Better to buy or lease

JRH

Original poster
Nov 17, 2005
Hello everyone. I am new here and grateful in advance for the advice I might receive...

I am getting a pocketdish for my wife for Christmas but right now we have a 508 and a 510 neither of which will ever work with the pocket dish.

We are not HD people at the moment so it seems a 625 is the way to go...

We own the receivers we have and I never considered the lease option before...

Just thought someone might have some experience/thoughts one way or another. Cheaper seems better unless there is some string to leasing that I am not thinking of..

Thanks for the tips

JRH

First, E* might not offer you a lease, but if they do, remember that you only get to do one a year (at best).

Second, if you can only get a 522 and not a 625, don't worry about it - there's no good reason for a 625 - the Dish On Demand feature is worthless.

For what its worth....

I called Dish and arranged for a 522. One time fee of 100 dollars. She said it already works with pocket dish

We see after the install :)

Thanks for the help

ahh you could of purchased a brand new never activated 522 for not much more than that on e bay and saved the lease fees and hassle

Since there are ways to purchase a 625 outright on the web and they claim they will activate one on an existing account, why don't they just offer it as a lease/buy option rather than confusing current customers?

Well E WANTS EVERYONE LEASE ONLY, but customer resistance has made that impossible

so they actively discourage purchases, and try their best to lease whenever possible

They leased boxes show up as a company asset, which helps their fiancials look better

plus upgrades to dual tuner boxes can get complicated, and sometimes its cheaper to send a tech than spend hours on the phone troubleshooting.

Of course for many of us here, tech is a challenge we enjoy:)

Bob Haller said:
ahh you could of purchased a brand new never activated 522 for not much more than that on e bay and saved the lease fees and hassle
Save a lease fee? Fraid not. It's $5 lease or $5 add'l tuner.

So if I am leasing a 510 and buy a 501 will I pay $5 lease fee for the 510 AND a $5 addtn receiver fee for 501? Is there anyway to make the 501 the primary reciever and save $5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)