territories to follow in due course. No word yet as to a North American release date.
PlayTV - Use your PS3 as a TiVo/DVR

Yeah, PlayTV won't work here, digital TV is huge in Europe. Without reading more about it, the Japan thing is probably something similar, and also something that wouldn't work here.

OTA DVR isn't exactly a booming business.

all statements here are correct except for one, you dont NEED a wireless adapter to play online, if there is a way you can get a ethernet connection the to the xbox then you are good...other then that 360 would be the way to go.

Find an older Linksys wireless router and it can be turned into a wireless bridge....very cheap solution. But to be honest with you I prefer wired over wireless especially during gaming.

Here is another vote for the 360. The online is much better overall in my opinion. I have both systems and by far I play the 360 more. Right now I only play Blu-ray movies on my PS3.

I have had the 360 for over 4 years now. After 2 years I got my first Red ring of death, and got a referb console in its place. Now I am getting lots of disc read error messages. My console is pretty much dead. Cost would be over $100 to fix it.
I do love the 360, but I feel very cheated as the hardware is terrible. My copy of COD Mod 2 is from Xmas, and hasn't been out of the drive, but every time I try to play online, I get disc read errors. I have a son who has a PS3 for a few years now, and has not had one problem with it.
The PS3 is a much better value. I will be trading in my 360 to gamestop for some credit towards a PS3. Don't listen to those who say that the Xbox live experience is so much better than PSN. They are both aobut the same for gameplay in my opinion, and you don't have to pay $50 per year for the psn.
Like I said, I do really like the Xbox 360, but it still amazes me that the public stands behind a console that has such a high failure rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts