BEV and PVR (which one to use)???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
Here is a question for you BEV users - what, if anything, is the best PVR setup to use that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? The person in my family that is doing this is not necessarily looking to pay a monthly subscription fee (such as for TiVO), and chances are that wouldn't work with BEV anyway (actually, is a TiVO with no subscription good for anything at all)?

All they really want is something that can record the programs (including the HD stuff) for time-shift purposes, so if they are at work they can view the program later. They don't mind having to pre-program the unit (as you would a VCR). I figure at least one of you guys that has these setups has figured out some way to record, so what do you do?

If there is another forum that this would be better asked in, feel free to point me to it.

Also, is it true that if a BEV receiver accidentally "sees" a Dish Network satellite first (in other words, if you accidentally point the dish at the wrong satellite while aiming it), it becomes useless?

I'm no longer a EVu customer, but I should be able to answer them :)

anik said:
Here is a question for you BEV users - what, if anything, is the best PVR setup to use that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? The person in my family that is doing this is not necessarily looking to pay a monthly subscription fee (such as for TiVO), and chances are that wouldn't work with BEV anyway (actually, is a TiVO with no subscription good for anything at all)?
The PVR's with ExpressVu have no DVR fee :)
All they really want is something that can record the programs (including the HD stuff) for time-shift purposes, so if they are at work they can view the program later. They don't mind having to pre-program the unit (as you would a VCR). I figure at least one of you guys that has these setups has figured out some way to record, so what do you do?
The unit will only record SD. I had a VCR hooked up and just programmed the VCR and the unit (3100). I made the VCR the same time zone as the box, so I didnt have to figure out "well, if its on at 12:30, then I set it for 11:30"
The DVR just select the program and it would record
If there is another forum that this would be better asked in, feel free to point me to it.
this is the right place :)
Also, is it true that if a BEV receiver accidentally "sees" a Dish Network satellite first (in other words, if you accidentally point the dish at the wrong satellite while aiming it), it becomes useless?
if you aim towards Dish and let it download software first, then you're screwed. For me it was easy, as EVu is almost south and Dish is SE

Thanks, Iceberg. But I don't understand, are you saying that a standard VCR is capable of recording HD signals?

anik said:
Are you saying that a standard VCR is capable of recording HD signals?

You question is a bit vague.

Are you asking: Can I record the signal from a HD channel for later viewing?

If so the answer is yes, you can record it in SD quality even on a VCR if the HD receiver has composite or RF outputs.

or are you asking: Can I record a HD signal for later viewing?

The answer is that the only Canadian satellite unit that will do this is the Motorola DSR530 launching on May 15 for new customers.

http://www.starchoice.com/english/learn/hardware/dsr530.asp

Right, the question is, is there any way to record the HD signal (not SD) from a BEV receiver for later viewing. Okay, let me ask this a bit differently (and please remember I'm acting as an intermediary and don't personally have HD myself, so please forgive me if my questions aren't worded properly).

It is my understanding that the HD video signals come out of the back of the BEV unit on a three part cable with the three parts corresponding to the three primary colors (there's also another type of connector but for the moment let's ignore that one). I'm assuming a basic Dish Network receiver has much the same arrangement. Okay, so you have that video signal going into your HDTV monitor, and you can watch it in real time.

NOW - is there any sort of PC card that you could connect those cables to instead, that would capture that signal (plus the audio, of course) and save it to a hard drive so that it could be played back later? If so, is there a card with passthru capability, that can receive the signal and simultaneously pass it on to the TV, or substitute its own output (allowing live TV to be paused for a phone call, etc.)?

The problem I perceive is that most cards typically used in PVR applications either don't support HDTV to begin with, or if they do, they have their own built in receiver and won't record a signal that's already been processed by another receiver - true or not? Because as I say, the ideal card for this application would have a red in and a red out, green in and green out, etc. and you'd connect the receiver to the ins, and connect the outs to the HDTV monitor. Does no one make an HDTV card like this?

Would it make a difference if that other type of video output on the back of the receiver was used?

No, nobody makes a Consumer card out to do what you want because you would be recording an analog signal and there is noway to put the encryption into an analog signal to prevent copying and distributing that signal. BEV is supposed to come out with a HD PVR in the next few months to be able to record though.

I work at pinnaclesys.com and liquid edition 6.1 comes with a component breakout box. And this does support capture of HD via RGB. Also another option is a HD-VCR (JVC HMDH30000U for example) where HD is captured via IEEE (Some TV's have IEEE out connection). However I have not tried either, main concern being that the HD signal is encripted...but I have been told by a few that the IEEE and a HD-VCR does work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)