Better perfomer: 811 or 6000?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I recently purchased the HDTV in a bo:mad:34" monitor and 811 STB) and I
stopped using my 6000 model STP. My question: I know the 811 has upgraded
features like the DVI output and the picture in guide, but what unit gives
the best picture quality and overall performance? Any opinions?

briani said:

Brian use the search feature on this site and you should get a number of threads that discuss this. PQ is very subjective and you will get a wide range depending on when the person wrote the posts during the early life of the 811. I have an 811 and had the 6000. I am very happy with my 811 and I feel that for most content the 811 is slightly better on my GWII. On dark content the 6000 does a little better of a job with shadow detail. There is some feeling on here that there is differences between some 811 revs and that some do better than others in regard to PQ. Look at the 811 forum and you should get all the info you need. This is very hard question to answer and there is a lot of opinions out there.

Overall, I am very happy I went with the 811 over my 6000. Others say they are not. Mileage will vary.

briani said:

You've got both receivers. Why not judge for yourself?

My opinion is my 6000 outperforms my 811 in overall picture using the component outputs. The 6000 has a brighter picture, whereas the 811 has "crushed" blacks - the dark scenes have no discernable background images, where on the 6000 you could make out the back wall or a doorway. I like Alias, and the dark scenes while watching with the 811 are unbearable. Plus the wife prefers the 6000 picture to the 811.
So I'm going to retire my 811.

I put the 811 in the bedroom and put the 6000 on my 55" Mits. I cannot directly compare the two pictures side by side, obviously, and besides, we're talking 34" direct-view CRT vs. a RPTV. I will say this: I dislike using the 6000 now. The 811 is faster, has the current Dish GUI, does picture-in-guide, and has a two-day guide (within bug limits). Plus, my 7 year old son is addicted to the Instant Weather channel 9500! (will there be a way to lock out the OpenTV apps when we get them?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts