BEV 9220/Dish 942 off-air antenna issue

DiscoRage

Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I hope this is the right forum. I hooked makeshift antenna up to my TV and I'm able to pick up most Toronto stations, and a few Buffalo stations. I have an old BEV 9220 kicking around, but no dish to hook up to it. When I hook my antenna into the off-air tuner, I get "Error 024: Unable to access this feature at this time. Data not available." when trying to add local channels.

I get the same error if I try to open the guide. Last time I had it hooked up to a dish, everything was working fine. I've read that error 024 is usually related to an issue with the hard drive, but I'm able to access everything I have saved to the hard drive. Even things I recorded 4 years ago.

Any ideas?

DISH 942 is no longer supported in US due to TiVo law suit so I have no idea how your BEV 9220 is affected. Early DISH HD receivers needed a DISH signal to be able to tune an ATSC signal. So if that is true with your 9220 connect a dish aimed at a BEV satellite and it should work.

The tivo lawsuit had no effect in Canada. We JUST got tivo maybe two years ago and they haven't been integrated with any of the service providers, as far as I know. The receiver works fine, but the issue is, I don't have a dish here. I was just hoping to be able to use the PVR functionality with digital signals.

I'm pretty sure boba is right. Buy a dish and one lnb off of ebay, or even before that if you have a neighbor/relative/friend near by with a dish already up give it a try at their house.

Do I need to actually have a signal, or will just having an LNB hooked up get 'er going? I'm pretty sure I can't get a clear line of site from my patio. Downtown(ish) Toronto, tall buildings everywhere.

You will need a signal, just connecting the LNB will make no difference to what you have now.

You will need a signal, just connecting the LNB will make no difference to what you have now.

Are you absolutely sure? While googling last night, I actually found a thread I started in this forum in September 06 when I first moved to Toronto. I was asking if I could use the PVR functionality with basic cable. Without having a dish hooked up, I was able to pick up analog cable channels without PVR functionality. I didn't get the error message.

Are you absolutely sure? While googling last night, I actually found a thread I started in this forum in September 06 when I first moved to Toronto. I was asking if I could use the PVR functionality with basic cable. Without having a dish hooked up, I was able to pick up analog cable channels without PVR functionality. I didn't get the error message.

No, I'm not absolutely sure, that is why I suggested you take the receiver to someone else that has a signal from Bell TV to confirm this (read post #4). Right now it is not working for you and like boba said people with the Dish version of this box needed to do this to get their PVR to work with OTA...

The two things I am sure about is that it is not curently working now for you & just hooking up an LNB pointed at a wall will not make any difference.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)